The Well Support

star sail

Self analysis  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the Well Support during Mark McGhees reign?

• Best in the League
    • Top Six
    • Bottom Six
    • Worst in the league
    • Same as any other SPL fan

I couldn't agree with you more Andy, and it is a superb point!

Football has evolved over the last decade or so, and we are now customers not fans! The money that has consumed football has changed fans attitutdes and perceptions in a negative way.

I wonder if the negativity in our game can be releated to the all-seater policy. We are over policed now and helth and safety has gone mad, whereas when I started going to football it was all terracing and their was a much better atmosphere! By introducing the all-seater policy clubs had to fork out major money revamping their stadiums, which got passed onto their fans - and we paid it. But the clubs realised that they could make more money and the prices gradually climbed to the horrific prices they are today - which bestows negativity on us fans, makes us feel more aggrevied and poorer performance and dramatically effects attendances.

Even as Scotland's so called "Number One Family Club," we are still just bums on seats to the powers that be and not a vital part of the club. I remember being in Motherwell in '91 when the squad paraded the trophy in an open top bus - it was one of my best memories. If we won a cup now, I don't think that would happen due to a variety of reasons.

Bottom line is Football is now a business Bottom line is Football is now a business, and this creeping into the game we love has alienated us, resulting in frustration that we vent on matchdays.

Totally agree with what your saying football has turned into.

But for me alot has to blame for people laying down and letting these changes happen, theres no fight, no will to change and try claim back a bit of the game for the fans. people are all to willing to let thier clubs and governing bodies abuse the fans and strangle any enjoyment.

There was groups about who tried ther best to fight this and change perceptions wellboys for example.

Brittish fans in general are shite, a mix between overpricing, overpolicing, over stewarding, clubs being overly greedy and fickle as fuck when it comes to fans,they want us to be loud and back the team give,but they'll employ and co-conspire with ridiculous police overkill in the stands.

Nothing will change untill football fans AND clubs highlight and aim to solve these problems together en-masse.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT - add to this Jim O'Brien - who was after 5 minutes on the park the new East Stand victim, he has held his head up and stuck two fingers up to all his doubters and is showing he is a great young player with bags of potential.

The thing is if one of the players did react, like Buzz did last season there would be people on here moaning that they did. Arseholes who can give it but not take it back. It was funny, as it was the Gretna game Smith reacted too, and if it wasn't for him we would have been humped. (I think it was the second game "away"). Hard men in a crowd but easily offended some of our support! Back to the whole Bullied Syndrome me thinks

An interesting subject.

Overall, I think our support is quite poor towards our team. There's the getting on players back and abuse that has already been touched on, but something else that really infuriates me about our support is the lack of singing and songs in support of the team. I know obviously since the terraces were abolished the atmosphere inside football grounds has been greatly subdued, but even back in the day, our support would only sing at the start, and again near the end of a game providing that we were winning. We also never seem able to come up with any original songs to sing either. Apart from "Motherwell Motherwell" and "Well Well, Super Well" all we get is "There's only one - enter player's name -", and songs copied from other teams like "We are the Motherwell FC" - obviously adding Motherwell instead of an other team's name. Can't we think up something of our own to sing???

Based on this poll's results, should we be singing "we're Sh1te and we know we are!"?

We are definitely too quiet as a support but that has been true since the introduction of seating and stewards.

If only we had a really good song or anthem to sing!Ho, Hum.

Back in the late 70's early 80's the fans used to sing a song 'Spot the Looney(sp)?' referring to the referee. It is one of my fondest memories as a kid at Fir Park. Seems a bit too innocent now but I would love to hear that song ring round Fir Park again. It would solve all our problems in an instant, and we would probably win the league!!

You can actually hear it on the STV Well v Gers footage posted on another thread.