'WellGall

Season tickets 2011-12  

129 members have voted

1. 1. How many fans will renew season tickets

• Will be renewing my season ticket
    • Wont be renewing my season ticket
    • Undecided yet
    • who will be buying one for the first time
    • Had a season ticket before, let it lapse and buying a new season ticket.

I've emailed the club before saying i think they should investigate whether copying the Flexible ticket option used by Glasgow Warriors rugby at Firhill.

The ticket is bought at a discount to the pay at the gate price and can be used for any league or european cup game. As I know i'll not be able to make every game i tend to buy two or three at a time and get more when i run out.

Also as they're affordable enough to buy as birthday presents or stocking fillers at christmas it means that i've had them as gifts. Whereas your old auntie may not know to but you a ticket for a specific game if she knows you're a well fan a flexi ticket can be used at any game.

Plus point for the club is that they get cash in even when there's no game on as i tend to buy my tickets in between matches.

Deffo think it could work and the discount to PATG is a real bonus. Could even sell them as singles, batch of 5 or ten whatever scaling the discount accordingly.

Obviously the flexi ticket may not be valid for certain categories of games such as Old Firm.

On a greater scale i think getting a ticket like this SPL wide (outside OF) would be a goer as well - i.e ticket allows you access to any SPL match - might help increase away attendances

Certainly think we need to be more creative with ticketing for games

• Like 1

I like the idea of the flexi tickets - this I think is a must.

Cheaper 'advanced purchase' tickets.

Like the ideas about free / reduced prices for kids and good season ticket deals.

However unless I'm missing something there's a lack of incentive to yer average punter ST holder who goes to the game with a bunch of other average ST holding punters. (i.e. no kids in tow) Just groups of guys (or gals) that turn up week in week out.

I'm undecided because of cost, I was a ST holder for around 10 years in the East but work got in the way. This year I renewed at xmas for myself and two older kids 8 + 6. The older one is now gone football crazy, happliy telling the others at school that they are all stupid for supporting the OF teams. While her younger brother seems abit too young to happily sit through the full match with out his DS to ease the boredom .

BUT if i can renew the 3 tickets on the current pricing of paying adult they 2 get in free then I'll be signing up quickly.

Didn't really fancy the cooper before but it has to be said it is alot better for matches when I have the kids in tow. Now not sure if i was a payg fan don't think i'd return to the east stand.

Why not rather than let people in for free ( it must be rubbish it's free ) say it's only a quid ( thus a bargain) . also why oh why must all games be all ticket !!!! that just puts a barrier in the way.

£1 to get in

£3 programme

£1 for a bl##dy mars bar

£3 for pie and drink.

Reduced entry brings in £8 from someone who would normally come to FP.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, tired ranting am away for a munch.

I will be renewing for next season, just couldn't imagine not going along to Fir Park of a matchday!

However, some enterprising thinking is required not just to attract new fans, but to placate those long-term fans considering not spending their hard earned at Fir Park. A flexi-ticket would be an excellent initiative, as would a ten game season ticket to be used whenever suits.

As regards the name of the ticket for young 'uns to replicate getting 'lifted over', how about the MFC Helping Hand?

Stepping Stone. Helping them "across" (through) the turnstile and hopefully towards becoming a full-time Dosser.

There, I said it. :doh:

FWIW I think the flexible 2/3 game ticket or whatever is a good idea.

Or if kids get in free, they have to go to a game to be issued a ticket for the next game?

Sorry , yes my thinking was just for the kids , help getting fans for the future.......

Remember these cheap seats are really empty seats that no one wants, so it doesn't cost anything to sell them off cheap.

Get a section of each stand sponsored by POUNDLAND !

Encourage the kids to buy programme by having cut out coupons collect 3 different vouchers you get your bonus game for free ( in real terms you spent £9 to save £1 but still a good deal ) and once you start to buy programmes it quickly becomes a habit!

Leeanne what is stopping you from having children under 12 free all the time? On a Saturday boys tend to hang about with their mates why not make it free (or a quid) to get groups of under 12, Maby 14s in thru the gate. Or is that not possible? Surely we don't make that much from kids tickets do we? Plus it could become future investment? As I say I don't have much knowledge on the issue was just curious

There are a few reasons for this I guess but the main one being the ratio of stewards and police required for adults versus juneniles. Before I arrived at the club we did a deal were juveniles got in for a £1. I won't go into the nuts and bolts of it but we found out, to our cost, that we had to have a really high ratio of stewards/police to children in the ground. It is because they are essentially unsupervised. It is a long and quite boring story but we simply can't do it, the costs involved to the club, and I must stress this is not loss of ticket revenue but additional stewarding and police make it financially impossible.

We also don't want lots of young and unsupervised children in the stadium and I am not being a killjoy or stopping kids from supporting the team but were there to be a problem, an evacuation etc then it would be simply unsafe for us to have a high number of unsupervised youngsters involved. This is why we are proposing the deal where under 12's are supervised.

I know it is worst case scenario planning but as a responsible club, we must think along these lines.

As regards say 14 and above, I think there needs to be a cost involved of some description hence a really competative price around say £60/£70 a season.

There are a few reasons for this I guess but the main one being the ratio of stewards and police required for adults versus juneniles. Before I arrived at the club we did a deal were juveniles got in for a £1. I won't go into the nuts and bolts of it but we found out, to our cost, that we had to have a really high ratio of stewards/police to children in the ground. It is because they are essentially unsupervised. It is a long and quite boring story but we simply can't do it, the costs involved to the club, and I must stress this is not loss of ticket revenue but additional stewarding and police make it financially impossible.

We also don't want lots of young and unsupervised children in the stadium and I am not being a killjoy or stopping kids from supporting the team but were there to be a problem, an evacuation etc then it would be simply unsafe for us to have a high number of unsupervised youngsters involved. This is why we are proposing the deal where under 12's are supervised.

I know it is worst case scenario planning but as a responsible club, we must think along these lines.

As regards say 14 and above, I think there needs to be a cost involved of some description hence a really competative price around say £60/£70 a season.

A quid for a kid who is accompanied by a full payng adult would be ideal all round then?

There are a few reasons for this I guess but the main one being the ratio of stewards and police required for adults versus juneniles. Before I arrived at the club we did a deal were juveniles got in for a £1.

This is why we are proposing the deal where under 12's are supervised.

That's how I got involved in Motherwell. It was a scheme where the club sent tickets to High Schools and we 'bought' them off the school for a pound a game. Our whole family were Rangers 'fans', only attending the odd game at Ibrox if we were lucky, then I started going through this scheme, just for something to do. 13 years later me, my Dad and my Sister are all die hard 'Well fans! So it does work, and is a SERIOUS investment in the future.

Anyway, my main point is about the 'supervision' technicalities. You say under 12s need to be supervised, that's Primary School age, fair enough. What about High School age, 12+ surely they could be let in for £1 a game? (not free, consumers don't respond well to free goods or services, they lose all sense of value)

Additionally, a point about pricing structures that I have mentioned over and over again, the much fabled 'Bradford' scheme whereby the club set a rather large target of people to really get the ground busy, say 7,000. If the club get so many people signing up to an UBER cheap ST, say £129 then that's the price. For every 250 people short of the target then the price increases by £10. So if 4750 sign up the price is £179 (5x250 short = £129+50). Now with a quick calculation off the top of my head this would bring in roughly the same amount of ST income as at the moment, but with more bums on seats and the many, many benefits that brings to the club, players and fans. I have always said that one of the biggest follies of our national game is letting a plastic seat sit empty inside for £0 when someone outside willing to pay £10 for it.

Bradford done this and more than doubled their home gates, this when they dropped down the leagues and were playing chronic football, haha just realised it would have been our man Stuarty Mac there at them time, ask him about it!!

The marketing of such a scheme would need to be executed with flair, however if a buzz is created about such a revolutionary price for a football season ticket it could take off. Just like when there is a queue out the door of a cinema to see a movie on opening night, are people there to watch the movie or just be part of the queue...?

Anyway, my main point is about the 'supervision' technicalities. You say under 12s need to be supervised, that's Primary School age, fair enough. What about High School age, 12+ surely they could be let in for £1 a game? (not free, consumers don't respond well to free goods or services, they lose all sense of value)

Additionally, a point about pricing structures that I have mentioned over and over again, the much fabled 'Bradford' scheme whereby the club set a rather large target of people to really get the ground busy, say 7,000. If the club get so many people signing up to an UBER cheap ST, say £129 then that's the price. For every 250 people short of the target then the price increases by £10. So if 4750 sign up the price is £179 (5x250 short = £129+50). Now with a quick calculation off the top of my head this would bring in roughly the same amount of ST income as at the moment, but with more bums on seats and the many, many benefits that brings to the club, players and fans. I have always said that one of the biggest follies of our national game is letting a plastic seat sit empty inside for £0 when someone outside willing to pay £10 for it.

Bradford done this and more than doubled their home gates, this when they dropped down the leagues and were playing chronic football, haha just realised it would have been our man Stuarty Mac there at them time, ask him about it!!

[/i]

firstly i think 14 is some kind of legal cut off. you see a lot of gigs that are advertised over 14s.

the idea of us doubling our season ticket base isn't possible imo. we had about 5000 at the semi final and that was a big one off game, would every single person there buy a season ticket?

firstly i think 14 is some kind of legal cut off. you see a lot of gigs that are advertised over 14s.

the idea of us doubling our season ticket base isn't possible imo. we had about 5000 at the semi final and that was a big one off game, would every single person there buy a season ticket?

If they were ridiclulously cheap, like near enough half price then possibly yes. We need to try it, or something equally as bold rather than the same old product and prices perhaps with bells on, that will only lead to us all sitting moaning about crowds but rejecting ideas because they 'wouldn't work' - how do we know, it hasn't been done before! What we do know is that there are 11000 people in the catchment area of Fir Park that will pay to see Motherwell, see European games, or the Dundee Utd £5 game. The punters are there. If a market exists then they exist to be exploited with clever and innovative marketing.

The world of football has changed but most of all the world we live and work in or not work in has changed. A lot of people work shifts or work weekends so getting to the football becomes difficult a season ticket is fine for those who work Monday to Friday. Those who don't will find that whether a season ticket was £125 it probably wouldn't be worth it to them. I have said this before but I always loved the idea of clubs saying ok if we sell 15% more tickets we will reduce all prices by 10% if we don't all prices go up 5%. Actually challenge the fans to set prices.

I've emailed the club before saying i think they should investigate whether copying the Flexible ticket option used by Glasgow Warriors rugby at Firhill.

The ticket is bought at a discount to the pay at the gate price and can be used for any league or european cup game. As I know i'll not be able to make every game i tend to buy two or three at a time and get more when i run out.

Also as they're affordable enough to buy as birthday presents or stocking fillers at christmas it means that i've had them as gifts. Whereas your old auntie may not know to but you a ticket for a specific game if she knows you're a well fan a flexi ticket can be used at any game.

Plus point for the club is that they get cash in even when there's no game on as i tend to buy my tickets in between matches.

Deffo think it could work and the discount to PATG is a real bonus. Could even sell them as singles, batch of 5 or ten whatever scaling the discount accordingly.

Obviously the flexi ticket may not be valid for certain categories of games such as Old Firm.

On a greater scale i think getting a ticket like this SPL wide (outside OF) would be a goer as well - i.e ticket allows you access to any SPL match - might help increase away attendances

Certainly think we need to be more creative with ticketing for games

I think this is a really good idea. There are plenty of fans out there that don't go to all the games for one reason or another and this would be a good way of letting those fans get a discount on the Pay at the Gate price but without having to commit to the full 18 league games to get the benefit of a season ticket. It'd also get more fans on the mailing list that currently only season ticket holders are on for more info on offers and that.

It could be worked in a couple of different ways too, you could have it so you'd buy a package of 5 or ten games or whatever, or you could have like a membership deal where you could get a discount on the gate price by buying a membership card up front. Say you can pay £100 up front and then pay like £10 or £12 at the gate for every game you go to. It'd increase the amount of money coming in during the close-season from people that don't buy season tickets. Also, if we end up in a position where we've got a nothing mid-week game that we'd normally get a 3000 crowd for we could let these folk in for free as a thank you/way of boosting the attendance at some pishy St. Mirren game.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a season ticket for Bolton last season, it only cost me £50, amazing value considering they are 35 million quid in debt, I don't see why a club like Motherwell can't offer some kind of deal to attract more people toward season tickets, although I will be renewing my Motherwell season ticket for next year

I think my decision to get a season ticket next season very much depends on the outcome of this SPL Summit meeting at the start of may.

Do the club do some kind of finance deal on the season ticket? Direct Debit or the like?

I would fully expect the club to announce season ticket renewals either this week or next.

How's about a deal whereby if you buy a new season ticket before the cup final we chuck in a free ticket for the final?

I had a season ticket for Bolton last season, it only cost me £50, amazing value considering they are 35 million quid in debt, I don't see why a club like Motherwell can't offer some kind of deal to attract more people toward season tickets...

You answered your own question - Motherwell tries to run financially as a break-even club. Gate revenues and season tickets make up a substantial amount of our turnover.

I'm sure if we received the millions that Bolton do in Sky money we could cut the fans a better deal.