2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Eremenko did say he was desperate to stay in scotland and wanted either of the old firm to buy him

I would think he has more prospect of actually playing at Rangers. Celtics midfield is pretty packed already.

Wouldn't mind seeing us going for McCourt if he was avilable on loan! The chant is already there for the taking of "Paddy McCourts steelmen army" :lol:

Stephen Hughes back on the radar ...hope MCall acts quick ..

Seems to be mixed emotions about getting Hughes back but I would be delighted if he was to come back.

Summer to Christmas of McGhee's first season was one of the most enjoyable times I have had as a Well fan. The football they played was a joy to watch and was as good as I have seen in the SPL from any team for some time. Hughes was the man pulling the strings. Admittedly he had Uncle Phil along side him and an interested Mark McGhee motivating the team but on that basis alone he would have to be a good shout surely?

Problem with his is that he's a bit of a luxury. Not quite in the same league as Alan Gow, but I always got the impression (certainly in his second season) that he just lost interest if a few passes didn't come off. When he's on his game he's an excellent playmaker, but are we really in a position to be carrying someone who is only interested 50% of the time?

I'd also be concerned that we would have to change the shape of the side a bit to accommodate him - Hately dropping back to RB at the expense of Saunders? Shunting everyone along and sticking Murph up front with The Don?

In saying that, his type of player (i.e a creative attacking mid) would be a useful addition...but it has to be the right one! Could we see Pollock step up this season?

i'd be delighted to get hughes back.

he was pulling the strings when we were playing the best fitba i've ever seen us play so i think if we get him back we can at least be confident we'll be decent to watch next season. he struggled in the first half of his second season but i thought he came back strongly in the second half from when we kicked off the unbeaten run.

From what we already have/may have overlooked:

Keep in mind Carswell broke through from the U-19's this year, based on that you would hope for his development that he may get a few more this season. Not seen enough of him to distinguish what sort of midfielder he is (creator, battler, workhorse, etc).

Page was our 5th highest scorer on the BBC table until Hateley scored against Hearts in the 3-3 game. In late August I thought he would figure in 20+ games last season. Would like to see him give McCall a few headaches if he can get into the mix.

Humphrey should be slotting away 7-8 a season, that's what I'd hope for next year.

From what we already have/may have overlooked:

Keep in mind Carswell broke through from the U-19's this year, based on that you would hope for his development that he may get a few more this season. Not seen enough of him to distinguish what sort of midfielder he is (creator, battler, workhorse, etc).

Page was our 5th highest scorer on the BBC table until Hateley scored against Hearts in the 3-3 game. In late August I thought he would figure in 20+ games last season. Would like to see him give McCall a few headaches if he can get into the mix.

Humphrey should be slotting away 7-8 a season, that's what I'd hope for next year.

Based on his 1st team appearances, Carswell looks like one to break up the play and keep things simple. I'm not sure if that has been his natural role coming from the ranks but he certainly didn't look out of place in the 1st team.

Big season for Page, centre half by trade but I like the look of him in midfield. Given the relative depth in midfield and defence however, I can't see him being any more that a utility player.

As for Stephen Hughes, it was an honour to have a player of his ability at Fir Park and as mentioned previously, he was instrumental in the best play we have seen from Motherwell since the early 90s. While I'd be pleased to have Hughes park, I'd prefer to go down the route of bringing in a younger player from the lower leagues in England who is hungry to develop his game and ultimately use Motherwell as a stepping stone.

• Like 2

From the BBC gossip column:

Midfielder Stephen Hughes could be on his way back to Motherwell now that it looks like he is not in Paul Lambert's plans for Norwich in the Premier League. (News of the World)

From the BBC gossip column:

Midfielder Stephen Hughes could be on his way back to Motherwell now that it looks like he is not in Paul Lambert's plans for Norwich in the Premier League. (News of the World)

Normally I wouldn't pay attention to anythin the News of the World claim, but I reckon there could be something behind this. I hope so, I reckon the creative ability of Hughes alongside the tenacity of Jennings and Lasley in a midfield three would be fantastic.

As for Stephen Hughes, it was an honour to have a player of his ability at Fir Park

Woooaaaaaaah!

You mean it was an honour for Stephen Hughes to don a claret and amber shirt and ply his trade on our hallowed turf.

Stephen Hughes isn't 'above' Motherwell.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Source?

His imagination probably.

Gunning doesn't even get mentioned as a slight pie-in-the-sky rumour amongst the Kilmarnock fans on Pie & Bovril, never mind looking to be "on his way to Killie" (and neither does Blackman).

Why on earth would Killie get Gunning before us, just can't see that one.

On Hughes, I would struggle to place him in our current squad. I am more than happy with a Jennings Lasley or Hateley... even an on form Forbes pairing in centre mid so would only feel comfortable with someone with similar attributes breaking that up. At this stage in shugs career he seems like a bit of a luxury, might be useful to pad the squad but that's about it.

I want a quality winger (can we clone a left footed hump?) and another striker or two. Youth to step it up again.

I understand that but Paddy McCourt and Blackman couldn't care who they sign for

Probably cause they're one of our main rivals in the SPL - although if they don't sort something out can see them battling relegation, while I think we'll still be well clear of that!

I wouldn't be too gutted to lose Gunning, he's a good player, but a bit Jekyll and Hyde. I think a creative midfielder is a must, regardless whether Jennings stays or not. I unlike many, rate Forbes and I think if he was given a run of games at the head of a three man midfield he would be effective. McCall did hint the other day we would be playing that formation.

As for Hughes, if he can get anywhere near his first season form I wouldn't hesitate to take him back. It would make sense aswell, apparently his mrs and kid have still been living in Motherwell the full time he has been down South.

Its all very well saying your more than happy with Jennings, Lasley and Hateley. As three individuals I don't have a gripe with any of them but as a unit they are too defensive which means all our attacks become focused down the wing. Which is fine when the wingers are playing well but wingers by trade are inconsistent so getting a midfielder into the middle who can create as well gives us another dimension which means our opponents have another problem to answer when trying to set up against us. Does that make Hughes the answer? I have no idea. He generally did well for us under McGhee and if he comes back with the same application as when he started then he could be again but he is two years older and is maybe having to come to terms that he will never make the EPL and motivation may not be the same or he could be grateful to play again. Could go either way. But a player of his style is just what we need.

Its all very well saying your more than happy with Jennings, Lasley and Hateley. As three individuals I don't have a gripe with any of them but as a unit they are too defensive which means all our attacks become focused down the wing.

One of our major flaws last season and it was very noticeable in the Cup Final (substituting Hammell for Hately).