The Well Support

star sail

Self analysis  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the Well Support during Mark McGhees reign?

• Best in the League
    • Top Six
    • Bottom Six
    • Worst in the league
    • Same as any other SPL fan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to tar all with the same brush, but...

I enjoy the away games as the supporters tend to get behind the team.

Am always taken back by the amount of vitriol from the home support that is hurled at certain players like Fizzy, and before him McBride, and before him......

Can't believe this helps the players, and ultimately believe that they are doing their best. If it is not working for them, or they are simply not good enough then thats for the manager to deal with.

I have never seen a player do any worse when the crowd are backing the team.

Mind you, I am totally two faced - Paul Kinnaird and Andy Roddie always got dogs abuse from me!

Can some of the older members tell me whether it always like this? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering how much ticket prices affect attitudes now. A lot of expectation is placed on the players when people are shelling out a good chunk of their weekly wages and in fairness to the Motherwell support it's not neccessarily a win that we expect, just for the players to give it a damn good go. I think the standing ovation at the end of the 1-0 defeat to killie at the start of last season is testament to that.

I went to my first 'well game in 1995 and back then I didn't really notice the crowd as I was just a wee lad. It's only recently I've noticed how attitudes differ when it comes to appropriate ways to 'support' the team. I use the term loosely as I think a good chunk of the crowd go in thinking "I've paid my £22, now do your part Motherwell". That's an attitude that I find hard to argue against as you rarely get £22 worth of entertainment in any SPL game.

Maybe the crowd would relax a little if supporting the team wasn't such a financial commitment?

Just a thought.

I love being motherwell fan and we take a lot of stick from the OF fans, but i wouldn't have it any other way.

When we were at the cis cup final a few years back i was so proud of our support and totally disgusted with the rangers end.

The utter bile that was flying round the ground that day was shocking, at half time there was a real buzz in our end of hope and expectation.

We can never claim to be out and out favourites to win any of our matches in this league, but our team has done us so proud.

Through administration and a serious of really bad managers we have produced some of the best scottish talent around.

Paul lambert, tom boyd, ally maxwell, faddy, pearo, o donnell, clarkson the list could go on and on.

Our club creates such a platform for these types of players to come through and our support although incredibly negative at times contributes to there developement.

There have been times where i've thought wtf were people thinking, with racial abuse to coloured players and the " dean shiels" incident.

But the only way that can improve is by us speaking up at matches and directing them to the rogue element.

I sit in the east stand bcos the atmosphere is better and will sing along with the majority of chants that get behind the team.

If it wasn't for the east stand support fir park would be like a morgue at times, i voted top six as who can really claim to be the best all have there bad parts on the whole we love our club and pay our money to criticise, lets just hope in the future it can be less "colourful"

I think the standing ovation at the end of the 1-0 defeat to killie at the start of last season is testament to that.

It was 2-1 when we lost to Kilmarnock last year Fudge, but you raise an excellent point. The standing ovation and support the fans showed at the end of that game was incredible, and as you rightly say it was down to the performance. It was a game we totally dominated, playing high paced excitting football. However, Killie had two shots and two goals and we just lacked that bit of luck.

Would you get that kind of support of other SPL teams? Definately not the Old Firm. That game against Killie will awalys stick with me as it's the most one sided match I have ever seen in my life! Yeah we lost it, but on another day when Combe wasn't playing as well and lady luck was with us we would have won that game handsomely, with at least four goals. And at full time, when we lost three points (and I think it was our first defeat of an impressive start to the season) the fans still applauded in their numbers the quality of football the boys had produced.

Yea, but in the same breath, boo's rang round the ground when we absolutely destroyed Dundee United at the start of this season but could only manage a 1-1 draw! :rolleyes:

'Flow

Yea, but in the same breath, boo's rang round the ground when we absolutely destroyed Dundee United at the start of this season but could only manage a 1-1 draw! :rolleyes:

'Flow

No doubt that's down to the shift in expecations from last season. One good season seems to have gone to some folks heads.

'Flow

I've thought about the booing at the end of this particular game and I don't feel that it was in anyway aimed at the players, just total frustration that we didn't win a game that we totally controlled.

Our 'support' at home is pretty shocking most of the time but any game i've watched elsewhere in the SPL as a neutral has been just the same, i'd say it's a scottish thing more than just a 'well thing. We probably get a worse reputation also because of the short proximity between the east stand and the pitch.

Can some of the older members tell me whether it always like this? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering how much ticket prices affect attitudes now. A lot of expectation is placed on the players when people are shelling out a good chunk of their weekly wages and in fairness to the Motherwell support it's not neccessarily a win that we expect, just for the players to give it a damn good go. I think the standing ovation at the end of the 1-0 defeat to killie at the start of last season is testament to that.

I went to my first 'well game in 1995 and back then I didn't really notice the crowd as I was just a wee lad. It's only recently I've noticed how attitudes differ when it comes to appropriate ways to 'support' the team. I use the term loosely as I think a good chunk of the crowd go in thinking "I've paid my £22, now do your part Motherwell". That's an attitude that I find hard to argue against as you rarely get £22 worth of entertainment in any SPL game.

Maybe the crowd would relax a little if supporting the team wasn't such a financial commitment?

Just a thought.

Interesting that you bring this up Church. It's something I've wondered how much an influence it plays also - and not just in terms of Motherwell fans. At one point or another in the last couple of decades we moved from being mere supporters to customers in the eyes of football clubs.

But that cuts both ways and in any line of work if you are a customer and aren't happy you are entitled to raise your grievances. So I think there will definetely be a correlation between the increasing amount fans spend and the perceived increasing lack of value for money for that money spent.

That said I still firmly believe that it does more harm than good letting rip at the players and is only going to be counter-productive in most respects. Better to bite the tongue or turn that negativity into a positive by yelling a bit of encouragement.

I've thought about the booing at the end of this particular game and I don't feel that it was in anyway aimed at the players, just total frustration that we didn't win a game that we totally controlled.

Why no boos at the Killie game last season then? We arguably dominated even more but lost the game?

Don't get me wrong, I am not giving my opinion on the wider debate, just the one issue of the Killie game last year and comparing it to what happened against the Arabs...

'Flow

That said I still firmly believe that it does more harm than good letting rip at the players and is only going to be counter-productive in most respects. Better to bite the tongue or turn that negativity into a positive by yelling a bit of encouragement.

Bingo, Andy. I cannot stand people shouting abuse at the players. Especially those who victimise certain players and give them dogs abuse for absolutely nothing while letting others away with murder. We're meant to be supporters yet some amongst our number believe that paying their money entitles them to verbally abuse a bunch of young lads who are trying their hearts out on the pitch. I sit in the Cooper and some of the abuse targetted at Fitzpatrick, O'Brien, Clarkson and others over time has bordered on the ridiculous. How does telling one of our players to "Fuck off" help anything? Much better to show some support and encouragement and try and inspire, rather than bully our players to do better.

Also, the whole thing with booing the team off the park. Really disappointing IMO. Yes, we're entitled to an opinion but if the team hasn't performed well, they know better than any of us that they've not achieved what they should and being booed off the pitch by a bunch of ungrateful, fickle so-called supporters is hardly going to inspire them to come out and do better for us the week after. Again, we pay our money and are entitled to be frustrated, disappointed and even angry but taking it out on the team helps nothing.

Who's going to want to play for a team who's fans will boo their own players more than the opposition?

maybe because we were winning all the time the fans took it better

Unlikely, it was only the third game of the season... :rolleyes:

It was the game we were denied a goal when Darren Smith bundled home - Alan Combe punted it up the park and "Dick Turpin" scored for Killie in the 93rd minute...

The fans rightly applauded and cheered the players of the park.

Fast forward almost exactly 365 days and virtually the same team absolutely batter Dundee United into the ground and somehow only manage a draw yet the air was filled with a chorus of boos as the players walked off the park... I couldn't believe it at the time!

A strange one...

'Flow

A large amount of it is down to ignorance and a false impression of football.

A massive percentage of the people I have sat around during my years watching Motherwell have no idea how the game should be played. Most want the ball to go forward, players to run with the ball, perfect 50 yards passes to be executed and more. It doesn't work like that and people don't appreciate this.

Its doesn't help that we are constantly bombarded with La Liga, Serie A and Premiership football - fans see this and expect the same at Fir Park.

Personally I feel the abuse Fitzpatrick and Fagan have endured from our own fans is disgraceful - look at Fitzpatrick now with a bit of confidence behind him? Totally new player and a justified first team starter.

One other thing is how quiet a fan base we have become. Like it almost rude to sing for longer than 10 seconds - then plonk back into your seat and moan.

So aye bottom six - we are not as bad as St Mirren fans and never will be.

EDIT - add to this Jim O'Brien - who was after 5 minutes on the park the new East Stand victim, he has held his head up and stuck two fingers up to all his doubters and is showing he is a great young player with bags of potential.

We are far to quick to judge.

Another thing is Ritchie Foran - a totally shite player, but loved by a section of our support cos he 'got intae them' - nothing to do with skill - it was just cos he was a bit of a nutter and got drunk!

Crazy!

Unlikely, it was only the third game of the season... :rolleyes:

It was the game we were denied a goal when Darren Smith bundled home - Alan Combe punted it up the park and "Dick Turpin" scored for Killie in the 93rd minute...

The fans rightly applauded and cheered the players of the park.

Fast forward almost exactly 365 days and virtually the same team absolutely batter Dundee United into the ground and somehow only manage a draw yet the air was filled with a chorus of boos as the players walked off the park... I couldn't believe it at the time!

A strange one...

'Flow

I remember the game you are on about now - A strange one indeed but who ever said that football fans make any sense at times. Still feel that it was down to frustration and not aimed at the players, but that is just my opinion.

I couldn't agree with you more Andy, and it is a superb point!

Football has evolved over the last decade or so, and we are now customers not fans! The money that has consumed football has changed fans attitutdes and perceptions in a negative way.

I wonder if the negativity in our game can be releated to the all-seater policy. We are over policed now and helth and safety has gone mad, whereas when I started going to football it was all terracing and their was a much better atmosphere! By introducing the all-seater policy clubs had to fork out major money revamping their stadiums, which got passed onto their fans - and we paid it. But the clubs realised that they could make more money and the prices gradually climbed to the horrific prices they are today - which bestows negativity on us fans, makes us feel more aggrevied and poorer performance and dramatically effects attendances.

Even as Scotland's so called "Number One Family Club," we are still just bums on seats to the powers that be and not a vital part of the club. I remember being in Motherwell in '91 when the squad paraded the trophy in an open top bus - it was one of my best memories. If we won a cup now, I don't think that would happen due to a variety of reasons.

Bottom line is Football is now a business Bottom line is Football is now a business, and this creeping into the game we love has alienated us, resulting in frustration that we vent on matchdays.

Based on this poll's results, should we be singing "we're Sh1te and we know we are!"?

We are definitely too quiet as a support but that has been true since the introduction of seating and stewards.

I haven't noticed any really vocal supports at other grounds outside of the O.F. and they are noisier away from home! At Tannadice our support was noisy and colourful but apart from five minutes in the second half we never heard them. Same at Hamilton. Paisley had more of them than normal but they didn't seem to be louder than usual.

If only we had a really good song or anthem to sing!Ho, Hum.

So with so many people voting that we are in the bottom six, what can be done about it?

How about a singing section?

The introduction of new songs would certainly help.

I wasn't lucky enough to be in Nancy (lucky old Ronald) but my mates said the variety of songs and atmosphere was worth the trip alone.

Most fans have more of a sing-song away from home, must be something to do with being the underdog or being out-numbered. And Well fans have a good song-song and a laugh away from home, especially away to either of the Old Firm. The 1-1 draw at Ibrox a couple of years ago was great with the 'shall we win the league for you' chants.

Some new songs and a singing area would be my suggestion for the future.

So with so many people voting that we are in the bottom six, what can be done about it?

How about a singing section?

The introduction of new songs would certainly help.

I wasn't lucky enough to be in Nancy (lucky old Ronald) but my mates said the variety of songs and atmosphere was worth the trip alone.

Most fans have more of a sing-song away from home, must be something to do with being the underdog or being out-numbered, or being pished. And Well fans have a good song-song and a laugh away from home, especially away to either of the Old Firm. The 1-1 draw at Ibrox a couple of years ago was great with the 'shall we win the league for you' chants.

Some new songs and a singing area would be my suggestion for the future.

A strange one...

'Flow

I'm sure the boos that day were directed at the referee that game, not the players.