How Did You Celebrate The Cup Win?

Tid

Personally cannae believe it's 20 years since we won the cup. I was 19 at the time & thought that it would be the start of continued success resulting in numerous returns to Hampden in the upcoming years so probably didnae appreciate it enough at the time.

I got back to Motherwell after the game bought a bottle of Old England Sherry (ah know, whit a fuckin jakey!) & arseholed it behind the Health centre ironically enough. Eventually got in to the Puddler (which like every pub in the toon was heavin')via the fire exit at the back for a couple of beers before being arse & knecked up the road by the missus about 8.30pm like a burst baw.

how's about bringing back some memories by re-telling your tales from that night (or weekend for the troops wi' mair staying power!)

• Like 1

Came back on the supporters bus from The Vaults from Mossend. It dropped us right at the ground, was one of the maddies on the park dancing and singing.

Got up the road for my tea, then shifted, changed.and out to Scuples in Mossend where the DJ, Jimmy Graham, who was a mad Well fan had us all going. The quiz was to name the starting 11 for Motherwell. Even then spome folks were so bladdered they got the answer wrong lol. Switched of the music and watched the highlights (JImmy got mer to hold the Microphone up to the tv speaker to make sure everyone could hear ok.

Then me and my pal George went to Motherwell to the night club (forgoten its name how sad is that lol) . When we were going in we met Colin O'Niell coming out and he was like a burst ba' being helped out by his missus and some bloke

Great night, had a hangover for about 3 days

Personally cannae believe it's 20 years since we won the cup. I was 19 at the time & thought that it would be the start of continued success resulting in numerous returns to Hampden in the upcoming years so probably didnae appreciate it enough at the time.

In the same boat really. I was 17 and I'd been supporting Motherwell regularly since about 87/88 so it was only a few seasons before we'd actually won an actual trophy!

Looking back now I didn't appreciate just what we had achieved. 20 years later and with no guarantee that we will win anything again in my lifetime now I have a better understanding of just what that team did.

I do feel lucky though that I did witness it and I hope that the younger generation get to see something similar. It seems to be a once in a generation thing. My mum saw the cup winners in the 1950's, I saw the 90's victory, fingers crossed the weans will see a triumph as well.

I was 7. I was as high as a kite

the same.

i remember going back to motherwell on a double decker and the full bus emptying for a piss stop at whirlies round about. being on the pitch at fir park cheering the players with the cup up in the press box then heading down to my gran's house for some dinner.

magic.

Came back on the supporters bus from The Vaults from Mossend. It dropped us right at the ground, was one of the maddies on the park dancing and singing.

Got up the road for my tea, then shifted, changed.and out to Scuples in Mossend where the DJ, Jimmy Graham, who was a mad Well fan had us all going. The quiz was to name the starting 11 for Motherwell. Even then spome folks were so bladdered they got the answer wrong lol. Switched of the music and watched the highlights (JImmy got mer to hold the Microphone up to the tv speaker to make sure everyone could hear ok.

Then me and my pal George went to Motherwell to the night club (forgoten its name how sad is that lol) . When we were going in we met Colin O'Niell coming out and he was like a burst ba' being helped out by his missus and some bloke

Great night, had a hangover for about 3 days

Probably Zanzi's after the wee man had been ejected from the Fir Park club due to a bad song choice

I remember being one of a few thousand standing on the Fir Park pitch, singing and cheering up at the squad, showing off the Cup from the Main Stand. Psycho O'Neill led a lot of the singing, even though he was the only player not to actually play that day.

Champagne and curry, then party all night. Woken by my mother mid morning, starkers - apart from my scarf wrapped round my willie. No hangover, still deliriously happy.

As I finish this post off, I'm suddenly filled with saddness. Davie and Phil not around anymore.

I remember being one of a few thousand standing on the Fir Park pitch, singing and cheering up at the squad, showing off the Cup from the Main Stand. Psycho O'Neill led a lot of the singing, even though he was the only player not to actually play that day.

Champagne and curry, then party all night. Woken by my mother mid morning, starkers - apart from my scarf wrapped round my willie. No hangover, still deliriously happy.

As I finish this post off, I'm suddenly filled with saddness. Davie and Phil not around anymore.

I'm pretty sure he came on for the last few minutes of extra time and only got two kicks. One at the ball and one at Dave Bowman.

My old man was too ill to go so I took the wife's pals wee laddie with his ticket, once I got him home I got shifted and headed down to see my old man and then went on to Angels in Uddingston to meet a few mates, vaguely remember Chris McCart and Jim Griffin coming into the pub later on. Had a chat with big Chris, who said the players were desperate to get away from the official do and get out there and join in with the fans. No idea how I got back to Cleland but woke up the following morning on the recliner still wearing my jacket and scarf but with my jeans round about my ankles and my shoes placed neatly side by side on top of the telly.

:laugh: . Some brilliant poats on here. Me n ma mates started in The Bay Horse pub picked up by supp bus then after can remember loads of champagne flowing in Zanzibar i think it was. Memories a bit faded now i have to say be great to see it happen again. :yahoo:

I was in one of those groups swelled by folk who didn't go regularly or at all to see Motherwell. Most of us were 15 or 16 , mates from school who supported the likes of Airdrie and Rangers and some family and friends who only went very occasionally.

Whilst it was a very very special day for my old man and me, and to a lesser extent my old dear and sister for the rest of them it was just a good day out for them.

We knew that win or lose it would be back to Fir Park so despite us all being from Chapelhall/Airdrie my Dad ran everyone over to Motherwell to get our bus and so it was straight back there from Hampden.

Great celebrations on the pitch and watching the players celebrating in the stand and after that, there was nothing left to do but go back home and watch the full 120 minutes again on video. And after that when the highlights programme came on......

I can still laugh when I think of the anticipation in my mates eyes when the old man declared he would buy us celebratory chips and beer and headed up the street to buy scran and a cargo - and came in with this Pale Ale stuff that I don't think I've ever seen since. That collective look of what the fuck is this? filled the room.

Remember a few of my mates stayed over after buying about 27 Sunday papers it was back over again on the Sunday to Motherwell for the open top bus parade.

I look forward to doing it all again (with real beer this time Dad) in May :nod:

I remember being one of a few thousand standing on the Fir Park pitch, singing and cheering up at the squad, showing off the Cup from the Main Stand.

Me too and filmed the event with my Amstraad video cam ....... the footage of which has been with Yaba's for over a decade I reckon :evilgrin:

Then down to the Electric for a while, up the Civic for the Win Lose or Draw Party then back down the Lecy till emptying time then over to the Rococo Club still in my 'Well top and denim shorts, (it seemed like even Hamilton was C&A that night), enjoyed a wee Lock-Inn till 5ish then took a few folks up to my flat in the Furlongs. Strange thou, I stopped drinking about 11(ish). Wanted to take everything in and not forget anything due to drink.

Still wide awake, must have been the adrenalin, I made bacon rolls for all mid morning and booted everyone out as I headed over to Motherwell for the Parade, and what a day that was ................ also all on film, and with Yaba's :rolleyes:

I did get very drunk that night though :blink: still in my 'Well top and denim shorts :blush:

Was living down south at the time,and came up the Friday and went to Sparks then Zanzibar on the Friday night.

Remember vaguely lots of guys from Leeds and Doncaster being up for the game

Day off the game Burns tavern for opening time......stayed there till about one,then headed up to get the train.

When we got to the station there was a massive Q,with BTP dogs going mental etc etc, so we just walked down the hill at the side of the station,got a train to Newton,then on to Mount Florida and had a few in "Boons Yard".

As usaul we just had to have one too many,and missed the K.O.:wallbash:

The first thing I saw was Hamish French putting the ball in the net :dash2: which thankfully got chopped off.

Have never been so nervous at a match, and my abiding memory of thegame at the equaliser 3-3 was Alan Main diving on his belly across the Hampden turf.

:wank:

Train & carryoot back to McDonalds for scran then down to Burns tavern and drank copious amounts of "Schlitz" lager .

:drinks:

Then at some point ended in the Chinese takeaway opposite the Woodcutter,where a

guy 6ft plus, stole my bar scarf (Xmas present 1973) from my brother in law 5ft 0" which ended up in me and him rolling about the floor,and Strathclydes finest saving the day as I was getting a bit of a kicking :doh:

My regret was not going to Fir Park that night and missing the parade the next day,by the time I got there it was all over.

:dash2:

Well theres always this year............:whistling:

The whole tribe went across in 2 cars, then after the game came back to Fir Park to welcome the team home, then went down the road to watch it all again!!!

The next time we do it bevvy will be involved!!

Back to fir park for a few free Chapmans Pies, the Chairman was filling the bags in the pie stall where the Davie Cooper stand is now. On the park to see the team wi the cup, a few beers in the fir park club, up tae wishy for a few mair in Tam Parks and then doon tae Rab McNally's for a party. The adrenalin was flowing and it seemed we could party all night - so we did. Sunday was a great day too, watching the open top bus celebrations through the toon, and into FPC for further singing etc.

Happy days, we all met in Tam parks, about 10.30am on the Saturday for a few beers the off to the game with the Wishaw branch of the supporters club, i think we ran 5 buses that day and could have filled 6 but there were no more for hire anywhere.

After the game we were heading back to Fir park but the fud of a bus driver went the wrong way so we missed the celebrations there, :doh: ended up in the cherry tree till chucking oot time then back to mates mum's house in Muirhouse ave for more drink, till god knows when.

Sobered up enough to make the parade the next day to see the team and the cup then back for more partying, the rest of the weekend details are a bit hazy but i know the hangover lasted for nearly a week.

On the bus after the game sitting in silence. I think everybody was physically and emotionally drained. It was very strange.

Then Spud fired a champagne cork down the bus and shouted some obscenaties, questioning our sexuality I believe. So we all went a bit mental, liberated some wine from a shop whilst stuck in a traffic jam, waved Dougie as the team bus overtook our arkansas chuggabug of a double decker. saw the team from the Fir Park pitch and then it all got a bit hazy.

Apart from speaking to an old guy on Windmillhill street who was talking about 1952. "this win is better, it's in colour!".