2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

From today's Evening Times:

Stuart McCall has reached a verbal agreement with Motherwell skipper Stephen Craigan over a one-year contract extension.

The Steelmen gaffer reacted quickly to the departure of last term’s top scorer John Sutton to Hearts by signing former St Mirren striker Michael Higdon.

But McCall has been left in a sweat over the signatures of Craigan and midfield general Stevie Jennings, who have both stalled on signing new deals with the Lanarkshire club.

He is now confident of keeping his captain and is delighted about Craggs continuing presence at the heart of the Well rearguard.

McCall said: “Stephen is on holiday in Ireland right now, but we have talked things over and I am happy we have a positive understanding.

“I have said all along how highly I value Stephen’s presence both on and off the park at Motherwell. We are a young side, possibly the youngest on average in the SPL and his leadership is absolutely vital to us.

“If you look at the way young lads like Stevie Saunders and Shaun Hutchinson have progressed over the last season or two then Stephen’s influence has been a huge part of that.”

However, the future of Jenno is less clear cut. The former Tranmere Rovers star is being tracked by Aberdeen gaffer Craig Brown as a replacement for the retired Paul Hartley, but it is believed the midfielder is not keen to relocate to Pittodrie.

There is also thought to be League One interest in Jennings, who would find a return south of the border attractive.

But McCall says he has not given up hope of keeping the 26-year-old.

The Well boss said: “We will have to wait and see how things pan out with Jenno, but I am still hopeful there.

“Obviously he is another key part of our side and it is one of these things that he is going to take his time over and assess his options.

“Motherwell are still one of those options.”

Meanwhile, the Fir Park gaffer has admitted that he will be looking to England to beef up his squad with loan players for next season.

McCall said: “Obviously we brought Gavin Gunning in from Blackburn Rovers and he did very well for us last season. I am not sure how Blackburn are planning to go forward, but we are staying in touch on that one.

“What I would anticipate is bringing in two or three talented youngsters later in the summer. English clubs are aware of the value of loaning out there top young kids to get competitive football and the SPL is a great place for them to get that.”

Well will start their pre-season build-up with a game at Dumbarton on Saturday, July 9.

I don't think its strong enough to compete for 3rd place, being realistic, that's what were aiming for in a best case scenario.

No it probably doesn't quite touch competing for 3rd. I am quite positive SM will be building a top 6 team, that is always the clubs aim. With the exception of one remarkable season out of the last 10 or so we have been a mid table team and I fully expect that to continue.

Yes aiming for 3rd is a best case scenario, but it isn't all that realistic. I usually expect Hearts and United to finish above us, it's not always the case but it often is. Plenty other teams are capable of trumping us just as we are them. I think that is realistic.

The aim should always be to build a better squad than the previous year.

The best case scenario would be to retain Jennings and sign Hughes, then we would have a very strong team.

______________________ Randolph_________________________________

Hateley _____________Hutchinson _______ Craigan ________Hammell

__________Lasley ______Hughes _________Jennings

Humphrey ____________ Higdon _______________________ Murphy

I think its crucial to have either Hughes or Jennings. If we only get one then it would have to be

_______________________Randolph _________________________________

Saunders ____________ Hutchinson ________Craigan _________ Hammell

_________ Lasley ______Hughes/Jennings __________ Hateley

Humphrey ____________ Higdon _______________________ Murphy

I then think it is also important that we get at least one more striker, a winger, a center half and Gunning.

Aye he's playing it well and being respectful to the club.

Would love to see hughes and porter back but has it been mentioned anywhere other than here?

An interview with Stuart McCall in The Express today.

Much as I'd love to see Porter and Hughes back, surely their wages will price them out of our range? They're both decent players and surely higher payers than us will be interested. They moved away for a better paypacket, are they really going to take reduced terms to come back here - and were they both not out of out range previously but Boyle bankrolled it? He's not going to be here next season to do that. And considering we have managed to maintain a fairly decent league position since they left, do we really want to jeopardise ourselves financially for an extra place higher or so in the league?

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Porter especially back in a Well shirt as much as anyone, but the future for us has to be getting younger, less expensive guys signed up for as long as possible - a la Hately, Randolph, Hutchison, Humphrey - and hopefully eventually move them on for a fee. I doubt either of them would sign on for much more than a season, meaning loads of pounds paid out and fuck all in when they inevitably move under freedom of contract, for the sake of one place in the league, maybe two if we're lucky.

I wouldnt class Ports as a target man. He is tall yes but he has very good ability with the ball at his feet and wasnt actually that good in the air.

Wether he would work well in Tandem with Higdon I dont know as it would probably be the slowest strike force in the SPL. A hard working striker like a Dougie Arnott would be an ideal partner for Higdon, dont know enough about Grella if he is that type of player.

Or will SMc be looking for a left midfielder to be able to put Murphy up top with Higdon.

I always thought Murphys best position would be in the hole behind a main striker and infront of the midfield. Kind of where a lot of people are wanting Hughes to play.

A midfield of

------Jenno-----Lasley-------

Humphrey--Murphy---A.N.Other

----------Higdon-----------

To me would be pretty decent. A.N.Other being a tricky pacy left winger/attacking midfield. I'm sure Pollock kind of fits that bill, albeit he is maybe too young. But another player to slot in there and I think that would be quite an entertaining attacking team.

Would love to see Porter back at the 'well, absolutely quality player.

EDIT - Please, in the name of all that is holy do not put "Chris Porter" in google images with the safe search off.

Young right winger from our youth setup who made the breakthrough into the first team this season with a real bang, scoring 4 times in his first 3 starts. He's out of contract but has been offered a new deal by the club, he looks a top class prospect who we would be gutted to lose.

Sky Sports

It would be extremely frustrating to lose out on a fee for another youngster due to a crazy loophole after this happened with Chris Humphrey just a few years back.

Edited by MattSTFC

Just the kind of talent we need and why Stuart McCall was hired to find. Feel sorry for Shrewsbury though as this guy came through their youth system and to possibly go for nothing is a kick in the teeth, I imagine they are a selling club too and they don't need to lose their best prospects either. I feel your pain.