Makings Of A Very Good Team

Gaag

I think people are missing the main point when talking about Hammel - he is a completely different type of player to the one that left us two years ago! For a start he has lost at least a stone, and seems to have a much higher fitness level. The fact is you cannot compare the two comings of Hammel...

In his first spell round he was known for his strength and power in the tackle. While he wasn't that quick off the mark, he was like a battering ram once he got up to full speed. He could hit a ball with a real venom, but a varying level of accuracy! He was a solid full back.

On his return, he was quicker and more agile. He technique has come on leaps and bounds, and he has sacrificed his ball striking power in favour of accuracy - which IMHO is one of the best deliveries in the League, with maybe only Nakamura and Robson having a better left footed delivery. Having played a few times in midfield for Southend, and the difference in technical demands down south, I would now class Hammell a wing back.

Yes he may have less of a positional sense than he did his first time round, but he is much more effective further up the park. I have said this before and will say it again, I think Hammel would be perfect for Left Mid with Reynolds moving out to left back - maybe kick-start his season.

Not sure I agree with that. Certainly when he left he may have been verging towards that description but the player you desribing in terms of being quicker and more agile is the same player we had at 17/18 when he first broke into the team. Technically I don't think he is any better than the player I saw in his first couple of seasons. Exception being that I'd agree he honed his delivery, something I think he could make more use off if he were willing push forward more and occasionaly go outside his man instead of cutting inside.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with regards to McCormack - he was excellent for us last season and by far our best player. He brought out the best in Porter and Clarkson - as can be clearly seen from this season with them not hitting the same return, while Cradiff are reaping the benefits of Rosco. Yes they were very good, as was quinn - you would struggle to find a player to critise from last season IMHO. But for me Hughes and Reynolds were the to consistently top perfomers. Shuggies creative drive was the catalyst for last season, and Reynolds built on previous seasons by having a terrific year for us and drawing the attention of Rangers.

Is that you saying Porter won't beat his last season tally if he stays till the end of the season?

Rosco showed up for a about two months last season. Before and after he was by far no where near our best player.

Is that you saying Porter won't beat his last season tally if he stays till the end of the season?

Rosco showed up for a about two months last season. Before and after he was by far no where near our best player.

Personally I don't think he will, but I hope I'm proved wrong. A lot of fans say that about Rosco, but I completely disagree! The evidence of how important he was to the squad can be seen in the form this season. He was a player that could always provide a spark, pull something out of nothing and I can't think of a game last season where he didn't provide a bit of magic.

It's the same thing I say to the guys I go to the Scotland games with regarding Faddy. They all support various teams and have been critical of him in the past - but he - like Rosco - is a player with great falir, who can be posting missing for 89mins of a game and produce a moment of sheer genius the other minute. The france game being the perfect example - Faddy was relatively quiet all game, but still produced that moment of brilliance. Rosco is a similar type of player, and I feel every team needs that flair player. Last season we had it and we finished third, this season we don't and I don't think we will get third. But again, I hope I'm proved wrong on that.

I remember at the Aberdeen game at the start of the season, when we got beat 1-0, as a good example of what Rosco gave us. His greadiness, aggressive attacking and lack of fear would have won us that game. Whereas we struggled to break down the dons defence and lacked that cutting edge, Rosco would have given us that.

Therefore that's why I think he was our most important player last season - but maybe not our most consistent.

I totally agree with this thread but without criticism of any of the individuals. So far 2009 has been great for us and with a little luck we could not only be unbeaten but on maximum points. Perhaps the spark needed to actually make a very good team lies with us, the support, who can help the players, especially the younger ones, to feel confident and respected.

Stevie H. gave everything on Saturday and suffered for it.

JO'B has become a much better player since he was cheered off the park a couple of weeks ago.

Marky has got his head up again now that he's getting encouragement.

Fitzy has scored! Need I say more.

Others like Dazza and Murphy can only benefit from being part of a well supported team and I am looking forward to seeing them all improve.

I do wish we could forget about McCormack now though, good luck to him where he is but he is no longer going to make our team very good and our style has changed since his short time with us.

We do have a very decent bunch of players at the club and recent performances have shown the difference that having a full squad can make.

Reynolds looks much more solid with Craigan at his side and although he's still making mistakes, he's recovering well. He did this last season as well so it's certainly not a new thing. I've noticed as well that Craigan seems to be taking his time a lot more over passes since coming back. Sure he still plays the old "out the park special" but he's now more often than not looking for a short pass to lay it off to the side rather than just thumping it.

Fizzy's playing much better now with a bit of confidence and I think his goal the other week did him the world of good.

I'm liable to get completely slaughtered for this but I think Jim O'Brien is fast filling the type of role left by McCormack. While not quite the same calibre of player IMO, since OB has been getting a run in the team he's increasingly been pulling defenders out of position, running into space and even getting doubled up on by the opposition just like McCormack did which leaves a lot more space for Clarkson and Porter to operate in. This was crucial to our success last year and I think O'Brien can make a similar contribution if he keeps improving as he has done.

I totally agree with this thread but without criticism of any of the individuals. So far 2009 has been great for us and with a little luck we could not only be unbeaten but on maximum points. Perhaps the spark needed to actually make a very good team lies with us, the support, who can help the players, especially the younger ones, to feel confident and respected.

Totally agree with you mate - 2009 has been a real turn around and I hope it continues! Win, lose or draw the club will always have my support! Mon the 'Well!!

You don't think Porter will score 6 more league goals from now till the end of the season (barring Injury and being sold that is)! :O

Did he not get 18 last season? With 9 just now that would take another 9 to beat it and with 15games to go, the high chance he will sign a pre-contract if not sold and the posibillity of injury ever present, no I don't think he will.

If he never scored 18 last term and I've got my facts wrong, please ignore everything I've said! :wacko:

But it was 18, wasn't it?!

Yea, definitely was 18 he scored last season.

Other reason I remember because Im sure about Christmas time 'Flow put a fair wack of money on Porter to score 20+ goals (maybe a few hundred 'Flow?) and well, he never quite got there, did he? :wacko:

Yea, definitely was 18 he scored last season.

Other reason I remember because Im sure about Christmas time 'Flow put a fair wack of money on Porter to score 20+ goals (maybe a few hundred 'Flow?) and well, he never quite got there, did he? :O

My status as a Motherwell Fan is secured!! As for Wellfan.... :wacko:

It's the same thing I say to the guys I go to the Scotland games with regarding Faddy. They all support various teams and have been critical of him in the past - but he - like Rosco - is a player with great falir, who can be posting missing for 89mins of a game and produce a moment of sheer genius the other minute. The france game being the perfect example - Faddy was relatively quiet all game, but still produced that moment of brilliance. Rosco is a similar type of player, and I feel every team needs that flair player. Last season we had it and we finished third, this season we don't and I don't think we will get third. But again, I hope I'm proved wrong on that.

I've made this point on here before. We've been very lucky at Fir Park to have had two flair players like McFadden and McCormack, guys who can produce something out of nothing. As for every team needing one, I don't agree. Kilmarnock have done alright down the years without a similar type of player. Most SPL teams work with 11 players working hard, not relying on one individual. Bear in mind, the season we relied on McFadden to do carry our team, we finished bottom. That's not a slight on McFadden or that team, just a fact. Having one particularly gifted individual doesn't guarantee success...

I've made this point on here before. We've been very lucky at Fir Park to have had two flair players like McFadden and McCormack, guys who can produce something out of nothing. As for every team needing one, I don't agree. Kilmarnock have done alright down the years without a similar type of player. Most SPL teams work with 11 players working hard, not relying on one individual. Bear in mind, the season we relied on McFadden to do carry our team, we finished bottom. That's not a slight on McFadden or that team, just a fact. Having one particularly gifted individual doesn't guarantee success...

I think they do Melvin! And Kilmarnock have Taouil and Fernandez, both capable of producing that we bit of magic! Not to the same calibre of Faddy and Rosco, but still capable of it. One of the main reasons for these players is to appease the fans. They instantly have a great affinity to any flair player, and we have seen that over the years at Fir Park. Right now our great hope is Jamie Murphy, and without him having produced a excellent display, he still shows they we moments of magic that get all of us fans excited!

As to us finishing bottom the year Faddy carried him, I think that was just the depth of our squad at the time. While these flair players are capable of magic moments, football is not a one man team. I mean if Cristiano Ronaldo moved to Stranraer do you think they would win everything?! No, but they would still be weak at the back, etc. And Ronaldo is the best Flair player their is. Faddy was superb the season we finished bottom, but the team was very poor and we could have no complaints about finishing bottom.

I think they do Melvin! And Kilmarnock have Taouil and Fernandez, both capable of producing that we bit of magic! Not to the same calibre of Faddy and Rosco, but still capable of it. One of the main reasons for these players is to appease the fans. They instantly have a great affinity to any flair player, and we have seen that over the years at Fir Park. Right now our great hope is Jamie Murphy, and without him having produced a excellent display, he still shows they we moments of magic that get all of us fans excited!

As to us finishing bottom the year Faddy carried him, I think that was just the depth of our squad at the time. While these flair players are capable of magic moments, football is not a one man team. I mean if Cristiano Ronaldo moved to Stranraer do you think they would win everything?! No, but they would still be weak at the back, etc. And Ronaldo is the best Flair player their is. Faddy was superb the season we finished bottom, but the team was very poor and we could have no complaints about finishing bottom.

Well he's not, Messi is but I take your point! :(