Amazing Story From The Past...if True!

Well Up For It!

One of the boys I went to Uni with is now staying out in LA and he e-mailed me this amazing story today...

He recently met Ruud Gullit out in a bar and approached him to shake his hand, the usual nonsense. He was apparantley a top bloke and chatted to my mate for some time. When Gullit discovered he was from Scotland, he said that he always liked the physical appeal of the Scottish game and was once linked with a managers job in Scotland...and I'll give you two guesses which club?!!

Apparantley it was after the departure of Billy Davies, big Gullit who had been out of the management game for a year and was having little luck landing another high profile job following his disatorous "sexy football" spell at Newcastle, talked to Pat Nevin about the posibility of taking over at Well. I'm assuming his wage demands were ridiculous, or he was deemed to be at it, and the club went for Eric Black...

Now my mate is a diehard blue nose, and he is prone to the odd wind up - but he was rather adament when I sent him a big "AYE RIGHT!" reply.

But to be honest I don't really care if it's true or not, I just thought it was a wonderful past rumour!

Has anyone else got any other too good to be true rumours from days gone by...?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Ole was due to the board being tight-arsed about it at the time. Ginger wanted him, but the £250,000 price tag was deemed too high!

Ginger Eck then apparently enquired about a young Paul Scholes only to be told by Slur Alex "f*ck off...".

Bjørn Tore Kvarme was the other Norwegian we were tracking with Ole Gunnar Solskjær....

Neil Lennon was on the books too (late 80's) - stayed with Chris McCart's granny at the time but moved to Man City in less that "above board" circumstances shall we say (allegedly) :P

A then relatively unknown Gus Hiddink applied for the Motherwell job back in 1994 when Tom McLean moved to Hearts. We went for McLeish :angry::(

Still, don't think anything will beat St Mirren missing out on Ronaldinho (tried to take him on loan from PSG back when they trying to stay in the SPL. Think they signed Jens Pasalek instead :D:D ) back in 2000.... Doh!

'Flow

Bjørn Tore Kvarme was the other Norwegian we were tracking with Ole Gunnar Solskjær....

Neil Lennon was on the books too (late 80's) - stayed with Chris McCart's granny at the time but moved to Man City in less that "above board" circumstances shall we say (allegedly) ^_^

A then relatively unknown Gus Hiddink applied for the Motherwell job back in 1994 when Tom McLean moved to Hearts. We went for McLeish :lol::(

Still, don't think anything will beat St Mirren missing out on Ronaldinho (tried to take him on loan from PSG back when they trying to stay in the SPL. Think they signed Jens Pasalek instead :lol::lol: ) back in 2000.... Doh!

'Flow

I'm pretty sure they couldn't get a work permit for him due to his age (?)

We also looked at keeper Pegguy Arphexad who went on to play for Leicester and Liverpool.

I don't think a guy that sat on the bench for two teams however big they perceived to be really fits in all that well in context of this thread. Years from now we're hardly gonna be getting misty eye at how close we came to signing Peggy Arphexad! :lol:

wasnt it Ole Solskjaer and Ronny Johnsen as a double deal? Big Eck said Johnsen was a player but Solskjaer would never make a good striker and as he couldnt get Johnsen on his own,he binned them, sure thats the version i heard a wee while ago.

When I told that and some of the other players Eck binned to ma m8 whos a blue nose season ticket holder, he came away wi a few crackers who apparently were on trial wi Rangers during Ecks reign and were binned cause he didnt think they were any good, I cant rem the names of the players but I was shocked at the names he gave me.

Aye who needs Ole Gunnar when you've got Andy Roddie!! :unsure::wacko::rolleyes:

Ecks transfers dealing were always shocking and with the exception of Van Der Gaag, did he sign anyone who really done a turn for us?!

i was delighted when Andy Roddie signed cause we had a player wi my surname and I never thought that would happen, delight soon turned to horror when I saw him play tho. :lol:

Owen Coyle?

Simo?

Forgot about Coyle, and thought Simo was a Kampman signing. I suppose you have a case for Garcin as well just for that freekirk and nothing else!

Oh...Matthei! He was no bad, and Doesburg did do a job too!

Me finks I'm starting to contradict my initial post about him signing pish! :unsure:

Still...Andy Roddie outweighs any decent signing he made! And he did sign about 20 players when he was at The 'Ark - and so far we have named three good ones and three no bad ones!!

Let's not forget he was the man who signed Emersboggie and Nuno Capucho for the Gers! They were both quality signings for us...and every other team in the SPL!! :rolleyes: