Motherwell Vs Celtic Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality game yesterday. If Humphrey could shoot it would have been about 4-0. We thrashed them.

Tell you what Shuan Hutichinson is a hell of a player. The boy will be playing for one of the big guns in the EPL in a few years. Talent well beyond his age.

Special mention to Ross 'Chopper' Forbes. He can cut them down and then cut open their defence with that left peg. Brilliant.

Big Sutton was also immense and can fair hit a nalty.

Superb!

Quality game yesterday. If Humphrey could shoot it would have been about 4-0. We thrashed them.

Tell you what Shuan Hutichinson is a hell of a player. The boy will be playing for one of the big guns in the EPL in a few years. Talent well beyond his age.

Special mention to Ross 'Chopper' Forbes. He can cut them down and then cut open their defence with that left peg. Brilliant.

Big Sutton was also immense and can fair hit a nalty.

Superb!

there was an FA scout there yesterday to watch hutchy according to the papers, he must have been impressed. i haven't seen it commented on but it was the big man's desire to win the ball back after he hit the bar that got us the 2nd goal. he did a similar thing in the league cup semi as well, he's like an nfl linebacked when he's chasing someone down.

watching the game back forbes had a superb game but every tackle was a foul! he won't get away with that too often.

the pen was top class, i called sutty out on not taking pens on a thread a few weeks ago. good to see the big man responded :notworthy:

apparently we are a bunch of fouling wankers, our pitch is a coo field, Ross Forbes is a scum bag, we are shite, Celtic didnt turn up, the ref was a well fan, Celtic are the best team in the world, we didnt really beat Celtic yesterday, they allowed us to win and other assorted bollocks.

I think they've had enough

lol.

Days like yesterday make football so worthwhile. I've been banging on for a wee while that I think McCall could direct us to an era that was reminiscent of our time under Butcher and dare I say McLean. Aye we may lose our fair share of games that we are expected to win but when it comes to the crunch, up against the Old Firm, we will give it absolutely everything and not be fazed by the reputation of the opposition. Indeed, the biggest satisfaction for me was that yesterday's performance didn't come as a surprise.

To a man every single player gave it there all. Delighted for the 2 kids at centre half, when did we last have a defender that won every ball in the air that came near the box. Lasley led by example and set the tone for the match, Forbes showed his class and Sutton & Hateley were bang on the money.

I hope those who were suggesting that Jennings and Lasley should be rested for the 'bigger' games that lie ahead in March had a good look at themselves this morning. Wins over the likes of Inverness and Killie are ten a penny while the memories generated yesterday will be taken to the grave. More importantly, we now have a new sense of belief that we can take on anybody, something that has gradually disappeared in the last 5 years, despite our relative success.

Well done Motherwell.

I like this....though I don't think at any time we were under the cosh.

Analysis

Motherwell find a way to halt Celtic's run

By CRAIG CAIRNS

When asked post-match about how Motherwell were able to stop Celtic, Sky Sports pundit Neil McCann hit the nail on the head when pointing out that Motherwell had successfully nullified the threat from Celtic's full-backs, especially the in-form Emilio Izaguirre.

Even with ten men against Rangers, Celtic were able to push the Honduran and Mark Wilson forward, effectively making them wingers, and feel confident that Daniel Majstorovic and Charlie Mulgrew would deal with a 2 v 1 situation at the back.

Against Motherwell it was a different story.

Chris Humphrey and Jamie Murphy both possess a lot of pace and both played wide and high up the pitch, meaning that, given their threat on the counter attack, they caused Wilson and Izaguirre to think twice before their forays into the Motherwell half. Despite this, there were certain times in the match - towards the end of each half, for instance - where the Motherwell wingers focused on getting behind the ball with the rest of their teammates.

Motherwell started the match in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation with John Sutton leading the line. Stephen Craigen was injured so on-loan Blackburn defender Gavin Gunning was moved into the centre of defence with Steven Hammell returning at left-back. Francis Jeffers was left on the substitutes' bench with Ross Forbes coming in to form a central midfield three with Keith Lasley and Steve Jennings.

With Beram Kayal suspended, Celtic lined up as expected. Lennon opted for his favoured 4-4-2 formation although he altered the shape slightly. Against Rangers and Dundee United recently, Kris Commons played as an out-and-out winger, whereas Scott Brown took up a more tucked in and less advanced role. This time Commons started slightly more infield and Brown more advanced than usual.

Celtic surrendered a soft goal within two minutes but their frailties had been exposed prior to this when a Mulgrew error let Humphrey in. Mulgrew was at fault again for the goal, this time waiting for Fraser Forster to come and collect the ball, allowing Sutton to sneak in between them and touch the ball past the Celtic goalkeeper before rolling the ball into an open goal.

Celtic's response was to remain patient and to try to force openings but, by their own standards, they rarely threatened the Motherwell goal. Motherwell's midfield three of Lasley, Jennings and Forbes were excellent throughout and got behind the ball at every opportunity. They offered terrific protection to the defence and never gave the Celtic midfield a moment's peace, pressing high before returning into position. Moreover, when the home side did hit on the counter attack, they moved the ball quickly and precisely and always seemed the more likely of the sides to score.

When it became clear that the initial game plan wasn't working Lennon changed his side's shape to a 4-3-1-2, moving Commons into the hole just behind the strikers and Brown into central midfield with Sung-Yeung Ki and Joe Ledley. Admirably, Lennon is not afraid to make changes early in matches rather than stubbornly sticking to his pre-match tactics -see the recent Old Firm Scottish Cup clash for another example of this - but on this occasion Plan B was just as ineffective. With 4-3-1-2 possessing such a narrow midfield, to be successful it requires the full-backs to provide width and, as noted, Motherwell successfully prevented this.

The second half took a similar pattern to that of the first. Motherwell doubled their lead from the penalty spot through John Sutton then sat back and attempted to catch Celtic on the break. And yet again, when Motherwell did get forward they put together some excellent passing moves and looked the more dangerous of the two sides.

Lennon had switched back to his original formation at half time but brought on Georgios Samaras and Efrain Juarez for Anthony Stokes and Mark Wilson within minutes of conceding the second goal. The change at full-back was enforced due to injury although the change in attack was a tactical decision. Celtic had started the match with two out-and-out strikers, both of whom were reluctant to drop deep and link with the midfield. Samaras provided this option but Celtic but with the Motherwell midfield now sitting deep, he struggled to find the space to have an effect on the game.

As well as the midfield offering plenty of protection, Motherwell's young centre-back pairing of Shaun Hutchinson and Gavin Gunning marked the Celtic strikers out of the game and won the physical battle when they faced up to long direct passes. The pair only started together due to the absence of captain Stephen Craigen and have given their manager Stuart McCall a big decision to make when he names his side for Saturday's trip to Inverness.

Celtic came close from a Mulgrew header and through a curling shot from Commons, which was saved superbly saved by Randolph in the Motherwell goal, but by this stage in the match Motherwell had almost everyone behind the ball and were restricting Celtic to very few chances.

In conclusion, Stuart McCall stopped the Celtic full-backs from having an impact on the match by fielding two pacey wingers high up the pitch against them. Humphrey and Murphy not only kept Wilson and Izaguirre pinned back but they also defended from the front, pressing at every opportunity. This is a luxury not afforded by many sides in the SPL, including Celtic's next opponents Rangers in the Scottish Cup replay on Wednesday. Nevertheless, this was not the only reason for a Motherwell victory here. They harassed the Celtic midfield from start to finish and rarely afforded them time and space in dangerous areas.

here is a facebook conversation i had with a Celtic fan. Note his squirming when i put pressure on him and his general contradicting nature which all old firm fans must exhibit..... :blink:

GIRFUY ya knob!!

''Coz mwell are h**s. Plain and simple

old firm patter is shit. plain and simple :O

Mwell patters alot better..

it sure is. We're h**s??? What do you base that on?? do you know what a h*n is? Is it just sour grapes? can you not handle gettin beat off a wee diddy team like us? are you oblivious to the celebrations amongst our support when we score against Rangers?? Aye, our patter's better coz we use the brain we were given....

Haha cheers for the lecture, dont really care about motherwell tho''

A WHOLE HOUR AND A HALF LATER

'' Do u know what a grass pitch is??

wow, took you well over an hour to think about that shite comeback? :)

naw got better things to do than to talk on facebook about motherwell football club.

apparently not......

A 2-0 defeat on a day celtic never showed up n the well fans go on like its the league title, 17 games undefeated had to end at some point. Motherwell couldn't manage that over a whole season. Wouldn't see all us going on like you are if celtic were to have beaten motherwell at the weekend

mate, i stopped talking well over an hour ago, you started it back up again, so your last 2 posts are the most hypocritical statements the world has ever seen.

right then.''

This is funny. Over 150 posts on a game which doesn't involve their team. And some of the comments are quite strange.....

Sheepy Board

I must be missing something all the sheep are saying we are their main rivals for the top 6 but surely ICT are below us & therefore they are their rivals. & pishing myself laughing at the clown who said we deserve a top 6 spot for the way we played against Hearts :lol: Going by that logic then we deserve to win the league for the way we played against Celtic

Some bawbag left this post after Keevins report on Rancid website.

" TheVoiceofJustice wrote:

Very strange how Motherwell seemed to play so much better than the side who lost 6-0 to Rangers recently

Taking in to account that Celtic easily beat Rangers 3-0 last week, it seems an amazing transformation in Motherwell's game that they were determined to win this game at all costs, infact anyone would have thought it was a cup final the way they fought and snarled their way to an unexpected victory !!

I wonder what (or who) could have got them so fired up on this occasion ? ? ?"

Paranoia......nah!

I ended up Sunday night being in the Woodcutter with Dougie Arnott talking to him about Van Der Gaag's goal against Dunfermline.

:lol:

It was a really weird night

Is the Woodcutter still open? I'm amazed considering they knocked down the Black Bull which was a better boozer in my opinion.

Is the Woodcutter still open? I'm amazed considering they knocked down the Black Bull which was a better boozer in my opinion.

Aye it's a hotbed for football icons like Dougie, and thats it

They have a limited license now during the OF games because a bunch of celtic got kicked out so came back in through the back door and started throwing the pool balls accross the bar,

the scum will never learn

Historically we always seem to perform better against Celtic than Rangers. The Soccerbase stat website would appear to back this up...

V CELTIC

Win: 54 Draw: 65 Lost: 172

V RANGERS

Win: 41 Draw: 49 Lost: 191

At least in my lifetime, Celtic have tended to play more of a passing game, which has suited our style. Rangers have been more a of a power based team (i.e. bunch of bruisers) which we always find more difficult to cope with.

15 of the 16 clean sheets came with Craigan in the team.

I can't wait for our first heavy defeat with Gunning and Hutchison at the back. This place will be madness.

the clean sheets not my only point its the fact tthe ball seemed to be played along the ground from defence instead of a big punt up the park