Makings Of A Very Good Team

Gaag

Has anyone else noticed that players have been either playing well or improving all over the park lately? I wonder, if this had come about a month or so earlier whether or not we'd be in with a decent shout of 3rd place. 5 games unbeaten, and a real test of our mettle against Hibs this weekend will go some way to proving to the league that we're not a one season wonder team.

In particular I'd say Smith, Craigan, Hammell, O'Brien, Klimpl, Fitzy, Porter & Clarkson have all been doing very well lately, with it seeming to coincide with our midfield actually beginning to perform again in the way we know it can.

As for the subs: McGarry I think won't get a look in whilst O'Brien is performing so well, Sutton seems to have lost favour with McGhee, not sure what that's about? Darren Smith, would like to see him getting on a bit more often, but not entirely convinced he could go a full 90 mins regularly? Jamie Murphy, would like to see more from him. Undoubtedly he's a big talent, but I've seen nothing from him so far this season to merit him breaking into the first team on a more regular basis. Think he needs to improve his passing accuracy, stop giving the ball away so much and improve his positional awareness a bit. I'm glad he's getting the chance to prove himself, and from what I've heard I'm sure he can do it, but I'd love for him to go out and give McGhee a real selection headache!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always maintained we have a very good core to our team. Darren Smith, I'm sorry, but he's gash. Far to light-weight and no where near as fast or skillful as he thinks he is. McGarry is another one who has been found out, simply not good enough. Another I have been dissapointed with is Hammell, he's certainly not the player who left us 2ish years ago.

Bar them, we have the makings of a very good team.

majority of whats been said, I agree with, but I feel that Darren Smith most definitely CAN do a job for us, and probably just needs a consistent run in the team !

The Klimp certainly looks to be a force in midfield, and hopefully by releasing Bob "the liability" Malcolm, we can free up some money to secure his services for the next few seasons.

Like Gaag said, it looks like something has happened to Sutton -would really like to know whats goin on there !! as he looked to be on fire when he signed, and has all but dissappeared off the radar !!!

Mon da well- you hit the nail on the head with Hammell, he most definitely is not the player that left us a few seasons ago !! when he went, I had said for some time that he was without a doubt the best left back in Scottish football at the time, I was ecstatic when we resigned him, but he doesn't seem to be half the player he was when he left !!

Over all though, I think we have for the first time in along while, the Nucleus of what could be an absolutely superb team !!

Fingers crossed for some luck in the transfers dept. both this window and during the summer !!!

!Got to disagree on the Darren Smith thing, for so long I have always backed him, especially last season when he was coming on and making an impact into games, like the goal up at Aberdeen and Caley. But, now I really can't see him getting anywhere near the team. I know we dont have depth in the squad and I'd rather have him there than not but, he has not confidence (maybe he could do something for us with a little confidence ie. Clarky). But, I cannot see him breaking into the team within the next season and a half. What I would like to see - would be for him to go out on loan to a 1st division team and build a bit of confidence and find his correct position, winger? Nah. Striker? Who really knows.

The Darren Smith of now would not add anything to this team.

I don't think John Sutton has fell out of favour at all with McGhee, I think McGhee was planning for the long term if/when we lose Ports, he tried to play them together although it never worked and honestly, how would you have? No disrespect to Sutton but, Porter everytime. I think McGhee has to get Sutton when he did or we would have possibly lost out to someone else and say Porter leaves now in Jan, who would we ahve for the Porter-esque role? No one. For me, I don’t think he’s out of favour at all just out of the 1st eleven because we have, for now, a better pairing in Porter & Clarky than Sutton & Porter/Clarky.

I don't think anymore can be added to the Bob Malcolm debate, there is NO need for him anymore. Even if we lose out on Klimpl come the end of the season (which I don't think will be the case) there’s still no need for Bob to be here! I'd rather have a half legged Keef Lasley than a full fat Boab! The sooner he’s gone the better and we can add someone who will be useful to the squad with what wages Malcolm is on.

Don't even mention McGarry...

But, all round, I reckon we have a pretty solid 11 when everyone’s fit, the best starting 11 we've had in a while anyway. Buzz, Quinn, Reynolds, Hammell, Hughes, Kilimpl and O'Brien can all improve but, right now, I’m delighted to see the players we have improve week after week. Aslong as we can keep the backbone of the side together, we will get better and better!

Encouraging stuff. Have to agree with the marked improvement from guys like Klimpl, Clarky, Ports and JOB.

Hammell hasn't really done enough for me although I've no doubt that he has the natural ability. Just feel as if he's sometimes reluctant to go beyond half way and trouble the opposition right back. Always seems to get so far and looks for a long diagonal into Ports. Just my opinion.

Agree with previous posts about McGarry and DL Smith. McGarry had, arguably his best ever season last year but he seems to have let his fitness drop back to previous levels and hasn't really made any position his own. Smith is just too slow and clumsy for a winger and he doesn't even have a trick to beat a man.

Just an opinion.

I dont necessarily think anything strange has gone on with Chris Sutton, although he bagged a few goals I definately think we suffered as a team by trying to shoe-horn him into it. I dont think it's a coincidence that him being left out has allowed us to get back within touching distance of the performances we know we're capable of. Sutton is a decent striker, but you're never gonna play him ahead of Ports, and then playing both of them means the whole balance of the rest of the team is affected. I genuinely think thats all it is. I wouldnt have any problem with playing him in Porters place however, should he be injured/move on, as I do think Sutton has a lot to offer...it just doesnt necessarily fit with what we do right now when they both play.

One thing I did notice though which backs up the point being made in this thread, is that at half time we had 6 subs warming up in the centre circle....

McGarry

Boab

Murphy

Darren Smith

Sutton

Lasley

Every one of those players could put forward a case for being part of the "starting 11" on another day...and indeed have been regularly. And yet not only was this without our team being weakened, it was actually using what in my optinion was our strongest starting side right now. I thought that was a really good sign of how we stand at the moment...if we are lucky enough to be able to make one or two signings during this window, not to mention big Stretch looking closer to a return, we will actually have a fairly strong looking squad for the business end of the season.

Have to say, Stevie Hammell has been superb the last few weeks. Putting dangerous balls into the box, and much more of an attacking threat. His defending hasn't been too bad either actually, I'd say he's just about back to his best!

Aye, so good he was booked after 45 seconds at Tanadice :lol:

I agree that Stevie has looked much better the past few weeks.. For the past few months he has been well below par I admit but I think he comes in for a bit much flack sometimes... He has contributed far more in the way of quality crosses recently (for Clarksons call on Sat and 2 v Caley?) and I too thought on Sat he was a lead canditate for MOTM before he got jumped!

And how on earth is the fact he was booked after 45mins make any sort of difference to how good a player he is?! If getting booked was a sign of being rubbish then legends such as Cantona, Keane or even Leitch or Big Softy must be pish! Seems to me its just another chance for an easy dig on Hammell...

I was talking more about the fact he was beaten by his man less than a minute into the game. In my opinion, Jim Paterson is twice the player Hammell is.

Bar him, McGarry and D Smith we have a good squad.

Beaten by a man in the 1st minute, 40th minute, 89th minute. What's the difference? He went on to have a right good game. Look back at our goal from this season and check the amount that have come from balls from Hammell. More this season from Hammell than Patersons full spell here probably!

I liked Jim Paterson but I would say that Stevie Hammell is a better left back , his positional sense can be poor but I think he is more mobile , his delivery is better and he also poses a threat from set plays.

Also do you think that Plymouth have got value for money in spending £350k for JP?

Also do you think that Plymouth have got value for money in spending £350k for JP?

See, that's a very difficult question. Plymouth make far more money than us throught TV and bigger gates so whereas £350k is 3 or 4 players for us, for them I'd think they'd consider that a very fair price.

Also, I think I've probably been a tad harsh on Hammell. I'm not saying I don't like him or think he's shite, he's just not as good as he once was and in my opinion, not as good as JP.

Also, I think I've probably been a tad harsh on Hammell. I'm not saying I don't like him or think he's shite, he's just not as good as he once was and in my opinion, not as good as JP.

Its strange how people's views on Hammell differ. I actually think he is a better player now than he was 1st time round. I feel that he is playing with an older head on his shoulders, and is picking out better passes etc when coming forward.

Defensively he still gets caught out of position too much for my liking, and I often lament that full backs/wing backs no longer seem interested in preventing crosses into the box. Not like in my day!