Reading Forums...

Wellfan1984

Found this little gem on the "One F"

Sent: 25 January 2009 18:46

To: david ogilvie

Subject: Motherwell Football Club

Dear Sir/Madam,

I attended the Motherwell v Falkirk game on Saturday and there are a few points which I would like to make.

1) The pitch at Fir Park is a disgrace which is not conducive to the game of football. Good passing football has to be sacrificed for constant high balls and the quality of football received for our £22 is negiligible. Surely the SPL should be making an effort to ensure that the spectacle of Scottish Football is maintained, and that the fans receive entertainment for their money. Instead, what we get is defenders lumping high balls to the strikers bypassing the midfield as any short passes tend to go astray due to bobbles or the ball being held up by the poor pitch. Motherwell and Falkirk are both good footballing sides that were seriously hampered by the poor state of the pitch, and this happens every time we go there. This is the only ground in the SPL that seems to have these problems. The SPL demand all seater stadia with 6,000 seats and undersoil heating, but to be honest, who cares if the pitch is like a cow park and we receive shoddy entertainment because of it. the SPL state in their membership criteria that the members should take every step to maintain their pitches. I have seen no evidence that Motherwell actually do this.

2) Once again, the away fans were housed in the top tier of the away stand, with a questionable excuse of forecasted heavy rain. Typically, we received clear blue skies. Our fans are housed so far back and high up, that we can effectively have no impact on the game. Surely we pay our £22 to give our support to the team, and to feel a part of the game. This is removed by Motherwell and the game has no atmosphere because of it. Also, I feel it gives an unfair advantage to Motherwell who have all of their fans close to the pitch (which I believe is the real reason why we are located in the top tier!). I think this should be looked into.

3) The tannoy system in the away stand is incomprehensible which surely breaches health and safety regulations, especially as we could not hear the police message. This is a danger to all away fans, potentially more of a danger than the terraces!

4) The away stand is absolutely filthy and does not look like it has been cleaned for years. Twice I almost slipped going up and down the stairs, and I believe it is only a matter of time before someone is hurt. With regard to the health and safety of the away fans, I am sure you are also concerned.

After reading the SPL's aims and objectives, and membership criteria, I feel that the SPL are not implementing actions with regards to Motherwell and are blatantly ignoring Motherwell's contravention of membership criteria.

I would be pleased to hear your response on this subject

Warm regards

Optimist

I love reading about Falkirk fans going on about being in the top tier when it is clear to see on THEIR official site that their board took the decision themselves.

Laughable, I'm so glad we kept them down in the first division with their shambolic brockville.

At least our ground has 4 sides, is outwith a petro-chemical plant's blast zone and doesn't replicate a wind tunnell on most winter days.

Falkirk fans complaining about forcing the long ball game due to our inadequate pitch?

Well perhaps we should email/write to them and complain at the lack of a 3rd and 4th stand, that results in the wind conditions being far to severe to be "condusive to good football". Several times I have been to The Falkirk Stadium absolutely freezing due to the wind which in turn has resulted in a shocking game of football as passes go astray due to these conditions.

The old expression "get your own house in order before criticising others" bla bla bla..

Should perhaps end his message with "hypocrite" rather than "optimist"..

Fuck sake lads. Can we remove our claret and amber tinted specs please? Every point the guy makes is bang on and good on him taking the time to email the club. Whether the club does anything about it is another matter.

Can't argue with many if any of his points

The only one I could is his argument saying it is only motherwell who have a shit playing surface.

Hibs is/was also terrible

and not so long ago John hughes was complaining that the Grangemouth pitch was terrible (they don't own the stadium and the council who do were allowing Rugby? to be played on it)

I'm sure there are others as well, But lets face it ours is Terrible (again) and his points about the accomadation are valid

They were advised that with the Weather forecast fans wouldn't get soaked etc

Don't think they will take that decision again if they listen to their fans who imho are right to complain albeit this boys complaining to the wrong people.

But again most of his points are valid shite tannoy, manky seats, slippy stairwells,, shite atmosphere, terrible playing surface.

Can you really argue against the points not who to blame

They were advised that with the Weather forecast fans wouldn't get soaked etc

Don't think they will take that decision again if they listen to their fans who imho are right to complain albeit this boys complaining to the wrong people.

But again most of his points are valid shite tannoy, manky seats, slippy stairwells,, shite atmosphere, terrible playing surface.

Can you really argue against the points not who to blame

Yeah I kinda agree but the thing is, he clearly hasnt written the letter to complain about specific points, it's been written to complain about Motherwell, and he's just using those points as a means to do it. Which grates a little as his first point should be a complaint to his own club.

Just a bitter Falkirk fan still pee'd off at us for them not getting promoted when we finished bottom!!

...that said, he does raise a few very valid points! The tanoy system is utter balls - u can't even hear it in the main stand. The stadium is old and badly needs a facelift that would make it look a little cleaner, and if we got the finger out and fixed our underground heating our park would be much better...

However, me finks that the club is holding off on this maintenance work as it's a costly and time consuming experience when there are plans afoot to move to the Craig.

And when that happens do you think this greetin' face Bairn punter will send a letter to the SFA explaining just how wonderfully our stadium, park, facilities, weather is?

I agree that the top tier of the South is a shite place to watch a game from but the decision to put the Falkirk fans there was (as Al B says) entirely down to the Falkirk board. I don't see how Motherwell can take any flak for that, given that they offered the Falkirk board the choice of where their fans should be located. Personally, I much prefer it when the visiting fans are in the lower tier, it "adds to the atmosphere", but that's by-the-by.

While I'm here, aye the tannoy is shite but as far as the H&S argument goes, I believe that plod use a seperate system to relay their information (as previously posted), so it's a fairly moot point unless the visiting fans are desperate to hear who's birthday it is this week. As for the state of the South, I don't imagine it's much worse than the rest of the ground. I've only ever watched two games from there and I didn't see any discernable difference from my usual haunt (The East).

The H & S point he makes is null and void as, I believe, and it certainly is the case in the East stand, the Police use a different system than the PA.

I don't think thats the case in the South Stand or indeed in any of the other stands as I can't see the club paying out for 2 seperate systems. The music down the bottom area of the South Stand where the turnstyles are located is to loud and when I asked why this is the same in every game, the reason I got was that the police turn the speakers up to full volume when making their announcements.

I also can't see Motherwell asking Falkirk which tier they would want. What would happen if Falkirk requested the bottom tier yet it was soaked on the day of the game and their fans were moved to the top tier. As far as I know the decision on which tier is made on the day of the game but the match commander and whoevers got Uncle Ken's job. Falkirk fans are seriously deluding themselves if they think they can have any impact on a game no matter what position they are in the South until they can fill either tier.

The points about the state of the pitch are valid as are the points on the cleanliness of the South Stand. For a stand which is still fairly new, its in shocking condition and is far dirtier than the Main Stand and its 40+ year older!

The points about the state of the pitch are valid as are the points on the cleanliness of the South Stand. For a stand which is still fairly new, its in shocking condition and is far dirtier than the Main Stand and its 40+ year older!

Are you suprised?! South is for Away support and O'Donnell is where all the big wigs sit and I guarantee it will not only be priority for the cleaning staff, but will be maintained to a higher level. Can't be pissing off the 'imporatnt' fans now can we?!

1) The pitch at Fir Park is a disgrace which is not conducive to the game of football. Good passing football has to be sacrificed for constant high balls

I'd agree with the points the guy is making but I'm beginning to get seriously pissed off listening to Falkirk fans (I live & work in Linlithgow) and the press spout off about the great passing football game that Falkirk play.

I see Steven Pressley is also on the BBC site today complaining that Hampden wasn't conducive to Falkirk's passing style of football. While they may have been playing football last season I haven't seen much evidence of it this season. Their performance on Saturday was brutal in more ways than one and that wasn't just down to the pitch, it was obviously something they had decided in advance. Hughes comments at the end of the game about scrapping for every point seemed to confirm that.