Bloody Stewards Again!

Taff

I had to leave early at the st mirren game (half time) and as they let me out there was a old man stood there quite upset.

I asked him if he was OK and he said "the bus was late and now they wont let me in" he said "iv been following motherwell for 40 years through thick and thin all over Europe"

He also had a season ticket and they still would have none of it after i pointed all this out to them.

Anyway me and the old boy walked around the other side to the main stand at the gates near the ticket office and called some official looking bloke over. He wasn't Happy and told the old chap to go back to the east stand and he will sort it out for him.

Do the stewards get any sort of training? do they make rules up as they go along?

If that's how they treat the faithful how are the club supposed to attract new people to fir park?

PS. totally unrelated but i once knew a lad who was a steward at fir park.

He hated motherwell fc and was a loyalest rangers fan in the extreme.

I used to live near him and he would boast about how he would make motherwell fans look like to fools they are and get payed for it.

he would say most of the stewards were rangers fans. :blink:

The club changed from using our own stewards to the outside company this year. The stewards who were previously employed were offered contracts with the new company(sorry cant remember their name).

Biggest problem with new stewards are that they travel from all over the central belt to cover the games. Fife, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc

This leads to them turning up and having no knowledge of the stadium, the names of the stands, the location of the toilets and the catering kiosks.It seems to be different stewards in different locations every week. The turnstile operatives try to help as much as possible to assist the fans as most of us have been employed for many years.

The commonsense approach of letting fans in who have arrived late seems to be lost on the stewards. The are told to do their job to the letter and few have any idea or care about how to treat the paying public. Many are night club bouncers at the weekends and seem to enjoy the thrill of getting involved in any incident within the ground.

The reason MFC changed to this company was to save money as the new law states that there must be a certain amount of qualified stewards who are licensed to eject people from the stadium. Putting our own stewards through this training was not thought to be best policy as many stewards come and go and the training costs would be lost.

There are many Well fans within the turnstile opertators as well as the usual amount of Old firm fans. Most of us are there trying to help make the experience of attending Fir park as pleasurable as possible and try to use the common sense approach when experiencing some trying times but it would help if the powers to be would ask the turnstile workers managers when implementing changes as most of these have flaws which can easily be seen by the workers but not by those inside the boardroom. This leads to the enevitable negative posts on these boards from disgruntled fans!!

Mon the Well!!

the folk working the gates at the east stand aren't that helpful either sometimes

My mate went to the game the other night, he doesn't like football but goes if i ask him and he had to pay in, so he went in the gate after me and handed over the cash and the guy told him this was the students bit and to go to the gate at the end, he waited in the queue again and then when we got served they told him it was the kids and OAP's turnstyle then to go to the one next door and he waited in the queue again and got moved once more.

I tend to find this when i was paying with money myself to get into the games they seemed to just move me around and noone ever seemed to know where i was to go.

By law, every steward is required to do a qualification (NVQ) in Spectator Safety.

Thats bollocks, I done stewarding at Easter Rd and Tynecastle, when I showed up, I got taken round the stadium, showed where all the emegency exits are, and what happens if a flare (:blink:) goes off or if someone takes ill or the obvious things that could go wrong.

After that I was done. Assigned to a post.

I had to leave early at the st mirren game (half time) and as they let me out there was a old man stood there quite upset.

I asked him if he was OK and he said "the bus was late and now they wont let me in" he said "iv been following motherwell for 40 years through thick and thin all over Europe"

He also had a season ticket and they still would have none of it after i pointed all this out to them.

Anyway me and the old boy walked around the other side to the main stand at the gates near the ticket office and called some official looking bloke over. He wasn't Happy and told the old chap to go back to the east stand and he will sort it out for him.

Do the stewards get any sort of training? do they make rules up as they go along?

If that's how they treat the faithful how are the club supposed to attract new people to fir park?

PS. totally unrelated but i once knew a lad who was a steward at fir park.

He hated motherwell fc and was a loyalest rangers fan in the extreme.

I used to live near him and he would boast about how he would make motherwell fans look like to fools they are and get payed for it.

he would say most of the stewards were rangers fans. :blink:

Whilst some of the moans on here are farcial, e.g. the tube that got thrown out for jumping the gate and onto the park, this one if correct is a disgrace. I really hope you and the old man in question take it further.

Thats bollocks, I done stewarding at Easter Rd and Tynecastle, when I showed up, I got taken round the stadium, showed where all the emegency exits are, and what happens if a flare (:blink:) goes off or if someone takes ill or the obvious things that could go wrong.

Haha! Legally it is required...

Some people take longer than others to put you through it :notworthy:

Thats bollocks, I done stewarding at Easter Rd and Tynecastle, when I showed up, I got taken round the stadium, showed where all the emegency exits are, and what happens if a flare ( :blink: ) goes off or if someone takes ill or the obvious things that could go wrong.

Sounds the same as my brother who did work time to time stewarding at grounds. No training needed :notworthy: - Heres what you need to know and heres a bright ass jacket!

On another note, why the hell was a steward manning the toilets in the POD at the St Midden game.

the folk working the gates at the east stand aren't that helpful either sometimes

My mate went to the game the other night, he doesn't like football but goes if i ask him and he had to pay in, so he went in the gate after me and handed over the cash and the guy told him this was the students bit and to go to the gate at the end, he waited in the queue again and then when we got served they told him it was the kids and OAP's turnstyle then to go to the one next door and he waited in the queue again and got moved once more.

I tend to find this when i was paying with money myself to get into the games they seemed to just move me around and noone ever seemed to know where i was to go.

The club are trying to tie down the gates to take one price. Unfortunately this has meant in the last few games that fans who aren't aware which gate is which (there is a notice above the turnstyle to let them know) have been queueing in the wrong queue.

The club are looking closely at trying out the Falkirk method of purchasing tickets from a booth before entering the gate. Whilch will maybe eliminate this problem but I doubt it'll proce popular with many pay-at-the-gate fans.

The club are trying to tie down the gates to take one price. Unfortunately this has meant in the last few games that fans who aren't aware which gate is which (there is a notice above the turnstyle to let them know) have been queueing in the wrong queue.

The club are looking closely at trying out the Falkirk method of purchasing tickets from a booth before entering the gate. Whilch will maybe eliminate this problem but I doubt it'll proce popular with many pay-at-the-gate fans.

We might have went to the wrong one at the beginning but he was told 3 different times to go to a gate which turned out to be incorrect, so the staff might not know either which gates to be at.

thats wierd, i have used my student card for the past 2 games and both times at diffent gates, got in no problem.

thats wierd, i have used my student card for the past 2 games and both times at diffent gates, got in no problem.

Well we went in the gate for students and as i said we went to the wrong one first, i got in fine but my mate who was paying wasn't allowed in and got moved then moved and then moved again etc

This is fucking outstanding!

You got any Werthers Originals in yer pocket?

Is that all you do?

So loyal that he'd rather stand and watch the crowd at Fir Park every week than go and watch his beloved Rangers...?

just like most of the Muppet's

On another note, why the hell was a steward manning the toilets in the POD at the St Midden game.

At a guess to monitor for trouble. Not a pleasant experience sitting right next to the away support on Wednesday, or mingling with them in queues. One or two complaints made to the stewards.