2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Good news about Jennings if it comes about. Less good news that we will only sign two more players. I think we need at least three but that's obviously all we can afford and we'll just have to cope with it.

We were told that the budget would NOT be reduced from last season, and considering that Sutton, Jeffers, Jones, Gunning, Ross, Casagolda and Charalambous have all left, to seemingly only be bringing in FOUR new faces is very disappointing to hear.

I mean, with the cash generated from a six-game Euro campaign, a Top Six finish, a League Cup Semi and a Scottish Cup Final we MUST have made a very decent profit, plus the Reynolds sale too. To me it looks like the budget HAS been cut, despite previous promises.

We were told that the budget would NOT be reduced from last season, and considering that Sutton, Jeffers, Jones, Gunning, Ross, Casagolda and Charalambous have all left, to seemingly only be bringing in FOUR new faces is very disappointing to hear.

I mean, with the cash generated from a six-game Euro campaign, a Top Six finish, a League Cup Semi and a Scottish Cup Final we MUST have made a very decent profit, plus the Reynolds sale too. To me it looks like the budget HAS been cut, despite previous promises.

But to tell you the truth Yir elder, untill the window shuts for the new season who knows, lets just wait and see, you have a hit the nail on the head with what we should have in the bank, there might be a few suprises awaiting us, and i dont mean from my dodgey rumour site!

Just because we got it in the bank doesn't mean we need to spend it. Once the window closes we can maybe criticise if there is indeed a lack of required signings but if we get the players we need I won't worry about whether we used the budget fully or not.

Just because we got it in the bank doesn't mean we need to spend it. Once the window closes we can maybe criticise if there is indeed a lack of required signings but if we get the players we need I won't worry about whether we used the budget fully or not.

A good point indeed.

Were continually fed this line mate ,that money from certain avenues will be used to strengthen the team, but for me the squad is getting smaller and weaker, now if were struggling after 4 or 5 good seasons what happens if we hit the skids and have a few lean years.

Players salaries go up incrementally along with appearance fees etc. year on year. We could have been paying Hutchison £x from now till next summer, however the club decided to pay him £y and have him sign a year extension till 2013. Same with Humphrey and a whole host of other players last summer.

Its no so cut and dried that 6 players leave, 2 come in and that's that. A host of other players wages would be eating into a pot available and as Steve says, quality not quantity.

Law is a fine example, young guy, top assists in league 2, lots of Rotherham fans upset (why? because they know they've lost a good player and/or a decent transfer fee). He had lots of interest but he's coming to us. The club appear to be speculating to accumulate in the transfer market in the years ahead in the same way Hibs capitalised in the last 5 years.

Its also late June, lets keep things in perspective.

We as a club need to balance the books if we don't, bye bye Motherwell. We made a very small profit last year, £20,000.

So far we have made very little money from transfers this year compared to other years. £100,000 for Reynolds and that is it.

The club have given improved deals to players and promoted some from the under 19's to the full squad. We are a small club in terms of UK football. Unfortunately if we want more on the park we need more well fans to turn up at Fir Park.

I don't want Motherwell spending money they don't have.

I believe the people in charge. If they say we have spent all we can spend, then that is the case.

If you look at our squad I would take it over many in the SPL.

The chances are we will be playing less games this season so will probably get away with only needing a couple of other signings.

A centrehalf and another striker would be my choices with the hope that, Page, McHugh and Pollock along with another couple can start to push for first team starts.

If Jennings signs and the rest stay then I will be over the moon.

Players salaries go up incrementally along with appearance fees etc. year on year. We could have been paying Hutchison £x from now till next summer, however the club decided to pay him £y and have him sign a year extension till 2013. Same with Humphrey and a whole host of other players last summer.

Its no so cut and dried that 6 players leave, 2 come in and that's that. A host of other players wages would be eating into a pot available and as Steve says, quality not quantity.

Law is a fine example, young guy, top assists in league 2, lots of Rotherham fans upset (why? because they know they've lost a good player and/or a decent transfer fee). He had lots of interest but he's coming to us. The club appear to be speculating to accumulate in the transfer market in the years ahead in the same way Hibs capitalised in the last 5 years.

Its also late June, lets keep things in perspective.

Thats a fair point mate.

Didn't we give pro contracts to some of the U19 players? That could account for some of the cash even if they aren't on huge wages.

Most of the responses to my post have been fair comment, but the point remains that we CANNOT continue to allow more players to leave than we bring in, unless we have one or two excellent youngsters coming through who are ready for the first team.

Didn't we give pro contracts to some of the U19 players? That could account for some of the cash even if they aren't on huge wages.

Jennings and Gunning will definitely be on improved contracts, and Craigans new contract will be equally lucrative.

The budget doesn't just go on new signings, I'm pretty sure Hutchisons extended contract will have made a decent dent in the budget also.

Most of the responses to my post have been fair comment, but the point remains that we CANNOT continue to allow more players to leave than we bring in, unless we have one or two excellent youngsters coming through who are ready for the first team.

It does look like we are losing more than we are bring in. Some might say just getting rid of some dead wood. No disrespect to those who have left.

I totally get your point though. The players that have left, did they really add that much to the squad? Ok Sutton did but everyone else. Not really.

I want 2 more players of a decent standard brought in no more casa fecking golda milking Motherwell Football Club.

The chances are we will be playing less games this season so will probably get away with only needing a couple of other signings.

A centrehalf and another striker would be my choices with the hope that, Page, McHugh and Pollock along with another couple can start to push for first team starts.

The youngsters/fringe players are perhaps the squad fillers that some haven't factored in. It remains to be seen what McCall does with them in terms of loaning them out but as it stands our squad is quite heavy with players in that are close to or have the U19 age ceiling or are not quite first XI material yet.

Not including the older youngsters (if you can have such a thing) like Page and McHugh you've almost a reserve XI with Tom Bradley, Ross McKinnon Dario Quinn, Jordan Halsman, Stuart Carswell, Peter Innes, Steven Lawell, Steve Howarth, Gary Smith and Jamie Pollock as back up to the recognised first team.

Certainly McCall seemed to rate Carswell and gave him some game time towards the end of the season. Remains to be seen how much of an impact he and some of the others can make but I would hope to see one or two of them make the breakthrough.

If you actually sit down and look at the players we have from Randolph right the way to say Carswell you would probably say we are doing better than ok. A solid enough squad but take out say 4 or 5 first team regulars then things might get a bit hairy.

In John Porteous we trust :notworthy: