2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Craig Brown even said that he shouldn't have played Reynolds in the 6-6 game because he was only 30% fit or summat, so not a particularly good example Yoshi wink.gif

Aye, was that not the one where he'd been throwing up for days before the game and had to try and pull himself together in the couple of hours before kick off?

I didn't say we were a stronger side or a stronger team, I said we're in a stronger position. Weaker in the immediate short term...but it's very much a one step back to take two steps forward.

In my opinion Hutchinson, Saunders and Gunning will all be better players than Mark Reynolds when they are his age. Page has also shown potential. Bringing Reynolds back might save us conceding a few more goals in the coming season, but where do we go from there? He's as good as he's going to get at Motherwell. In 2/3/4 seasons however...those 3 guys I mentioned will all eclipse him (barring any freak occurrence), but only if we play them.

If we have any money to spend (which I doubt we do, but for the sake of discussion...), a 19 year old, left-footed, bursting with potential Gavin Gunning is a hugely better way to spend it than a 24 year old, left footed, fully developed (as far as he can at Motherwell), comfort-zone player in Mark Reynolds.

I think the issue with Mark coming back is that he would be coming back to different Motherwell than when he left 6 months ago. There's the new management team first of all who have their own plans for the squad, such as blooding Hutchy and even Page. As well as that, there are the changes off the park to come as well with the new ownership plans.

I would have Reynolds as I thought that he was dependable but I'm also a fan of looking forward, not back.

Even at that, we couldn't afford to pay him what he's getting down south.

• Like 1

In what way?

in the way that he was constantly selling goals.

the first one up at ict when he passed the ball straight to foran.

the 2nd and 3rd at killie.

both goals at tannadice in the cup tie.

all 4 in the league game up there.

3 of the 5 at home to rangers.

the first one in the cup final and he was posted missing at the other 2.

obviously he's a young player finding his way in the game but if we're going to be playing loan players i want them to be better than the players we've got and he wasn't. gunning looked the part on the ball and was good in the air but his man marking and concentration was pish (he was like an even worse brian mclean in that regard) and he was extremely lazy tracking back. if we could sign him this summer i'd say go for it as he does have potential if he can sort the mental side of his game but i'd rather we gave our own players an opportunity than have him back on loan.

in the way that he was constantly selling goals.

the first one up at ict when he passed the ball straight to foran.

the 2nd and 3rd at killie.

both goals at tannadice in the cup tie.

all 4 in the league game up there.

3 of the 5 at home to rangers.

the first one in the cup final and he was posted missing at the other 2.

obviously he's a young player finding his way in the game but if we're going to be playing loan players i want them to be better than the players we've got and he wasn't. gunning looked the part on the ball and was good in the air but his man marking and concentration was pish (he was like an even worse brian mclean in that regard) and he was extremely lazy tracking back. if we could sign him this summer i'd say go for it as he does have potential if he can sort the mental side of his game but i'd rather we gave our own players an opportunity than have him back on loan.

The first one in the Cup Final was down to Jennings as far I I'm concerned as he stood with his arms out instead of closing the gook down. He said later he was trying to prevent him playing a 'telling pass'. You don't get much more telling than lashing one in. When the gook got the ball with Jennings 10-15 yards in front of him,he should have been closed down and fuckin quickly. No way was that anything to do with Gunning.

The third, it was also Jennings who turned side on at the end of the wall.

I do have some sympathy for what you say about Gunning though. While he's a good player, he does tend to give up a bit too easily. Technically though, the guy is a player and he is only 19.

• Like 1

Gunning was a nightmare. How often did he lose or give the ball away and then give up and worse laugh like its a wee daft game.

I think the poor form from Marky was due to the huge number of games the guy had played for us with little recovery between seasons for the last three years.

Also thought it was decent of him wanting to leave in January so the club could get money bacl for him.

Was never a fan of Reynolds tbh couldn't tackle.not strong enough. awfull passer of a ball. Was glad to get 100 grand for him. I do think he'll be back in the SPL to the likes of St.Mirren or St.Johnstone. We do need a central defender as cover for Hutchie and Craigan im not a fan of Saunders either. Not good enough either. :mellow:

The first one in the Cup Final was down to Jennings as far I I'm concerned as he stood with his arms out instead of closing the gook down. He said later he was trying to prevent him playing a 'telling pass'. You don't get much more telling than lashing one in. When the gook got the ball with Jennings 10-15 yards in front of him,he should have been closed down and fuckin quickly. No way was that anything to do with Gunning.

gunning let commons pull a ball that had travelled 60 yards through the air and turn him like he wasn't there. i think that contributed to the goal.

Not sure who exactly started the tweeting to Robbie Fowler, I think it was a 'Well fan called David McLean but over the past week or so various Motherwell fans have been sending messages to Robbie Fowler asking him to sign for Motherwell. This started when he announced he has left Perth Glory to return to the UK and wants to find a club. Earlier he asked "seriously, why are so many people asking me to sign for Motherwell?" then when I asked him if there was hope for Well fans he replied "Not my call..."

If you have Twitter join the Fowler to Motherwell Campaign. His username is Robbie9Fowler :thumbup:

• Like 1