2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Can't agree. We have continually struggled against Falkirk, St Mirren and Accies. I don't think im the only 'well fan that is immeasurably more confident of being able to get a result ahead of a game against Hibs/Aberdeen/Hearts than I am against Accies or St Mirren, and it's no surprise those two have zero footballing ability at all.

Against the first three teams, they play football, which means we play football....and in any given match we have a reasonable chance of doing it better than them.

Against the bottom-dwellers, they don't play football, they bully teams...and physically we're a soft touch and have been for a long time.

Can't agree. We have continually struggled against Falkirk, St Mirren and Accies. I don't think im the only 'well fan that is immeasurably more confident of being able to get a result ahead of a game against Hibs/Aberdeen/Hearts than I am against Accies or St Mirren, and it's no surprise those two have zero footballing ability at all.

Against the first three teams, they play football, which means we play football....and in any given match we have a reasonable chance of doing it better than them.

Against the bottom-dwellers, they don't play football, they bully teams...and physically we're a soft touch and have been for a long time.

Also, where I disagree. We have won just as many points against them as they have against us. As we are similar sized clubs there is no reason why it should be in our favour either. We have continually struggled for points against the Old Firm....I'm not convinced we have gainst the teams you mentioned. We will never be a team that will consistently beat all of the remaining ten over the course of a season. McGhee's first season was a rarity but even then we caught a few sore defeats to the kind of teams you mentioned. We are unlikely to have the funds to secure a team that can do it all....mix up it up and/or play silky football and consistently get the right results. They would get picked off by bigger teams in a heartbeat. The three teams you mentioned, two of them are down and the third will be one of the favourites to go next time. I'm happy with our lot, more than happy infact, and will take the odd defeat to Accies, St Mirren, or Falkirk, to get regular decent results at Pittodrie and Tynecastle.

Either way my original point may have been lost. That was I have limited knowledge of Higdon but I saw him play three times last season. All against us. On one of those occasion he WAS a liablity with his aggression and attitude. My point is I hope that wasn't his normal game/attitude. We certainly don't need the kind of performance he put in THAT day.

To be honest, I think you're completely missing my point...seems you think i'm suggesting we be like and play like those teams, and i'm not at all. Im just saying that skill and ability are of no use if you're lying on your arse cos a bigger guy knocked you down. You can't beat a man from there, you can't pass from there, and you sure as hell can't shoot from there. Im not at all saying we should change the way that we play, im saying it's refreshing to finally have someone that isn't going to get knocked down, and therefore will still be in a situation to shoot or play because they A - will still be upright, and B - will have a fair chance of still having the ball.

To be honest, I think you're completely missing my point...seems you think i'm suggesting we be like and play like those teams, and i'm not at all. Im just saying that skill and ability is no use if you're lying on your arse cos a bigger guy knocked you down. You can;t shoot from there. Im not at all saying we should change the way that we play, just that it's refreshing to finally have someone that isn't going to get knocked down, and therefore will still be in a situation to shoot or play because they A - will still be upright, and B - will have a fair chance of still having the ball.

Likewise. I'm not saying physicality is an out and out bad thing. I have said I think we HAVE players in our squad who can mix it up and we need that when the game goes that way. What I am saying is it doesn't work and is a liability when a key member of your squad gets sent off/suspended when he can't keep his aggression/petulance/attitude in check when his team are fighting for a result. That IS what happened with Higdon on that day and that is what I'm hoping is not a part of his regular game whilst he is wearing a Motherwell jersey.

Falkirk and Accies played better football than Hibs or Aberdeen have recently and hearts tend to be a dirty hard tackling team at times as well so i completely disagree with that point.

As for Higdon signing i'm not confident that he can do it for us.He's had a couple of decent years at St mirren but his overall record for a forward isn't great and any time i've seen him his 1st touch tends to be awful.Imo they've got a better player in Thompson and we had a better player in Sutton.He'll score goals but i'd be very surprised if he scores as many as this season.I'll hold my hands up and admit i was talking pish if he does well but he's not a player i'd have went for.

Funnily enough, Higdon was my first thought to replace Sutton when he left.

Strong, aggressive and an eye for goal.

He does seem to be a bit lazy and at times over weight, but that will come down to the management team to keep tabs on.

However, the balance in midfield and wide players will determine his success at F.P.

Hopefully S.M. can fit the final pieces of the jigsaw in the coming weeks (Gomis type of midfielder) and things will start to look rosy for next season.

I'm pretty sure with the right service, M.H. will be a huge player for us.

Funny you should mention him, I think we miss Giles Coke more than we realise.

*to clarify - I mean the Giles Coke when he applied himself. He did tend to drift away for periods of the season.

Coke was a tremendous talent that we failed to get the best out of. Granted, that seems to be the story of his career so far but how Broon could regularly stick him wide left is beyond me. It's a shame we never got to see a midfield trio of Hateley, Jennings & Coke flourish.

I am happy with Higdon coming in. I mind the goal he scored to beat us1-0 in the scottish so stuck a quid on him and St Mirredn to beat Celtic 1-0 and hey ho £100 to me. He will score goals for us no problem

To be honest, I think you're completely missing my point...seems you think i'm suggesting we be like and play like those teams, and i'm not at all. Im just saying that skill and ability are of no use if you're lying on your arse cos a bigger guy knocked you down. You can't beat a man from there, you can't pass from there, and you sure as hell can't shoot from there. Im not at all saying we should change the way that we play, im saying it's refreshing to finally have someone that isn't going to get knocked down, and therefore will still be in a situation to shoot or play because they A - will still be upright, and B - will have a fair chance of still having the ball.

I've been saying exactly the same thing for years Al and been given pelters for it. I like all MFC teams to be hard physically. Not cloggers or hammer throwers, but guys who can hold their own and not be bullied. If the opposition (including both halves of the OF) have big physical guys then I like to think we won't be bullied or intimidated by them. I noticed Catweazels Ring Piece mentioned Morgano Gomis. Now there's a guy who isn't big but is as tough as nails. The likes of Keith Lasley, Steven Craigan and Steve Jennings have all been flattened by him in 50/50 challenges.

What we now need is the right guy to partner Higdon up front. Someone solid physically with a bit of pace would suit us nicely.

Might not like Imrie, but he was by the length of the street the best Accies player last season and would be great addition to our squad. Wondering just how much they are wanting for him, can't imagine he's happy in Division One.

+1

This is also the same when we play each side of the Old Firm. We are continually bullied by Rangers and haven't won against them since the dawn of time. However playing Celtic we seem to have had more positive results due to them trying to play football on the deck as well as ourselves.

The relegation fodder know how to play one way and that is to hoof the ball up and be physical and hoping for the best and we sadly lack being physical at times and it has cost us points.

The discussion last night between Al B and Finlay was the most sensible and reasonable debate I've read on this forum in a long time - cheers guys.

There's no doubt Sutton improved in his time with us so hopefully Higdon will also be helped to work on his game.

Scott Burns of the Daily Express has said on twitter we tried to get Dougie Imrie but couldn't afford him

Accies will be looking for a fee. Wouldn't be overly surprised if he eventually ends up at Fir Park..

Apparently he's on £1k a week at Accies. I'd hope that the transfer fee isn't the only part of the deal we wont pay for. No way should we be giving out a grand a week to players like Dougie Imrie.

I think if Scott Burns told us tommorow is Sunday I'd be reaching for a calendar to check. He tends to be part of the Lazy Hack brigade trotting out a rumour on boards such as these as facts worthy of a "Scoop" in his nasty tabloid column

Saint Mirren fans believe that they have signed a better striker in Thompson than Higdon was. Stats certainly don't back that up and personally I believe Higdon is a greater threat that Thompson is.

Saint Mirren fans believe that they have signed a better striker in Thompson than Higdon was. Stats certainly don't back that up and personally I believe Higdon is a greater threat that Thompson is.

Disagree. Think Thompson could be an absolute diamond of a signing for them. It's one of those could go either way type of signings.