Mark Reynolds

BigOwl

Probably the worst left sided defender seen at Hillsborough in the last 20 years. Started 5 games. Subbed in three (one after 19 minutes). Average player score 4/10 for his appearances. Not even made the squad for the last 2 league games. Told in no uncertain terms by Owls boss Gary Megson that his performances were 'poor'. 

My first question is, was he any good at Motherwell and would you have him back (please))?

Giles Coke doesnt get a guaranteed start above players who have Championship experience in the Owls side. If Tommy Miller would stay fit then Coke wouldnt get in the side.

My second question is, do you agree that on average the SPL is the equivalent level of League One in England (essentially our third division)?

Ive never thought that Celtic or Rangers would be able to compete in the English Premiership. Look at players like Chris Boyd who scored bagfuls in the SPL. Cant find the net in the Championship and in a team largely sourced from the SPL which is destined for the drop into League One (Middlesborough).

My final question is, Francis jeffers, really? Why? 3 goals in 3 years and only 9 starts due to injury and very poor form for SWFC!

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Reynolds was alright for Motherwell and I think the majority of fans would see him back here, largely as our squad is threadbare, so we can't be too choosey. He had a particularly good season a couple of years ago. Whether or not he has the mentality to step up a level remains to be seen. Judge him at the end of the season.

I don't catch a lot of League One football, but at a guess I would say that is a relatively fair comment. Some players can step up a level - such as Charlie Adam, who wasn't rated at Rangers. Others are being found out, such as Kris Boyd whose lack of discipline off the field is now showing him up on it.

Snodgrass, McCarthur and McCarthy are other examples of players ready to step up from the SPL t o Championship/Premiership level.

From Motherwell our shining example is James McFadden.

Jeffers - I've caught a couple of his games and he looks half decent, if only we had the midfielders to supply him with the passes he needs.

Good luck with the rest of your season too.

Probably the worst left sided defender seen at Hillsborough in the last 20 years. Started 5 games. Subbed in three (one after 19 minutes). Average player score 4/10 for his appearances. Not even made the squad for the last 2 league games. Told in no uncertain terms by Owls boss Gary Megson that his performances were 'poor'. 

My first question is, was he any good at Motherwell and would you have him back (please))?

Giles Coke doesnt get a guaranteed start above players who have Championship experience in the Owls side. If Tommy Miller would stay fit then Coke wouldnt get in the side.

My second question is, do you agree that on average the SPL is the equivalent level of League One in England (essentially our third division)?

Ive never thought that Celtic or Rangers would be able to compete in the English Premiership. Look at players like Chris Boyd who scored bagfuls in the SPL. Cant find the net in the Championship and in a team largely sourced from the SPL which is destined for the drop into League One (Middlesborough).

My final question is, Francis jeffers, really? Why? 3 goals in 3 years and only 9 starts due to injury and very poor form for SWFC!

:P

Doesn't really surprise me to be honest. I was never his biggest fan while he was here, though many on this site seem to think he was the dogs bollocks. He doesn't have the physical attributes to be a success in England, he's an intelligant footballer with pace. For me, a move to a European team should have been his next step (France, Italy etc and learn his trade a bit more over there.)

As for your league comparisons, a fair assessment. Rangers and Celtic IMO would be mid-table teams in the EPL (similar to the likes of Newcastle and Birmingham i'd say) No chance in hell they'd be anywhere near the top.

Others in the league such as Dundee Utd and Hearts could complete in the mid regions of the Championship.

Motherwell, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock I believe would be at the top end of League 1, whereas teams like Hamilton & St. Mirren would be in your 19th tier or thereabouts.

As for Franny Jeffers, why not? He's looked ok in the games i've seen him so far, it doesn't always work out at every club. If he gets an injury-free run in the SPL, I feel he'll score goals.

All the best to SWFC, I had you on my successful weekend coupon at a cracking price! ;)

Question 1 - Mark Reynolds wasn't playing anywhere near as good as he was 1-2 years ago. And no, I wouldn't take him back, Shaun Hutchinson is a much better player ;) P.s. I'd take coke back easily :P

Question 2 - Celtic and Rangers may be championship/league 1 standard. The rest of the SPL are probably league 2. The old firm's stranglehold on the SPL has killed off any chance of a competitive SPL.

Question 3 - He was pretty much all we could get in the time period. Doing ok so far though. Desperately need a regular striker though.

Is that you Ed?

I have a mate who is a Wednesday fan and he sounds quite like you ;)

Anyway I like Reynolds and he has been an important player for us (not without mistake I add) in the centre of defense over the years. The lad has just moved away from a place he has called home almost all his life. Sometimes players take time to settle in and I urge you to give him time.

I also say that for every Kris Boyd there is a Charlie Adam. I would say the SPL is a mixture of the Championship and League one with the odd League 2 side.

As for Franny Jeffers a club like Motherwell need to gamble on players and he has been decent since he joined us and has already scored.

By the way I will be down on on Easter Monday for the game against Swindon. Hope the 2 ex well boys are playing.

As said before, if Reynolds went to Bari like reported or went to another European league he would be a better player, he cant cope with the physical aspect of our league or England,

the old scum would be championship level and we would be league 2, bottom line.

I like Franny, done ok since he came here, but it works out at certain clubs and might not, he might do something up here but couldnt do anything down there

Ooooooooooh you'll get it in the neck on here now. Half the nuggets on here are convinced that Reynolds should be a regular pick for the Scotland national team and would easily hold his own against Fernando Torres, David Villa & Lionel Messi should he ever come up against them. ;)

Personally I find it hard to disagree with what you have said about Reynolds. He was a decent player for us, nothing more, nothing less. He was a pacy defender who's form was largely inconsistent but his weaknesses far outweighed his strengths IMO. His distribution and positional sense were absolutely dreadful and he was far too easily shoved about by forwards who had any sort of phsyical presence about them. He was never short of effort though and was a player that despite his shortcomings I quite liked as when he played well he was a decent asset to the team but I never for one minute bought into this ludicrous idea that he was an international class defender as some did.

In answer to your question about Celtic & Rangers and how they would fare if they ever got into the Premiership, I firmly believe that in time they would probably do very well. They are both massive clubs with enourmous supports and with the money they would get through the television deals down in England they would be able to shop at the top end of the market and so eventually become forces to be reckoned with. It wouldn't happen over night which many of their supporters would struggle to deal with but given time I reckon they'd be able to hold their own.

Reynolds hasn't had a shot playing Centre Half yet for Wednesday, until he gets that Im not sure you can make a good judgement on him.

Rangers and Celtic, agree they are not as good as the Prem with the players they have, however the thing is if they ever had access to it they would instantly get better due to the money flooding in. Rangers and Celtic, as much as we hate them for it are massive clubs world wide. If they were in the Prem or even championship, they would have a rich buyer instantly and race up into the upper tiers.

I'd say you're all forgetting the massive, massive imbalance that TV money has on English football.

Stick £30 million of TV money into either Rangers or Celtic and you'd have a side that was easily mid-table in the Premiership. I've no idea what the championship tv money is like, but would £5, 10 million be about right? With that sort of cash we could easily have kept O'Brien, Jutkiewicz, Ruddy, Clarkson, McCormack and Quinn who have all gone on to do a turn in the Championship with admittedly, varying levels of success. Stick those players back in our squad and I reckon we'd be comfortable in the championship.

If Rangers or Celtic moved to the EPL then they could potentially become the biggest clubs in the World. Thats a fact.

As for us and others around us we could probably compete in the Championship if we could build up the fan base.

As for Reynolds. He is a good player. Stick him in the CB role and he will do you a turn. Never played well as a left back for us.

My understanding is that Reynolds did start a recent game at centre back and got shunted out to left back to see if he could do any better there.

Mark Reynolds has a few decent attributes. He's quick and has a decent left foot. His disciplinary record was always decent for us so you could say he times tackles well.

But he's physically bullied too often by centre forwards. And turned quite easily, the number of times, I've seen a forward back in to him and spin away and he didn't read it...

I always said that Paul Quinn would have a better career in England than Mark Reynolds. And Quinn is now doing very well for Cardiff. The reason? Mentality. Quinn would kick his own granny if he thought it would get his team a result. Ruthless in the nicest possible sense...

Mark Reynolds always struck me as too nice on the field to be a footballer...

Wigan would be struggling to make top 6 in the SPL, even if they kept their current budget. Reduce it to SPL levels and McCarthy would have been as well sticking with Accies.

In fact weeyin i think thats a great point, i think they would make the top 6 but take out N'Zogbia and Rodallega and they dont really have anyone else,

Rangers and Celtic and Hearts would give them a good game if you took those 2 players out of it.

McCarthur

McCarthy

Sammon?

All SPL players who played for not the best teams

Caldwell brothers? enough said about them the better

Have to agree with many of the other posters, Reynolds was an average SPL player at best. However, if the big dumpling from Dundee Utd (Kenneth) can get a cap well Reynolds shop be in the Hall of Fame!!!

I would say that the OF are bottom half EPL/top half Championship standard and the rest probably Div1 and 2 standard. Unfortunately money talks and it is mute up here at the moment.

Always liked the Owls over the scummy Blades too, you will be looking forward to derbies next year.

Have to agree with many of the other posters, Reynolds was an average SPL player at best. However, if the big dumpling from Dundee Utd (Kenneth) can get a cap well Reynolds shop be in the Hall of Fame!!!

As someone else said about Quinn, Kenneth is the same. As much as he loves to look like a huddy against us, the guy is an absolute monster. He'd kick his granny's teeth in to win the ball, which is why he has a cap and Reynolds doesn't, despite the fact that Reynolds is a thousand times a better footballer.

Saw a clip of Reynolds banging one in against Celtic at Parkhead last season last week, quality moment that.

bit of a non-question if you ask me, any team from the spl would do well in the english leugues if they had the same money.

as far as reynolds goes, you can keep him, too many stupid mistakes for my liking, hutchy is doing a better job if you ask me.

never realy rated coke if im honest, strong midfielder but didnt feel he contrabuted that much to the team.

As someone else said about Quinn, Kenneth is the same. As much as he loves to look like a huddy against us, the guy is an absolute monster. He'd kick his granny's teeth in to win the ball, which is why he has a cap and Reynolds doesn't, despite the fact that Reynolds is a thousand times a better footballer.

Saw a clip of Reynolds banging one in against Celtic at Parkhead last season last week, quality moment that.

It was me that mentioned Quinn. I agree that Kenneth has the same mentality as Quinn. I would argue that Quinn, like Reynolds, is a far superior technical footballer...

Is that you Ed?

I have a mate who is a Wednesday fan and he sounds quite like you :rolleyes:

Anyway I like Reynolds and he has been an important player for us (not without mistake I add) in the centre of defense over the years. The lad has just moved away from a place he has called home almost all his life. Sometimes players take time to settle in and I urge you to give him time.

I also say that for every Kris Boyd there is a Charlie Adam. I would say the SPL is a mixture of the Championship and League one with the odd League 2 side.

As for Franny Jeffers a club like Motherwell need to gamble on players and he has been decent since he joined us and has already scored.

By the way I will be down on on Easter Monday for the game against Swindon. Hope the 2 ex well boys are playing.

No Not Ed but had an interest in following Motherwells results since Phil O'Donnell played for us. One of the best imports not to play much football for the Owls (Due to injury)!

It was me that mentioned Quinn. I agree that Kenneth has the same mentality as Quinn. I would argue that Quinn, like Reynolds, is a far superior technical footballer...

I wouldn't argue with you either. Although I did once see Kenneth hit the bar from just over the half way line. The boy can hit a ball...

Mark Reynolds was only ever a decent SPL standard centre half. I'm not one of those folk that tries to compare the SPL with leagues elsewhere in the world in terms of quality or difficulty, and I don't even know what division Sheffield Wednesday are in, so I can't comment whether he'll come good or not.

He had bags of potential but never lived up to it.

Give Reynolds time to adjust. He has effectively taken a step down in the hope that Wednesday can make it big once again. Not going to happen under Megson mind you.

Getting paid £7000 a week and playing in front of 20,000 every 2nd week is hardly a step down. Graeme Smith and Stephen Hughes couldn't compete in League 1 when they got their 'big' moves last season.

Rangers and Celtic would probably be in the top half of the championship, with Hearts,Hibs and Dundee United probably being able to handle themselves. The rest of the SPL is lower League 1 standard, top end of League 2 IMO.

Getting paid £7000 a week and playing in front of 20,000 every 2nd week is hardly a step down. Graeme Smith and Stephen Hughes couldn't compete in League 1 when they got their 'big' moves last season.

Rangers and Celtic would probably be in the top half of the championship, with Hearts,Hibs and Dundee United probably being able to handle themselves. The rest of the SPL is lower League 1 standard, top end of League 2 IMO.

What a load of pish. How can you say that Hibs who are cemented in the bottom half of the Spl would cope better than us or Killie in English fitba'?

I'm not going to take a guess at where we would be playing but I;m certain that our team is better than Hibs and not much poorer (if any) than United or Hearts (although they have done well this season).