The Fir Park Social Club

SuperCC

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope and they try to leech off the clubs name as much as possible.

I'm sure the club have many times had disagreements with them over their method of advertising, I'm sure they had banners up last year saying "Come watch the game and drink at Fir Park" omitting "club".

It's a Rangers shop through and through.

Am I not right in saying that the 'Fir Park Club' that was owned by MFC was part of the Main Stand? I'm not really sure.

However, I think it would be a good bit of business by the club if they bought the existing premises given that there's not a lot of room for expansion of the stadium. I think they did try in the not too distant past, right enough.

Frazzle

However, I think it would be a good bit of business by the club if they bought the existing premises given that there's not a lot of room for expansion of the stadium. I think they did try in the not too distant past, right enough.

What's the point with the prospect of moving to another ground?! Would be a waste of cash that could be used to secure Klimpl long term! :rolleyes:

Plus from what I've heard through very reliable sources is that we will copy Kilmarnock if/when we move to a new ground and have and ajacent top of the range bar/restaurant/function suite/hotel etc! ;)

So while we are all being pacient for that, lets make do with the Electric Bar, Joker, Jacks, Centenary, Cooper and the dirty rangers fir park club!

I meant more from an MFC revenue point of view, than myself looking for a new waterring hole! But, aye - I take your point about the new ground. Someone with more information/business acumen than myself would be able to tell if the club would get more than their initial outlay back in the time between now and the stadium move.

Frazzle

The Fir Park Club did used to under the Phil O Donnell stand and the running of was attached to the Football Club. I can't mind what happened but the Fir Park Club was removed from the stadium and the Fir Park Club Committee purchased the sports/squash club and became independant from the Football Club, now the new Fir Park Social Club. I seem to remember the Football Club approaching the Social Club for money a few years back and were told where to go, but that is a vague memory and might not be true. Disagree it's a Rangers club, plenty of well fans drink in there. The lager they serve now is rank and although still have a membership rarely drink there now.

The fpc IS predominately Rangers which i wouldnt mind IF they could take a bit of banter but i have been warned for nothing more than slagging Rangers. What concerns me about stadium move is if there is club bars folk will be expected to pay through the nose for drink.

I would like to see an official Supporters Social club along the lines of the one near Easter Road.I wont hold my breath waiting on the trust ACTUALLY doing something for the support. :rolleyes:

When the FP club was under the stand it was run by a committee and paid rent to MFC.

When they moved across the road, it allowed MFC to sell the house in Fir Park street and move the office under the stand. The other big bonus for MFC was getting the Alpha Squash Club off it's hands. It was a white elephant.

I don't know if they still play the national anthem, but they certainly used to. They would announce it beforehand so that people could leave if they didn't want to stand for "The Queen".

I'm a member of the social club as I enjoy going there for a few before the match with the people I sit with in the Cooper and I can safely say that I've never heard of it being a Rangers bar or seen anything to suggest that's the case.

It's great before a match and loaded with Well fans (as you would expect). That's all I'm looking for!

When the FP club was under the stand it was run by a committee and paid rent to MFC.

When they moved across the road, it allowed MFC to sell the house in Fir Park street and move the office under the stand. The other big bonus for MFC was getting the Alpha Squash Club off it's hands. It was a white elephant.

I don't know if they still play the national anthem, but they certainly used to. They would announce it beforehand so that people could leave if they didn't want to stand for "The Queen".

im sure the club still own that house as they have a house players can rent while looking for somewhere

They sold the "office" (No43, the first one past the car park) when they moved the offices into the stadium (I know this 'cos my mum wiorked there at the time). I think they bought one a couple of doors along a few years later. I remeber guys like Don Goodman and Ritchie Foran lived in it. Don't know if they still have it though.

i was under the impression it was tommy mclean who wanted the club moved from under the stand.if you go in the main hall at the weekend they stand for the queen, outwith motherwell home games there is a pro rangers atmosphere to the place

As some have said the Fir Park Club, or whatever it was called formerly, used to be located in the POD Stand. They used to make a substantial donation to MFC in those days. MFC then built a sports centre/squash club in Edward Street. This venture was indeed a white elephant. The social club and MFC then fell out as I recall and the sports centre was converted and sold to the now Fir Park Club.

Since then I've never been too sure what the connection, if indeed there is any at all, is between the Fir Park Club and MFC. What we do know is that the FP club numbers many Well fans in its membership and that it profits greatly from games at Fir Park. In my opinion is this a very strange situation. I know many died in the wool Dossers who won't give MFC a penny in cash (ie drinks or snacks or whatever) and prefer to frequent the FP club. All very strange.

Now it seems ludicrous to me as an "outsider" how this situation has been allowed to arise. On one hand the FP Club feeds off MFC but on the other doesn't seem to contribute a penny. Many fans, including myself, have been calling for MFC to increase its income and this seems a lot of cash lost. MFC must lose thousands of pounds a year.

I've asked several FP club members why they won't spend their beer money in the Cooper and received a range of odd answers ranging from the quality of the beer (including bottles) to the fact that they resent giving MFC, whom they support, an extra penny. All very odd.

Am I missing something here? Can someone explain?

Am I missing something here? Can someone explain?

Think it's just a case of the FP Club being cheeper and more accessible. Think of the Old Firm games when the Cooper is shut to punters so a dozen folk can have a meal. As I have mentioned in other threads, football is now abou business and the more you pay to the club the better you are looked after.

Having spoken to Alex White who has the lease on the bars within the Stadium, I know he is very pissed at this. A dozen or so people eating meals in the Cooper is money lost to him, and to the club who get a percentage as on a matchday there can be a few hundred punters in the Cooper for a drink.

Fans are aware of this and don't like being messed about. It's all politics, and personaly I think it is scandalous that meals are put on in the Cooper on any matchday. Surely it's more feesible to have them in Centenery?!

As far as the Fir Park Club go, I'd go as far as to say the only reason they are in business is because of the club. Say for talking sake there is 400 'Well fans who are members, paying their £20 or whatever it is annual fee, plus the profits from the drink they buy along with non-members who just go in on matchdays, and the FP Club mucst be making easy £20k a year on the back of the club! I think that is shocking that nothing goes to the club, I'd even go as far to say it was robbery - using another affiliations standing to promote yourself and take potential profits from them.

Having been in the FP Club a few times myself, I think it is run by a bunch of bitter old bar stewards (literally!!) most of which don't even support the club. It suffers from the same down right refusal to change with the times that has already seen many working mans club throughout Lanarkshire fold, and if it wasn't on the doorstep of the Stadium it would be no diffrent. The fall out with Motherwell FC was a long time ago yet they still have a chip on their shoulder and are not doing anything to build bridges. That tactic will come back and bite them hard, as when, not if, we move to the 'Craig, the FP Club will be out on it's arse and will surely shut down within a year of us moving ground. The only possible way I can see for them to survive, is if they build bridges with the club, offer a annual donation or whatever and they might have a future tie in with the club.

I've heard some horror stories with regard to the relationship between the two - and I know I am rabbiting on here, but I'll provide two examples:

1/ With the recent Player Sponsorship Evening at the end of last season, MFC approached FPC to put up some posters in their place and hand out a few flyers. Apparantley they were not so keen, and aked the club for a donation to do this!! Some sort of agreement must have been reached because they ended up there a couple of weeks before the event, but the fact they wern't there much earlier surely supports this. It's absolutely sickening!!

2/ With all the money the FPC is making on the back of MFC, why don't they have a programme advert or even a shirt sponsor with the club?! They are making the majority of their profits from MFC yet won't even send a few hundred quid the clubs way for a player sponsor - and I guarantee they will have been approached! Surely a signed Motherwell top would look pride of place in a so-called "Fir Park" Club.

Sad truth is I have very little time for the Fir Park Club, and I beleive MFC have to address the Cooper situation pre-match to reclaim the custom that has be 'stolen' by the FPC. Have it open to general fans before every game and offer drink promotions, etc through the matchday programme. If they get the punters in, more money will go to the club - and ultimately thats what every 'Well fan should want.

Apologies for the lenght of this - but had to be said!

As a member of the Fir Park club since 1990 i'd like to clear up a few points. 1 it's NOT a Rangers pub but have to say that not many of the Green and White persuasion drink in it. 2 There's always a good band on on a friday night. 3 I've NEVER known any standing for the Queen at the end of the night 4 A picture of the Queen does hang above the stage where's the harm in that. 5 I've RARELY ever seen any bother in it. 6 The drink's cheap 7 There's MOTHERWELL pictures 4 of them in one of the bars 8 One of the lounges is called the Wee Alpha lounge and on matchdays it's FULL of Motherwell fans so why not pay it a visit folks and see for yourselves. Mines is a bottle of Miller. :wacko: .