2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

I'm pretty sure we are well beyond signing the likes of Jim Paterson thankfully.

McCall is clearly after a left sided defender with a bit of pace that can cover both centre half and left back. Gunning and Reynolds fit the bill. Page certainly has something to offer but I'm not quite sure where he fits in.

Still amazed if we aren't actively pursuing another striker. Higdon and Murphy need some source of competion as they both tend to go through purple patches.

Ideal situation would be selll Randolph, use his wages to bring in the keeper McCall has lined up and use a small proportion of the transfer fee to bolster the squad with 1 or 2 significant additions. The rest of the transfer fee would then help tide things over in the absence of Boyle/Fan ownership.

Agreed. Massive season for McHugh and maybe to a lesser extent Smith.....but we do need another 'proven' goalscorer on the books. Injury and a suspension at the same time to Murphy and Higdon and we would be in trouble.

Murphy would struggle to make an impact on the Premiership at the moment as he doesn't have the physical build that is needed down there. Better staying with us for another season where hopefully he can get a bit of consistency into his game and sustain a high level of performance throughout the season instead of 1 good game in every half dozen matches.

No he hasn't, Goodwillie is a better player.

Have to agree, as much as goodwillie's a right knob, he's currently the better player. However, if utd get 2m for goodwillie, i'd say 1m for murphy is fair in comparison. Not how it works though is it..

FWIW, McCall says this morning that he's only "hoping to bring in one more player".

http://sport.stv.tv/...ter-morton-win/

thats a bit disappointing to hear we could only be getting one more player which will be another defender going by what mccall has been saying.i think we badly need another forward only having two senior stikers in the squad leaves us short

what are you basing this on?

Probably the fact that he's seen Goodwillie and he's seen Murphy. Goodwillie is a total radge as we're all aware, but on a football level, Goodwillie is a step above Murphy for me. He has the single mindedness of a striker and the swagger to back up his ability. He's faster, stronger and is capable of some outrageous touches.

Murphy is a very good player for us and will have a good career in football, but if you offered me Goodwillie for Murphy, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I personally think both Murphy and the wee prick are much of a muchest. I have never watched Goodwillie play against Well and thought he was outstanding.

Both good young Scottish talents, Murphy faster with more skill and Goidwillie is prob more powerful .

What was there goals ratios like last year.

I can see why you would want to compare them but Murphy set against Goodwillie isn't quite an exact like for like comparison.

For me Goodwillie is much more a clinical striker than Murph whereas Jamie is a more rounded forward capable of creativity as well as chipping in with his fare share.

Repuation wise I think an out and out striker usually gets the more acclaim, whether that's fair or not.

EDIT: Beat me to it Sieb!!

Agreed. Murphy has the superior talent, mentality and mindset.

Wouldn't say he's better but he's certainly worth more. Still growing .He's gets better with every game he plays as he learns but goodwillie is at the moment a better, stronger and more experienced player. Have to agree that Murphy is mentally better off... and he's not raped anyone recently.... so his transfer fee should be higher as he's not a liability. Another season with us will be his best option.

• Like 1

Surely we should be hoping to get more than the £700'000 quoted? If he was playing down south there would be at least a seven-figure price on his head so i dont see why we shouldnt be holding out for at least a million, especially with the market just now.

As for Goodwillie and Murphy both 2 different types of players so you cant really compare them, although there both young and got plenty to learn.

Would hate to see Murphy leave but surely the money would be re invested into the team would bring us in a couple if not 3 new faces to bolster the squad.

And as for Randolph, he was our prize asset last season and without him we would have conceded alot more goals. Would be difficult to replace IMO.

“We’re hoping to bring one more player but we will mainly be looking for the players we have to kick on,” McCall, who is rumoured to still be interested in bringing Gavin Gunning back to the club on loan, stressed.

Saw this on the official site. Didn't realise the club was now reporting rumours about their own manager's potential signings!

Saw this on the official site. Didn't realise the club was now reporting rumours about their own manager's potential signings!

well the website isn't directly linked with the gaffer or the management/directors/executives is it? it's just to let out news and information so perhaps the writer of the story or even those who work on the site don't know exactly what McCall is doing in regards to Gunning.

murphy is a player who will benefit from playing alongside better players. his link ups with barry bannan for scotland u21 were a joy to watch.

put him in a better team where he is carrying less of the creative load and i think his goal return would increase greatly. when mcdonald went to celtic he didn't have to work as hard and focussed more on scoring.

That reminds me - on the twitter description of our second goal last night, Saunders assist was described as a "Lovely ball across the corridor of uncertainty" - does anyone have any idea where that is? I thought it must be some pass if he's played it from Craggs hallway to Pollock, either that or Flows being overdoing the creative writing classes. There were also a couple of parts of the match report on the official website which doesn't really describe the action for those who weren't there.

Straying off topic, but I just hope we don't have to read "McCall, the former Rangers player.....", "McCall, the ex Bradford Gaffer...." etc. on every official site report this season.

I lost count of how many times that happened last season. It's bad enough in the media, we don't really need it on our club web site.

• Like 1

murphy is a player who will benefit from playing alongside better players. his link ups with barry bannan for scotland u21 were a joy to watch.

put him in a better team where he is carrying less of the creative load and i think his goal return would increase greatly. when mcdonald went to celtic he didn't have to work as hard and focussed more on scoring.

As much as I would hate to see Murphy leave Fir Park, for the sake of his own career development I completely agree with the comments from Steelboy.

Playing with better players will bring on Murphy no end.

Good luck to him if he gets the move. If so, I hope that a good chunk can be invested in signings and also contracts.

I personally feel that the squad is incredibly bare.