2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Hughes was in the Moorings for lunch today, sat behind me. Based on everything, a central Scottish club would be right up his street. Unlikely now he'd move for a money transfer in 1-2 years time so we're unlikely to make anything out of him, so its all about his weekly wage I reckon.

i can't believe there is even a debate about this.

some of hughes' performances were total class. think about winning at celtic park, the brazil and real madrid wins at easter road, the three draws against the h**s at fir park, him and clarky putting our season back on track against hibs on a mud heap, the 2nd half in the snow at tynecastle, wrapping up europe against the sheep, even the bottom six wins at paisley and hamilton and most of all the total football wins over the sheep and united in dec 07.

the guy is only 28 and when he is on top of his game he had the sort of quality we very rarely see in a motherwell top. i also think that humphrey, hateley and especially murphy would benefit from playing with him and it might even bring on carswell and mchugh tae.

• Like 4

i can't believe there is even a debate about this.

some of hughes' performances were total class. think about winning at celtic park, the brazil and real madrid wins at easter road, the three draws against the h**s at fir park, him and clarky putting our season back on track against hibs on a mud heap, the 2nd half in the snow at tynecastle, wrapping up europe against the sheep, even the bottom six wins at paisley and hamilton and most of all the total football wins over the sheep and united in dec 07.

the guy is only 28 and when he is on top of his game he had the sort of quality we very rarely see in a motherwell top. i also think that humphrey, hateley and especially murphy would benefit from playing with him and it might even bring on carswell and mchugh tae.

This.

Bringing Hughes back would be a good bit of business if we can afford him. But as he has no deal at the moment he may feel a move back up the road is good for him and his family, so wages may not be a big issue. He was a top player last time with us and would be a good addition to the midfield, i.e someone who can hold the ball up and pick a pass out wide for Murphy or Humphrey, or over the top to Higdon.

hughes is not coming back.fact.

It must be those specs you wear. Take then off, Hughes would be an excellent signing. He is the kind of player we have been missing in midfield. He is someone who would have helped Jeffers make more of an impact than he did, because he has the vision to see forward movement. Bottom line, I hope your wrong!

Hughes would be a superb re-signing. Should suit him down to the ground in terms of play as well, being as he wouldn't have to do any form of defending, with Lasley and Jennings behind him. Normally, I would say that he can be a luxury, but with their industry, I feel we can afford the slight luxury in front of them. Someone suggested Forbes. He would do as a back-up for Hughes, but serves the same purpose, with less current ability, in that the passing is all well and good, the running, and (lack of) tackling, much less so.

Just out of interest, does anyone still have that gif or the video of Clarkson absolutely doing Hinkel at Fir Park? Down by the corner flag, knocking it one side at pace and running around the other side?

Brilliant so it was.

Is Hughes really a good signing again? He's went down south couldn't hack, came to us with the view to getting a move south again, gets it, now it's gone wrong again and he's going to come back to us, go through the motions and get a deal somebody else. I don't mind that we're a stepping stone, but not twice for the one player, especially one that went missing so often.

The same could be and was levelled at our current manager before he took the helm.

Sometimes people in football need a new challenge or a fresh start to reinvigorate their game. This sport is littered with those who were perceived as failing in one place and went elsewhere and were a sensation.

Hughes is a luxury player for a team like us. And he's another midfielder that doesn't score goals.

What we need is someone, not necessarily with Hughes technique that is going to run up and down the park, get into the box and actually be a threat himself, not someone dinking balls about from midfield. If we had an attacking midfield player making runs from the middle to front there presense alone would open up defences and create chances for strikers to move and get into space or wide players to cut inside.

When he's on form, which isn't often enough, Hughes can spot a pass but who is he going to pass it to? Higdon isn't going to run past defenders, Jennings? Lasley? Basically it's going to go to Murphy or Humphrey which completely negates the point of having a player like Hughes.

He's not what we need.

Hughes is a luxury player for a team like us. And he's another midfielder that doesn't score goals.

What we need is someone, not necessarily with Hughes technique that is going to run up and down the park, get into the box and actually be a threat himself, not someone dinking balls about from midfield. If we had an attacking midfield player making runs from the middle to front there presense alone would open up defences and create chances for strikers to move get into space or wide players to cut inside.

When he's on form, which isn't often enough, Hughes can spot a pass but who is he going to pass it to? Higdon isn't going to run past defenders, Jennings? Lasley? Basically it's going to go to Murphy or Humphrey which completely negates the point of having a player like Hughes.

He's not what we need.

Spot on mate.

What we need is someone, not necessarily with Hughes technique that is going to run up and down the park, get into the box and actually be a threat himself, not someone dinking balls about from midfield. If we had an attacking midfield player making runs from the middle to front there presense alone would open up defences and create chances for strikers to move and get into space or wide players to cut inside.

He's not what we need.

Eh?

Murphy and Humphrey would cause havoc if they had an intelligent player like Hughes threading through balls.

He's not what we need.

I completely disagree. We already have the tools in the middle of the park to break up the play, win the ball, and win the midfield battle, but we are seriously lacking someone in there to take the good work of Lasley and Jennings and progress it into a meaningful attack. Hughes has the ability and creativity to be the link between a battling midfield, and good attacking players like Murphy, Humphrey and Higdon.

I think he's exactly what we need.

There ain't to many goalscoring midfielders out there, even the old firm don't have a player who scores loads, Hughes would create the chances for Higdon, Murphy and Co. I would love us to sign a midfielder who scores goals but can't think of anyone who is available or affordable

I like Hughes and wouldn't say no because he was party to one of the best footballing periods in the clubs history, but surely if we could get Forbes to recreate what he showed 2 years ago then we'd save ourselves a lot of money. Getting his stamina, confidence and work ethic up would pay major dividends.

A midfield comprising of an uninjured Lasley and Forbes (c.2009) would provide plenty of ammo and creativity for our forward line.

Eh?

Murphy and Humphrey would cause havoc if they had an intelligent player like Hughes threading through balls.

You don't need great technique to play a ball to the side or out wide, you need that technique to play through balls from the middle. We have neither the midfielders or the forwards for that to work.

We've not had a problem getting balls out to Murphy or Humphrey, aside from poor delivery, the problem we have is those players often don't have anyone to hit because no one is attacking the box.

There is no point in bringing in Hughes who would have no one to use his greatest asset with. We need a different type of player.

I think your wrong there. If you look back to the last game against Kilmarnock. Eremenco brought their players into the game by finding a pass between defenders. That's how they got their goal. We have ended up passing to the wingers in a static position most times, rather than a defence splitting pass that they can run on to and cross. That's why we were so ineffectual in the Cup Final, our wide players always seemed to receive the ball facing their own goals, and invariably passed the ball back the way.