Motherwell Vs Aberdeen Discussion Thread...

David

Very satisfying afternoon's work. We outplayed them in the first half and Humphrey was just superb down that wing. Poor Stevie Smith just couldn't cope with his raw pace. Given Brown knows both of these players I find it astounding he allowed that mis-match to happen. Jones had a different talent down the other side and he makes up for his lesser pace by being a bit more intelligent in finding space. But what made us dominate the first half so much was the pressing game that Lasley, Hateley and the defenders played. It forced them into a lot of balls that were frankly shite and we were never threatened.

All this was going on and you just knew that after our efforts on Wednesday we probably needed a second goal as there was every chance we were going to run out of petrol. And as we spurned chances you just had a feeling that it could finish 1-1 as they came more and more into the game. Just when I had resigned myself to having to hold on to 1-0 we scored a second and I really didn't see Aberdeen scoring 2. Until they scored 1! But by then Saunders, Lasley and Humphrey were the walking wounded, we were on our umpteenth defensive formation and we did well to keep them out.

But overall we overran them in one half, dug it out in the other and three priceless points - Well done Motherwell.

And I don't know about anyone else but it frightens the living daylights out of me that that referee is a FIFA official.

A fine if not spectacular win yesterday and an important 3 points in our quest for a top 6 slot. Plenty of talking points including a shocker of a referee, some fine performances, Aberdeen's strongarm tactics and the Craig Brown V John Boyle incident right at the very end. Given our exertions we were always going to run out of steam in the latter stages and SM called that just right. Good to see a sound debut from Maurice Ross and the return of Saunders and McHugh.

Peformance wise we never managed to kill the game off and midfield struggled a bit at times. Darren Randolph didn't have much to do but pulled off a match winning save. Shaun Hutchinson had a strong game at the back and Maurice Ross fitted in well. Don't know why Stephen Craigan was brought on though - that sent out a signal to the Dons to come and get us. Chris Humphrey was my MOTM. Not Keith Lasley's greatest performance but he deserves a mention for an outstanding attitude. Up front Jamie Murphy looked very impressive.

Really disappointed with Aberdeen's behaviour and attitude - cynical, physical, and whingeing. A few fans in the POD Stand requested CB to "call his attack dogs off" but their pleas fell on deaf ears.

An absolutely appalling refereeing display that deserves a thread all on its own.

Still a satisfying day's work from many perspectives and SM and John Porteous will have their work cut out to prepare the lads for Dundee United who will be more than willing to rough us up.

Don't know why Stephen Craigan was brought on though - that sent out a signal to the Dons to come and get us.

I think by then it was obvious a lot of players were struggling and Gunning and Hammell still had something in the tank so he wanted them on the left so we had two different outballs and to move Gunning out Craigan was the right choice. Because although it was centre half for striker it wasn't going to change the shape of the team at all. However it never came into being because Gunning got whacked and subbed before it could.

BBC reporting Gunning out for Wednesday after the injury he picked up yesterday. Back four of Hammell, Craigan, Hutchinson, Ross now. Saunders in reserve. Hopefully Hammell is fit. Struggling if he isn't. Jones at LB? Middle two of Forbes and Hateley is a wee concern right enough. Can't see Lasley being risked. Hopefully Jeffers is good to go as well from now on. He was missed yesterday.

BBC reporting Gunning out for Wednesday after the injury he picked up yesterday. Back four of Hammell, Craigan, Hutchinson, Ross now. Saunders in reserve. Hopefully Hammell is fit. Struggling if he isn't. Jones at LB? Middle two of Forbes and Hateley is a wee concern right enough. Can't see Lasley being risked. Hopefully Jeffers is good to go as well from now on. He was missed yesterday.

I would think young Page could do a job in either left back or in the middle of the park.

A thoroughly satisfying 3 points against as poor an Aberdeen team as I can remember seeing. I nearly gave myself an ulcer in the last minutes as I was convinced Aberdeen were going to equalise! Ended up walking up and down the back of the East Stand and when Hutchy scored I ran and sat back down and began the goading of Brown safely in the knowledge the points were now safe......would have been an absolute travesty to concede a late equaliser.

The Brown v Boyle spat has overshadowed how bad the ref was. Absolutely atrocious. Maguire is now up there with Swanston as my "new most hated players" and how he stayed on the park I'll never know.

We resembled the walking wounded at the end and dug in very well although I do worry about the personel available for Wednesday and the physical state of the ones who aren't already injured.