125th Anniversary Strip

Pettywulliegrew-2

If the club originally played in petrol blue, couldn't we have at least a change strop in that, claret amber hoop (right round), normal badge with some nicely worked in silver and possibly some silver italic threaded text?

White shorts, claret amber trim.

Petrol blue socks.

Coloured boots banned all season. Black ones only. (Scratch that, back to the original hobnail efforts and get right into them at Swiney and Mutton-On-Sea)

I kind of have a mental picture of what I mean, but no artistic skills.

If the club originally played in petrol blue, couldn't we have at least a change strop in that, claret amber hoop (right round), normal badge with some nicely worked in silver and possibly some silver italic threaded text?

White shorts, claret amber trim.

Petrol blue socks.

Coloured boots banned all season. Black ones only. (Scratch that, back to the original hobnail efforts and get right into them at Swiney and Mutton-On-Sea)

I kind of have a mental picture of what I mean, but no artistic skills.

We played in blue, petrol blue is a sop to those who objected to blue. Get us a blue strip :thumbup:

WTF is blue blue?

Ye cannae just say a colour twice to make it more legit Matt.

And you can forget naming swatches on the Dulux chart with that kind of patter too.

Aye ah can, just because. You're just being argumentative, let's just call it Rangers Blue, everyone will get the picture then. :evilgrin:

what's the obsession with petrol blue? what's wrong with normal blue?

This SITE shows Glencairn and Alpha both wore Petrol Blue, although it shows MFC's 1st strip was blue and white stripes. The site seems to change from time to time as I remember it showing Alpha as a white shirt and black pants before the merger with Glencairn and MFC's 1st strip being the same as Glencairn's .... why that has changed ???

Anyway, given May 2011 is the Club's 125th anniversary I and many others on here thought it an opportunity to celebrate our roots and encourage the Club to release a one-season only strip more related to our original colours .... be they whatever.

There is nothing to say that it is petrol Blue. But, It's not a normal shade of blue, it's.... petrol blue. evilgrin.gifrolleyes.gif

Seriously, Motherwell FC's original colours were Blue and White. The Darker Shade of Blue was not the clubs original Colours. So if our Anniversary kit was to be original colours or have them incorporated then it will have to be Blue and White. Sadly, Most 'Well Fans seem to dislike that combination after the 2004-2006 Kits.

Would folk be as eager to change from Claret and Amber if our original colous were green ? If you want a blue strip buy a Scotland top :rolleyes:

Original colours weren't green, they were blue, so a non-question really.

It's like saying if we won the CIS in 2005 what sort of party would you have had?

The proposed strip is not meant to be a show of preference or loyalty to any other club it is aimed as a tribute to Motherwell FC's history. Motherwell's original strip was blue and white stripes and I think a strip in those colours with some claret and amber edging, writing or whatever would be a worth while production and I for one would buy it because Motherwell are my team and I'm proud of that.

• Like 1

The proposed strip is not meant to be a show of preference or loyalty to any other club it is aimed as a tribute to Motherwell FC's history. Motherwell's original strip was blue and white stripes and I think a strip in those colours with some claret and amber edging, writing or whatever would be a worth while production and I for one would buy it because Motherwell are my team and I'm proud of that.

Common Sense Alert!!

• Like 1

Agreed

This SITE shows Glencairn and Alpha both wore Petrol Blue, although it shows MFC's 1st strip was blue and white stripes. The site seems to change from time to time as I remember it showing Alpha as a white shirt and black pants before the merger with Glencairn and MFC's 1st strip being the same as Glencairn's .... why that has changed ???

Anyway, given May 2011 is the Club's 125th anniversary I and many others on here thought it an opportunity to celebrate our roots and encourage the Club to release a one-season only strip more related to our original colours .... be they whatever.

Sorry big yin but it doesn't mention petrol blue

In May 1886, Glencairn FC (named after John Glencairn Carter Hamilton of Dalzell no less) and Alpha FC (the works team from the Alpha Steam Crane & Engine Works) merged to form Motherwell FC. It seems that both teams wore identical navy and white outfits, a very common choice in Scotland at the time, but the new Motherwell team adopted "light blue:" this appears to refer to a shade intermediate between royal and sky blue.

I just thought that I would add my opinion.

First of all it ain't petrol blue, if anything it's sky blue,I notice on that site of old jerseys that we also had, yellow and black stripes,plain white and a snazzy maroon, will we incorporate them.

In 1913, we started to wear claret and amber and for 98 years that's been our colours.

My opinion is we should stick to claret and amber but put a petrol blue badge or maybe epaulettes for those who want to wear blue.