Mark Reynolds

BigOwl

What a load of pish. How can you say that Hibs who are cemented in the bottom half of the Spl would cope better than us or Killie in English fitba'?

I'm not going to take a guess at where we would be playing but I;m certain that our team is better than Hibs and not much poorer (if any) than United or Hearts (although they have done well this season).

Hibs have got the potential to be the 3rd best team in Scotland. Granted they've been pish until February this season but if they could sort out their defence and goalkeeper they would have a good team. Much bigger fanbase than us and Killie, getting over 13000 at their game at the weekend there.

Hibs have got the potential to be the 3rd best team in Scotland. Granted they've been pish until February this season but if they could sort out their defence and goalkeeper they would have a good team. Much bigger fanbase than us and Killie, getting over 13000 at their game at the weekend there.

Your forgetting that Hearts Are the 3rd best team in Scotland

I wouldn't worry about Gary Megson not rating him, the most inept fud of a manager i have ever witnessed at Bolton, didn't rate Stelios yet he was a fan of Joey Fucking O'Brien. Saw a lot of League 1 games over the last few years and i dont think it will really suit Mark Reynolds, you think we play kick and rush football? You've seen nothing until you've witnessed a League 1 scrap.

Granted they've been pish until February this season but if they could sort out their defence and goalkeeper they would have a good team.

You cant say that, 4 defenders and a goalkeeper - thats almost half their team. The aim of football is to score goals and not to concede. Hibs cant do half of that objective so you cant say that they are a better team than us.

As someone else said about Quinn, Kenneth is the same. As much as he loves to look like a huddy against us, the guy is an absolute monster. He'd kick his granny's teeth in to win the ball, which is why he has a cap and Reynolds doesn't, despite the fact that Reynolds is a thousand times a better footballer.

Interesting you should say that. Do we think Hutchy ticks both boxes in that he can play and would run through a brick wall, kick his gran etc etc??

Interesting you should say that. Do we think Hutchy ticks both boxes in that he can play and would run through a brick wall, kick his gran etc etc??

For me and what I've seen, yeah. He can play a bit, isn't slow, he wins things in the air and takes few prisoners. Obviously its early in his career and he's still learning the game, but if he can iron out the wee mistakes he makes, he could be a top player. He's not in the same semi-brutal mould of Kenneth, but he's clearly not shy of a tussle.

Wouldn't have Reynolds back at all. Looked promising about 3 years ago but if anything went backward. Decent footballer for a defender but other than being fairly quick next to no other defensive attruibutes and not a good enough player to really make another position his own.

Coke was good but inconsistent, would certainly take him back though did ok left side of the midfield.

No luck having Megson as a manager though, being doing well not to drop down to league 2.

I have a good mate who's a Wednesday fan and season ticket holder, and the OP is actually just confirming what my mate Dan has already told me.

I liked Reynolds when he first started he had the confidence of youth and could play a bit. He seemed to hit a wall though and virtually from the time we knocked back £1m from Rangers he never progressed.

Getting paid £7000 a week and playing in front of 20,000 every 2nd week is hardly a step down. Graeme Smith and Stephen Hughes couldn't compete in League 1 when they got their 'big' moves last season.

Rangers and Celtic would probably be in the top half of the championship, with Hearts,Hibs and Dundee United probably being able to handle themselves. The rest of the SPL is lower League 1 standard, top end of League 2 IMO.

the 20000 is about the average when the teams doing poorly. A few decent results and watchable opposition can see the attendance hit 30000 as happened a few times last season. I think this seasons best so far is around the 25000 mark

Not in the least bit suprised Reynolds isn't doing well as the same with Quinn at Cardiff. Reynolds isn't strong enough to be a centre half and his distribution is frankly shocking. I wish him well cos he's one of us but i think English Championship is maybe too much for him. I said before he left he'll be back is Scotland sooner rather than later and probably with the likes of Accies. Quinn wont be far behind, watch this space. :rolleyes:

Wednesday have played him primarily at left back and that's not his position. Play him at either sweeper or just in front of the back four and he'll do fine.

Granted it's not his ideal position but I remember a few previous managers talking about his versatility. Gannon actually said he could do a job anywhere on the park. Obviously it takes players a wee while to settle in but I'm surprised he's been this poor.

he would have been better going abroad. a defender who doesn't commit many fouls is never going to do well in the english lower leagues. he's put in some good performances against the old firm and in europe so i think it's daft to say that he's not good enough. i doubt he would have been too enthused about heading to sheffield, he was apparently gutted about not getting the move to rangers then we knocked back swansea in the summer and they look like going up to the epl and he probably jumped as his options seemed to be decreasing all the time. it looks like he'll have a few years sitting in the stands picking up a large wage sure in the knowledge that when wednesday evetually hit the shitter again the pfa in england guarantee his wages.

Not in the least bit suprised Reynolds isn't doing well as the same with Quinn at Cardiff. Reynolds isn't strong enough to be a centre half and his distribution is frankly shocking. I wish him well cos he's one of us but i think English Championship is maybe too much for him. I said before he left he'll be back is Scotland sooner rather than later and probably with the likes of Accies. Quinn wont be far behind, watch this space. :evilgrin:

Quinn isn't I believe first choice at Cardiff but he played a reasonable whack of games(around about 40, sub appearances included according to soccerbase), mostly at fullback from ones I saw any of. His situation isn't really comparable with Reynolds, if anything as MB pointed out above his added edge to his game is at the least making him a useful player for a top end championship team to have compared to Reynoolds being a bombscare a division below.

I daresay when Quinn moves on from Cardiff he'll not necesarily have to slum it in the SPL, I can see him at the least Pearsonesque finding his level in the championship provided he stays fit.

Although I don't think he is a world beater by any stretch of the imagination, I am surprised he has been so poor. I never once lauded him as international class, but I did say he was deserving of a call up after the likes of Garry Kenneth were.

I think most Motherwell fans regret not accepting the bid from Rangers, granted I'm lead to believe it was £1million with add ons, being around 750k initially. I think that will be the last time for a while we reject a bid of that size.

In terms of application, commitment and desire you couldn't fault him at all, but he certainly didn't progress in the manner we wished he had after McGhee's first season. I said before hand that I had no reservations about him going in January as we have more than ample cover at centre back.

Hutchinson might not be as quick or experienced as Reynolds, but he certainly looks more of an all round centre half.

I think some posters are being slightly harsh on him though, whilst he maybe wasn't the player we all thought he would be, he definitely did us a turn. If he doesn't succeed at Wednesday, it definitely won't be through lack of trying.

A lot of very harsh opinions on Reynolds here. Of course he wasn't without his faults, but always gave his best and conducted himself in a dignified and professional manner when the big move to Rangers fell through. He probably would've wanted a move out of Motherwell a couple of seasons ago but never went moaning to the press. His lack of bookings and clean sheets records would hint at how useful a player he was/is. Hope he goes on to do well in England.

Re Sheffield Wednesday. Felt sorry for them when they lost both Cup Finals in 1993. A huge club with a huge following and would hope to see them back in the Championship at least very soon. Would be a bit of a disaster for Sheffield if Sheffield United slipped down into League 1 too.

If it was based on fan base though, the Old Firm would clearly be top half of the EPL not the fucking Championship!! The guy has asked about standard not how many fans come through the door :ph34r:

Wouldn't have Reynolds back at all. Looked promising about 3 years ago but if anything went backward. Decent footballer for a defender but other than being fairly quick next to no other defensive attruibutes and not a good enough player to really make another position his own.

Hammer, head, nail. Does not have the physical attributes to be an SPL centre-back so was never going to make it down south regardless of the league he went to. To be fair I believe his position when he came into the first team was actually left-back, a position that I think he could play very well in even at a higher level. At a stretch he might do a job in midfield - played there a couple times for Scotand U-19s and scored I think.

Ooooooooooh you'll get it in the neck on here now. Half the nuggets on here are convinced that Reynolds should be a regular pick for the Scotland national team and would easily hold his own against Fernando Torres, David Villa & Lionel Messi should he ever come up against them. :O

Personally I find it hard to disagree with what you have said about Reynolds. He was a decent player for us, nothing more, nothing less. He was a pacy defender who's form was largely inconsistent but his weaknesses far outweighed his strengths IMO. His distribution and positional sense were absolutely dreadful and he was far too easily shoved about by forwards who had any sort of phsyical presence about them. He was never short of effort though and was a player that despite his shortcomings I quite liked as when he played well he was a decent asset to the team but I never for one minute bought into this ludicrous idea that he was an international class defender as some did.

In answer to your question about Celtic & Rangers and how they would fare if they ever got into the Premiership, I firmly believe that in time they would probably do very well. They are both massive clubs with enourmous supports and with the money they would get through the television deals down in England they would be able to shop at the top end of the market and so eventually become forces to be reckoned with. It wouldn't happen over night which many of their supporters would struggle to deal with but given time I reckon they'd be able to hold their own.

dont know how you can put him in the same league as villa and messi , he is the most over-rated player i have seen

laugh.gif

Doesn't really surprise me to be honest. I was never his biggest fan while he was here, though many on this site seem to think he was the dogs bollocks.

Look back my posts over a number of years on here. Reynolds is fucking gash.

I heart these