The Well Support

star sail

Self analysis  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the Well Support during Mark McGhees reign?

• Best in the League
    • Top Six
    • Bottom Six
    • Worst in the league
    • Same as any other SPL fan

Much has happened in MM's time. Phil's tragic loss, qualification for Europe, the Scotland saga, the Hearts saga, the Nancy games, the dip in form and the current resurrection.

How have way behaved as fans during that time? Do we give our young players enough encouragement (Reynolds, Fitzpatrick) and are we happy with the atmosphere at Fir Park? Do we give the manager enough backing?

Are we as guilty as Rangers fans of 'believing we deserve better'?

I think that the reaction to Phils death and the Nancy excursion alone warrent top six but I can't put hand on heart and say we are best in the league.

Would be really interested to know what the general feeling is.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly believe we have one of the worst fan bases in the league, one of the most negative, quick to criticise supports around who get on our own players backs far too easily.

I'm sure it has been mentioned before that players have refused to sign for us because of this.

We have a great advantage that our main two stands are close to the pitch to give the opposition a hard time, but more often than not, all that eminates from these stands is "Fuck off Fitzpatrick" "Your shite Reynolds" and going further back, there's Fagan, Burns etc etc

Edit: On our day, we CAN be great, when faced with a challenge, we often rise to it- I look to the Cup run, the Hearts cup tie, the Nancy game and the game I think that we were the best we ever had been, the Kilmarnock game after it was announced we were in Admin, but these times are few and far between and never last.

I'm sure it has been mentioned before that players have refused to sign for us because of this.

Pretty sure the East Stand is well-known within Scottish football as being terrible when it comes to getting on Motherwell players' backs, and that players in the past probably have refused to even consider joining the 'Well because of it.

Always remember an interview with Tommy Coyne in the Evening Times a couple of years ago in which he said he didn't want to join Motherwell originally, because he'd been told by numerous people just how bad the East Stand is.

Did Lasley not also make comments not too long ago about how Motherwell fans boo their own players?

And would I not be right in saying Duncan Shearer once refused to move to Motherwell because of our fans?

I'd agree with Neil, our support is terrible 95% of the time and, in my opinion, is by far the worst in the league.

Worst...and I honestly cant remember ever thinking any different. There's been the odd game, or even a run of games where it hasn't been like that, but it never fails to return to the norm. Most of the time I cant stand our own support.

And would I not be right in saying Duncan Shearer once refused to move to Motherwell because of our fans?

Yeah his official public response to an offer we made him was along the lines of "why would I leave Aberdeen where the fans love me and chant my name, to go to a club where the fans boo their own players?"

We are notorious amongst players, managers and officials for being a terrible support to play in front of, and over the years you'd be surprised how many times that has been the determining factor in players deciding not to come here

Worst...and I honestly cant remember ever thinking any different. There's been the odd game, or even a run of games where it hasn't been like that, but it never fails to return to the norm. Most of the time I cant stand our own support.

Yeah his official public response to an offer we made him was along the lines of "why would I leave Aberdeen where the fans love me and chant my name, to go to a club where the fans boo their own players?"

We are notorious amongst players, managers and officials for being a terrible support to play in front of, and over the years you'd be surprised how many times that has been the determining factor in players deciding not to come here

Bingo

I must say that I am quite surprised that some folk pay their money to support the team but shout and swear at their own players. I mean if someone is having a bad game shouting "You're fucking shite" and "What the fuck was that?" is not going to help them perform any better. I feel that a lot of fans get on the players backs too much instead of trying to encourage them and give them a bit of a lift.

How do we compare? How many of us have sat in the Jungle, Copeland Road, Shed or Beach End or wherever for any great period of time to be able to offer a sound comparison?

I expect they'll have the same obsessives, manic depressives, loyal, fickle, abusive, enthusiastic punters that we'll have spread across Fir Park.

I now find myself sitting in a quiet area of the o'donnell stand when i go. The negativity and stupidity became too much to handle. Constant condradictions and mind numbing commentry on the game which rarely makes sense!

I agree, you pay your money, your entitled to an opinion. But to think that the best way to inspire the team and give them a lift is to hurl brainless abuse really bugs ma tits!!!!

I voted bottom six but I meant to vote worst in the league. Going to Motherwell games and hearing the shite that is directed at our own players is embarrasing.

Coming on here after a game sums it all up. If we win the game thread will be about 3 pages max. If we lose it will be about 10 pages and counting with about double the people online. People making seperate threads just to get tore into players even if they have had just one bad game.

Motherwell fans = Worst in the league.

Sorry but have to disagree.

I don't think that we are any better or any worse than any other fans in Scotland and even the UK to be honest. I've been in lots of home stands all over the UK and fans by their nature have roughly the same quota fans who are either irrational or rational, unrealistic or realistic. They shout the same rubbish and abuse their own players as much, if not more, than we do. Doesn't make it ok but we need to get a bit of a perspective on this subject.

I'm not a boo boy and dislike those that do feel that it is acceptable to abuse and not get behind their team during games. But get real we are by no means worse than anyone else, and as ever the tubes get more attention than the true fans who are by far the majority of Well fans IMO.

As mentioned previously, Phil O'Donnell, Nancy, Hearts Games, Kilmarnock game when we went into Administration, all these and other events have made me proud to be a Motherwell fan and of my fellow Well fans and I'm sure events yet to come will make me feel the same.

I think that we're being a bit harsh on ourselves ... as has been pointed out in an earlier post ... how many of us have sat in among other fans and listened to them 'supporting' their teams. You need only listen to the various phone ins and hear the same opinions from fans of many other clubs. I think the scottish football fan in general is a fickle individual ... slow to praise and quick to criticise.I have had occasion to be present at both Celtic Park and Ibrox over the years and have heard the exact same comments and abuse directed at players by the so called fans.

Having supported Motherwell man and boy for almost 40yrs I have witnessed like many others the highs and lows and 'enjoyed' the rollercoater that is MFC .... I've had great times and horrendous times ..... it frustrates me when I hear constant negativity at matches and particularly on these message boards. What does it achieve ? Yes everyone is entitled to an opinion but a harsh reality check is needed. We cannot compete with the OF financially or their fan base ......and we need to accept that.

As far as this 'scientific' poll is concerned I think that we are the same as any other fans in the league and certainly not the worst !!!

As far as this 'scientific' poll is concerned I think that we are the same as any other fans in the league and certainly not the worst !!!

Nothing scientific about this poll. It's all subjective. This is a discussion board.

What I would like to know is can we collectivelly do anything about the negativity? I reckon that a support that is right behind their team is worth a couple of league positions. For one it takes away some of the pressure that is always being talked about and allows players like Mark Reynolds to flourish.

I don't know how anybody can say we are the worst in the league; in my work there are Hibs, Aberdeen, Falkirk, Hearts, both OF, and they all talk about how bad the atmosphere is at their grounds and how quickly they turn on their own players.

Hearts and Falkirk seem to be pretty bad at barracking their own players, but we as 'well fans won't really hear that happening, David Obua got it in our 1-0 win against the jambos a few weeks ago. Even the OF fans, top2 in the league every year, but listen to most of their fans and they will say they are shite and their managers haven't a clue.

I say that we aren't any worse than most other fans in the league, and when we are good, we can be awesome as some of the posters have already said, Nancy etc.

Hate to say it but there is huge swathes of negative comments come from the East Stand, am in the next block to the "Family Section " there is a woman there who is very loud and very vocal and more often than not it very negative.

Personally I try to be positive to the team and scathing towards the officials :(

So come on everyone , next home game try to stifle the negative comments try it for one game and see the difference.

You pays yer money the same as me and are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, but please try it, if you cant bring yourself to be positive save it for the car/bus/pub the players may not be world class but they are OURS.

Today's average fitba fan is fuckin murder, we're very quick to form favourites and villians

that about covers it for me, it used to be simple the favourites were playing for the 'Well and the villians were all the other *banned word*.

so for me bottom six but its clear other clubs have similar problems meaning if there were a scientific way of measuring it we probably have no clear split in the different team supports

Through my experience we tend to be a bunch of moaners! :woop:

Favourite example of proof is when the tickets for the UEFA away leg went on sale, many fans were up in arms at the fact the club sold 5euro and 10euro tickets at £5 and £10! I mean not happy with the cheapest tickets we have ever had for an away game in my lifetime - never mind one as high profile as this - and that people were paying hundreds to get there in the first place, I couldn't help but laugh at all the complaints. Aparantley the clubs received over 100 official complaints! The thing that makes it even more hillarious is that at the time the exchange rate was working out at like 90cence to a pound!

Not only are we moaning bar stewards, but tight one as well!! :(

Still as supporters of the club who pay good money to support the team it's our perogative to have a moan when we feel like it! I for one won't stop, and I'll continue to enjoy the humour of how pissed off we get with our grievances!

I've thought many a time over the 5 or 6 months that if McGhee or any of the players decide to renew their contracts at fir park it certainly isn't going to be because of the fans.

That said, I'm not convinced there are more genuine arseholes in the crowd than at any other club, it's just that most fans sit in silence unless we are pumping a team. That leaves plenty of silence for minority to fill with abuse. Of course the majority of fans seem to have gotten into the habit of grumbling at everything and booing the players off regardless of how hard fought the game may be.

Absolutely mental.

How anyone can claim we are worse than Rankers supporters is a fucking disgrace!

Let me list a few obvious reasons why they are worse than us:

1. Bigotry spouting filth

2. Ibrox is empty by abouth 70 mins

3. "we deserve better" WTF?

4. Manchester 2008 - Scotland's Shame

5. Refusal to accept catholic players till they realised they were pish without them

I could go on.

Just because we give stick to player who aren't pulling their weight doesn't make us the worst fans in the league. Anyone who went to Nancy, Dortmund, Katowice or the Faroes; turned up to Hampden for recent semis and finals; got behind the team aftrer Phil's passing or sat through some of the dross produced under Malpas, McLeish and Kampmann should take issue with being called the worst fans in the league!

All teams have an arsehole element in their fan base but lets get this right, considering the way we are treated by the club (i.e kicked out of our own seats for that shower of gypos, insulted by the manager, Maurice Malpish, etc.) we never fail to turn out and during the dark times of administration there were many who gave their own time and effort to help dig us out of the shit that our own chairman/board dropped us in.

Worst fans in the league. Get to fuck! :angry:

I don't think we're any worse than most other sets of fans in the SPL, but for me we are too negative too quickly and don't back the team enough at times.