John Boyle Steps Down

Browni

I can only echo a lot of the words said already on here, thanks for everything John.

He really tried to take the club forward, not always in the right manner (crazy wages) but his heart was in the right place.

Some of the previous threads on this forum have already mentioned how important the next two years or so may be for Motherwell and Scottish football and John's departure underlines that.

I am pleased with the team that Motherwell have in place just now. With some common sense, creativity, community support and a bit of luck I hope the club can move forwards.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to John Boyle for his stewardship of the cub. Its been a real mix of highs and lows and who'll ever forget the dark days of administration? He's made mistakes but put a lot into the club and has had our best interests at heart.

What does the future hold for us? A community owned club sounds good but what does it mean in reality? Will it bring more investment in? Many questions but few answers. I believe that a big announcement will be made in the coming weeks - that'll be interesting.

There are worse teams than us needing to worry about parachute payments.

Accies down this year pretty much a certainty but next year what 3 teams will be worse than us? IMO i don't think we will have any money to strengthen in the summer (where are we gonna get money from?) Jennings a certainty to leave possibly Sutton away none of the loan players staying beyond this season. Pretty hard to attract players to the club when your offering them buttons, playing in a shitey league and no prospects other than trying to stay in mid table. Next year's gonna be a doozy.

Accies down this year pretty much a certainty but next year what 3 teams will be worse than us? IMO i don't think we will have any money to strengthen in the summer (where are we gonna get money from?) Jennings a certainty to leave possibly Sutton away none of the loan players staying beyond this season. Pretty hard to attract players to the club when your offering them buttons, playing in a shitey league and no prospects other than trying to stay in mid table. Next year's gonna be a doozy.

This is what I love about some folk, speculation, are there any other teams in the bottom 8 of the league in a different position than us? Every club has players leaving, every club is skint, we'll find our level under McCall but I doubt it will be bottom 3, and if it is then so be it, there's not a lot you or I can do about it.

Thanks Mr Boyle for running my club,

For a man who is a genuine fan of the club, put so much money in that he did and to give up his shares and not look to be bought out? fantastic!

I think now would be a perfect time to buy a club if someone wanted to invest in a football club

Thanks John, put his money where his mouth is and actually took a chance and tried to get bums back on seats and took a massive hit in his pocket to boot. Mistakes were made but who amongst us would have been willing to take a similar risk with our own cash and then write off such a massive debt.

Like others, more worried than happy with this news.

A chairman who is a true fan.

Respect John and all the best.

Absolutely detested Boyle during his early years in charge but he ploughed an immense amount of money into the club and my faith was restored in him when he took the Cooper away from the Old Firm.

This summer it was clear to me that his interest had jaded as he was unwilling to invest in a striker that would have took us by Odense and into a lucrative and prestigious phase of our history.

The concern for me now is Derek Weir. Motherwell fan, articulate, experienced and incredibly well spoken but his grand plan seems a rather far fetched and lacks any genuine substance. For a club that was scraping the bottom of the barrel in the summer for a shirt sponsor, I fail to see where any significant local investment is going to come from.

I think Boyle has cut his loses before he made anymore and called it quits, got out while still could and made it look good... i think this is the begining of the end tbh.... lets face it he probally didnt ask for anything for his shares in the club as there was nothing to give.

Call me daft, call me whatever but reading between the lines it kinda makes sense, hes poured money into the club and not really recieved much back, he has done well and done a lot for the club but what more can he do, he has his own personal as well as business interests to think about as well as that of his family.

This is a bit gutting, whatever your opinion of him is he stuck by us through everything.

There isn't another person I can think of that would back us as much as he has.

He's always has the clubs best interest at heart and I always felt he would do the right thing in any of the situations we've been in.

What happens now is the worry...

Someone once said that if you want to lose a lot of money then buy a football team

John Boyle has certainly done that but I think he has gained a lot too

I'm sad to see him go and I'm worried about what happens next but it's just another twist on the best roller-coaster in the world

on a sub note I could help think that the news also affected the players last night which might explain some poor performances

What does the future hold for us? A community owned club sounds good but what does it mean in reality? Will it bring more investment in? Many questions but few answers. I believe that a big announcement will be made in the coming weeks - that'll be interesting.

The concern for me now is Derek Weir. Motherwell fan, articulate, experienced and incredibly well spoken but his grand plan seems a rather far fetched and lacks any genuine substance. For a club that was scraping the bottom of the barrel in the summer for a shirt sponsor, I fail to see where any significant local investment is going to come from.

It was put across at the AGM that they believed Boyle's presence as majority shareholder/chairman had reached a point where it was detrimental to future investment. A kind of feeling whereby people who may have been interested looked at Motherwell, thought that's Boyle's gig, he'll have it coverered there's no place for me.

I presume they have to have got that notion from somewhere?

The road going forward was less clear.

They appear to want to follow the routes of the Scandanavian clubs with no one single dominant board member but a more even spread of ownership and investment through a variety of means - shareholding, subscription, membership

They went on to say to attract this investment they hoped to offer some form of return, though they couldn't really say what this might be other than ruling out a monetary return on shares. One suggestion was that a business could provide services for the club and the club repay in kind by say advertising, use of suites. I envisage similar to an example that Yabbas Turd mentioned on the boards a while back here about work in the Main Stand.

They did say that once the dust had settled on Boyle's news that they would re-group as a board and the course they aim to plot will become clearer.

have to give john boyle a massive amount of credit for what he has done for the club so a big massive thank you to him for staying with the club during the dark days even when he could have walked so thanks john and good luck in the future.

We now move on to new ownership and i wait to see whet happens but its a new chapter in the club's future

This is what I love about some folk, speculation, are there any other teams in the bottom 8 of the league in a different position than us? Every club has players leaving, every club is skint, we'll find our level under McCall but I doubt it will be bottom 3, and if it is then so be it, there's not a lot you or I can do about it.

Aberdeen and Hibernian attract two to three times the crowds we do and have the ability to offer better wages and pay higher transfer fees. Decent management will see those two shoot past us up the league, and, to a lesser extent the same could be said of Dundee United.

As for us finding a level under McCall that will be higher than bottom three next season. Can you please explain exacrly what it is about McCall that inspires this kind of faith, as, from what I've seen and what I know of the man's managerial record there is absolutely nothing there to suggest he has anything like the skills needed to move our club forward.