125th Anniversary Strip

Pettywulliegrew-2

I really like it. It looks great and the fact its going to be polyester as opposed to cotton is indeed a nice modern twist on a retro design.

That being said, I'll not be buying anything til i've seen the finished product -hope it lives up to my expectations.

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade but I'm not impressed at all. I thought we would at the very least have been doing a limited edition one season shirt which the players would indeed wear similar, as has been said above, to the arsenal claret shirt they did.

It's basically another retro merchandise for the club shop. Disappointing. (even though I do like the design)

Yes Willie,

Fire away and post a clearer pic, That would be helpful.

The shirt is similar in design to the previous retro shirt but it has a modern twist. We have used a heavy polyester (thicker than your normal football jersey) instead of the cotton that we have used in previous retro shirts.

To celebrate 125 years of this great institution we decided that the most appropriate design would be influenced by the more traditional strips of our history.

The shirt is enhanced further with the crest that Willie kindly designed for us using the original font with some additional details.

It is not a first team shirt and will only be on sale in the club shop. The decision to go with Adults sizes only was because this shirt will appeal in the main to the more experienced sections of our support :)

Hope this helps.

It will be available to order online tomorrow afternon.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for that Alan, will there be a specific amount of shirts made or will you just keep making them next season?

I thought we would at the very least have been doing a limited edition one season shirt which the players would indeed wear similar

The initial plan was for the team to wear this one off retro top in the game/date nearest to our anniversary. In order to do this you need approval from the powers that be (SFA, SPL, Commsworld). There may be other boring technical reasons why this plan never came to pass.

No doubt we will know shortly what is happening with our kit next season, until then we just need to be glad we have a club shop that works hard to give us a good variety of merchandise.

I have a feeling this idea isn't what the majority (all?) of the support were expecting....

Seems most thought we were getting some kind of special, one-season anniversary kit, a-la the claret Arsenal home kit from a few seasons back for the Highbury stuff....and it turns out what we actually have is just another bit of shop merchandise?

Exactly, very underwhelming.

Very dissapointed by this news. By all means the proposals for the retro style anniversary top sound great but after all the chat of petrol blue and blue and white stripes etc. I am left feeling pretty miffed and feel the club have missed a major opportunity to really mark this 125th anniversary. Something like what aresnal and coventry have produced for whatever anniversary they have is more what I and probably most fans expected. Nothing against underboyleheating's badge design, i like it but would have liked it on at least one 'playing' strip for next season and not just another retro style piece of merchandise.

The initial plan was for the team to wear this one off retro top in the game/date nearest to our anniversary. In order to do this you need approval from the powers that be (SFA, SPL, Commsworld). There may be other boring technical reasons why this plan never came to pass.

The club could have put a bit more effort and planning into it then, so everything was sorted long before now.

Christ, even Albion Rovers managed to have an anniversary top sorted with all the authorities a couple of seasons back when they wore the ble and yellow strips.

Ach, let's not get too carried away here. 125 years isn't really *that* significant a number, in the "big anniversary numbers" scheme of things.

If it was our 100th or 150th anniversary, I'd be a bit more miffed that we didn't have a special strip for the year. But 125? Meh. I'd much rather our strip just said "Scottish Cup Winners 2010/11" on it sometime soon :)