2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Just finished watching the Vancouver Columbus game ( yes, I watch the mls, shoot me) and the comentator said in the build up to the game that a Scottish team is looking at Vancouver striker Eric hassli. Could it be us?

From what Ive seen he's very very good striker, but is a bit like jenno and takes silly red cards, but he could do a job for us.

Just finished watching the Vancouver Columbus game ( yes, I watch the mls, shoot me) and the comentator said in the build up to the game that a Scottish team is looking at Vancouver striker Eric hassli. Could it be us?

From what Ive seen he's very very good striker, but is a bit like jenno and takes silly red cards, but he could do a job for us.

1 red card in 2 seasons hardly suggests that Jenno is prone to red cards :rolleyes:

Sounds like he might be more hassli than he's worth

1 red card in 2 seasons hardly suggests that Jenno is prone to red cards :rolleyes:

And that red card was, frankly, a complete farce from an erse official.

Wiki on yon Frenchman......... Sounds Good...........

Not a bad finish this....

Whoomph...........

Found this Bolton website spouting pish about Murphy,now who said the English were a bunch of arrogant t@@ts.

Bolton Wanderers: 57 Varities?

.....cause somewhere in the crowd there's you.

Sorry. Morning. You caught me in the middle of my morning Abba rectical. Nothing quite a nice blast of Waterloo to clear the senses early doors I say.

You know that July is reaching the peak of it's silly season when papers start linking you with players that you have never heard of. Fotwana Bangala, the Senegalese left back currently playing with Foggia? No? Then you obviously don't know your Italian football my friend. Sven Massivelob, currently controlling the middle of the park for Icelandic team Ragnar Sturlusson? You really need to get on Wikipedia more. Jamie Murphy, 21 year old striker for Motherwell. Are you having a lau...?

No, actually, the third one actually does exist and The Daily Star, currently holding the high ground amongst the red tops, are saying that we are fighting Nutty Neil and the jet set crew at QPR for him. For a price of £700K he's yours.

Knowing nothing about the lad, I went onto the aforementioned online encyclopedia and found that he has scored 22 goals in 135 appearances, although to be fair to him half of his appearances are from the bench. Hmmm......rough diamond? With that goals per games ratio, he'll fit right into our strike force.

You would think he was talking about Barcelona not Bolton ffs. :wank:

"The corridor of uncertainty" is a phrase also used to describe the unknown wave forms and unpredictable movements of people experiencing the narrow channel of the wave pool at Vinpearl Land, Natrang, Vietnam

Mibee we're signing somebody from the far east.

By the way Happy Slappy that team above disnae have a goalie !!!!

Found this from this weeks Wishaw Press an interview with Derek Weir,looks like we are getting one more permanent signing then some loan deals,

Law signing proves we got it right with Stuart McCall – Derek Weir

Jul 6 2011 by Andrew Weston, Wishaw Press

MOTHERWELL vice-chairman Derek Weir says the ability to lure hot prospects like Nicky Law north of the border shows the club were right to target Stuart McCall as manager.

Law signed a two-year-deal last week after his contract at English League Two side Rotherham United expired.

The midfielder rejected advances from a number of clubs down south to join up at Motherwell and when he signed his contract it was the first time he had set foot in Scotland.

Despite many assuming McCall was not first choice to replace previous boss Craig Brown in January, Weir insists the former Rangers star was their top man and has been delighted how things have worked out over the past six months.

He said: “When we were doing the interviews there were a lot of people interested in becoming manager.

“One of the things that we did focus on were their connections in the lower leagues in England.

“Jim Gannon did that and Craig Brown had a lot of contacts as well.

“We spoke to a lot of people and were delighted with the applications we got and contrary to what was said in some quarters Stuart was our first choice.

“With the way the weather was at the time the application process proved more complicated logistically but he was our preferred candidate.

“The way last season finished, getting in the top six and reaching the cup final, we are delighted how things turned out.”

He continued: “There is a lot of evidence that players tend to go to a club where they are very comfortable and familiar with the management team and the set-up.

“Nicky (Law) and Stuart are well known to each other and he will know how Stuart likes to play his football and I am also sure he will realise that Motherwell were a successful club last season.

“In terms of signings players that we can develop and bring on, the lower leagues are where we focus and that is where Stuart comes into his own.”

With Steve Jennings also signed up for another year, Weir feels there will be room for one more new signing before they start to go down the route of securing loan deals, a tactic which has worked successfully at the club over the past couple of years.

However the former Head of Barclays Corporate in Scotland and Ireland believes offers could come in for one of Motherwell’s ‘marquee’ players, including Jamie Murphy who has this week been linked with Premiership cracks Bolton and QPR.

He said: “There is the possibility that someone will come in with an offer to buy one of our players and that potentially frees up money.

“But there have been no offers made although it’s still early, especially for the teams down in England.

“There were plenty of scouts who came here last season and we know there are plenty of players who attract interest.

“However we have got a lot of good players under longer contracts which is important.

“I know Stuart would like one more player and is speaking to players of a similar calibre to Nicky Law.

“In terms of our full-time squad that would probably be it until we look at loans.”

Bit worried about that last bit with the prospect of an offer coming in for Murphy. I suppose if the offer is a good one we can't really afford to turn it down but in my opinion Murphy and Randolph are the players we can least afford to lose in footballing terms.

I'd say our chances of bring in a player of Murphy's quality in the transfer market are slim to none, we either bring those players through the youth system or we don't have them at all and we are already struggling for creativity, attacking mentality and flair, without Murphy we look a bit barren on that score. I've not seen Law yet of course but excluding him I'm struggling to see any player in our squad beat a defender by technique.

IMO with Craigan signed up for another year Gunning on loan would cover us in defence (we still have Page mind). A loan striker and a proper permenant left winger is what we should be looking at (IMO).

Randolph/Hollis

Hateley/Saunders - Hutchinson/Saunders - Craigan/Page - Hammell/Page

Humphrey/Hateley - Jennings/Forbes - Lasley/Carswell - Law/Pollock

Higdon/McHugh/Smith - Murphy/Lawless/McHugh

Based on the game the other night and what we have available and combining it with Derek Weir's statement, I've outlined roughly our starting line up at present and cover/alternative. I no doubt have a few of the U-19's out of position and could double up in another position but only Youngie, Postie Jim or someone else who visits the Creamery often could add a bit more.

I've went for a 4-4-2, so not every position is looking for a direct replacement similar to the starter (ie Humphrey/Hateley)

If we do bring in a defender (seems that everyone supports this), a 3rd recognised striker (again general thumbs up) where could we do with backup or even a definite starter?

Looking at the above and if we get the defender and striker the only place looking a bit weak is in a dedicated ball winning midfielder if Jennings or Lasley aren't up for selection.

I think given we have Hateley, Jennings, Lasley, Forbes, Law and Carswell, another centre midfielder is unlikely. And McCall has been willing to even play Hammell in midfield so I reckon a centre midfielder is way down the list of priorities..

The Hutchison deal was a great bit of work, but my worry is that we've signed Jennings and Craigan up to one year deals, i'd imagine especially in Jennings case, on much better terms and this in turn has had a huge impact on our budget for this season.

I'm pretty sure Jennings would have been offered more to try and tempt him to stay but, seeing as Sutton was only offered the same again, would have thought Craigan would have been offered the same money, or even less considering his age.

McCall's already been quoted as saying the improved deals to retain youngsters affects the budget in the same way as bringing in a new first team player.

Looking at the above and if we get the defender and striker the only place looking a bit weak is in a dedicated ball winning midfielder if Jennings or Lasley aren't up for selection.

hateley and carswell would be next in line for that i think.

See what you are saying Melvin, but OK we have a number of midfielders, but how many can actually do that specific and vital job?

As for Hateley and Carswell, are they up to the job of getting in amongst it in a SPL tussle in mid October? Maybe a bit unfair on Carswell as I've seen so little of him so far, however I see Hateley playing in midfield as more of a holding defensive player in front of the centre half's (or is it halves? - answers on a postcard) adding an extra body and the ability to put a decent ball to the front men on the counter. I don't see him having the guile and inclination to get in amongst Scott Brown and Whitaker.

That's why I was advocating a ball winner as a target, granted he'd be third in the list of priorities if we are looking at another 3 coming in.

I'd say our chances of bring in a player of Murphy's quality in the transfer market are slim to none, we either bring those players through the youth system or we don't have them at all and we are already struggling for creativity, attacking mentality and flair, without Murphy we look a bit barren on that score. I've not seen Law yet of course but excluding him I'm struggling to see any player in our squad beat a defender by technique.

Motherwell need to sell on their youth players to keep the head above water. We have gone a few years now and not sold a player for decent money and it has hit the balance sheet. Selling on youth players is the best way for Motherwell to keep in the black.

Murphy will either go this season or the next, but if he does we just have to roll up the sleves and get on with it, but at least we will have benefited financially from the player. Unlike Reynolds who moved on for buttons when we had chances to make some money from him earlier.

I just want another decent striker to be honest. One as back up but who can really cause selection problems. I would like to see a bit of pressure on Murph and `Higgy... would of been quite happy to see Jeffers fill a squad number really.

Randolph/Hollis

Hateley/Saunders - Hutchinson/Saunders - Craigan/Page - Hammell/Page

Humphrey/Hateley - Jennings/Forbes - Lasley/Carswell - Law/Pollock

Higdon/McHugh/Smith - Murphy/Lawless/McHugh

Based on the game the other night and what we have available and combining it with Derek Weir's statement, I've outlined roughly our starting line up at present and cover/alternative. I no doubt have a few of the U-19's out of position and could double up in another position but only Youngie, Postie Jim or someone else who visits the Creamery often could add a bit more.

I've went for a 4-4-2, so not every position is looking for a direct replacement similar to the starter (ie Humphrey/Hateley)

If we do bring in a defender (seems that everyone supports this), a 3rd recognised striker (again general thumbs up) where could we do with backup or even a definite starter?

I think Motherwell will do very well to finish in the top 6 with that squad. I really hope we can get a couple of experienced players on board by hook or by crook. I'm not holding my breath though.