The Fir Park Social Club

SuperCC

As a member of the Fir Park club since 1990 i'd like to clear up a few points. 1 it's NOT a Rangers pub but have to say that not many of the Green and White persuasion drink in it. 2 There's always a good band on on a friday night. 3 I've NEVER known any standing for the Queen at the end of the night 4 A picture of the Queen does hang above the stage where's the harm in that. 5 I've RARELY ever seen any bother in it. 6 The drink's cheap 7 There's MOTHERWELL pictures 4 of them in one of the bars 8 One of the lounges is called the Wee Alpha lounge and on matchdays it's FULL of Motherwell fans so why not pay it a visit folks and see for yourselves. Mines is a bottle of Miller. :wacko: .

In reply to your points:

1/ Rangers or not, it's less of a 'Well pub than Jack, Joker or Electric!

2/ Paid for by all the 'Well fans membership fees and drinks

3/ Think that was an implied joke

4/ Why have it on the stage?! Makes no sense! Suppose it's pride of place!

5/ Cause its usually empty outwith matchdays and all the old codgers in it know each other.

6/ Yes - but they tend to get majority of custom so rival bars have to hike up their prices. And they can have cheaper drink cause they are a memebers club, and rake it in through membership fees.

7/ Probably all gifts and donations from the club when they were on good terms, or 'Well fans who drink there

8/ Big wow! I had a drink in a bar in Spain called "Ever Well's" but it was a Liverpool bar - and it's always full on matchdays because Motherwell fans go there instead of Cooper, etc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fall out with Motherwell FC was a long time ago yet they still have a chip on their shoulder and are not doing anything to build bridges. That tactic will come back and bite them hard, as when, not if, we move to the 'Craig, the FP Club will be out on it's arse and will surely shut down within a year of us moving ground. The only possible way I can see for them to survive, is if they build bridges with the club, offer a annual donation or whatever and they might have a future tie in with the club.

Very, very true. If press reports are to be believed, pubs & clubs are going through a hard time just now. The FP club does indeed need to wake up to the inevitable fact that when MFC moves to pastures new, custom on match days and hence income will be decimated. There will be a day of reckoning. The only way ahead for it is to talk to MFC nicely. Burying its head in the Jurassic sands will inevitably lead to extinction.

Very, very true. If press reports are to be believed, pubs & clubs are going through a hard time just now. The FP club does indeed need to wake up to the inevitable fact that when MFC moves to pastures new, custom on match days and hence income will be decimated. There will be a day of reckoning. The only way ahead for it is to talk to MFC nicely. Burying its head in the Jurassic sands will inevitably lead to extinction.

I too am a FP club member (in it around half a dozen match days a year) , i think the commitee would be well aware what Motherwell moving would mean but why should it talk nicely to Motherwell , John Boyle willing to shelve plans for a flit if he gets 10% of the bar ? What benefits would there be ? At present those who want to drink in there do , those who dont , dont. It does operate for functions , lunches and as general bar outwith matchdays so not wholly reliant on Motherwell fans

Out of interest does anyone know if Jack Daniels sponsors MFC in any official capacity ?

At one time a helluva lot of the clubs played the National Anthem at the end of the night , some still do , i dont know if the FPC does or not. I do wonder what the Irish father would think though if he was back in the old country and some cuckoo in the nest Jock took offence to their national anthem being played "that sort of thing" indeed.

Well maybe the Fir Park club should make it clear that they don't have any connection with MFC anymore.

I think Jack Daniels is a bit different because although it's well known as a Motherwell fans club, it has nothing to do with the club and there's nothing in the name to suggest so. I thought Daniels do or did, sponsor FPC at one time. I'm sure there are plenty unofficial Motherwell pubs as you would call it but it seems only the Fir Park Club has a link that might make some people think it is connected with Motherwell fc.

What's the point with the prospect of moving to another ground?! Would be a waste of cash that could be used to secure Klimpl long term! :wacko:

Plus from what I've heard through very reliable sources is that we will copy Kilmarnock if/when we move to a new ground and have and ajacent top of the range bar/restaurant/function suite/hotel etc! :wacko:

So while we are all being pacient for that, lets make do with the Electric Bar, Joker, Jacks, Centenary, Cooper and the dirty rangers fir park club!

All good boozers would also include the new century but only the Fir Park Club will have bingo of a saturday night :P

Out of interest does anyone know if Jack Daniels sponsors MFC in any official capacity ?

They have a web directory on 'ficial site...

Click here!

I recall seeing an advert in a programme before Christmas as well...not sure what one. Don't know if they do anything else though, so small sponsorship - but better than nothing.

They also sell 50/50 tickets there during the week - aparantly the tickets sales are up a fair deal thanks to Jack's, Joker and the other bars selling them through the week.

Anytime Falkirk played at Fir Park, we would generally head to the Fir Park Club pre game as it was pretty decent location wise and had the fitba on too.

However last saturday we were told upon entering (and after taking over 50 golden nuggets from the full bus on the door) that they no longer had Setanta. (The Dons-Gers game was on).

Thankfully, a couple of Well fans suggested Jack Daniels, which is where we went and there was no problems at all.

Good craic as always with the Well fans.

In reply to your points:

You are entitled to your opinion, but it just so happens to be that your opinion is wrong. It is a Motherwell pub and always has been. I'd like to know why you think it's "less of a 'Well pub" than the other pubs mentioned.

The Fir Park Club?

Its a rangers pub. On the way home from an away game somewhere our bus dropped us off after the game back at Fir Park only to be greeted by a lovely group of ugly *banned word* outside the FPC who couldnt wait to get a wee gloat and then quite a few punches into a few of us. I think big sean might have been there that day, i cant really mind who i was with.

EDIT: Not that i really care all that much, but i was asked to leave the last time i was in. My mums boyfriend plays guitar in the band in there and at the end of the night i refused to stand and sing god save the queen. Anyone that claims they dont still do that is just blatantly lying.

The Fir Park Club?

Its a rangers pub. On the way home from an away game somewhere our bus dropped us off after the game back at Fir Park only to be greeted by a lovely group of ugly *banned word* outside the FPC who couldnt wait to get a wee gloat and then quite a few punches into a few of us. I think big sean might have been there that day, i cant really mind who i was with.

Are you trying to say, that you got off the bus minding your own business when a group outside the F.P. Club, started gloating about Rangers then threw a few punches for no reason other than you were Motherwell fans? If thats what your trying to tell me, then I dont think I've ever heard so much shite in all my life. All regular drinkers know it's a Motherwell pub.

Thats exactly what i'm saying. They asked something along the lines of "aw how did your mob get on today?" and we replied "got beat, we were at the game. Were you at the rangers game?".

I would say the fact that the majority of well fans even think its a rangers pub speaks volumes. Not that i really give a shit what kind of pub it is as its a complete hole.

It's a good while since I've been in it. These days its only an odd occasion we'll go for a few beers and that'll generally be in Daniels, or the Cooper.

Along with scott_mossend_mfc I had a membership for the place in the mid to late nineties and we were in there pretty much every home game.

Bar the odd exception we were only ever in on Motherwell match days and while it was generally full of 'Well fans and had some cracking 'Well portraits and stuff on the walls it was hardly the most welcoming of places as I recall, especially if you happened to have a non-member in your company say and were looking to sign them in.

What finished us off though was the day we beat Rangers 2-0 on the last day of the season and almost qualified for Europe. We were out for the day after that but one of us had forgotten the membership card. While we were made to feel like outcasts outside refused to be allowed past the door, no signing in, no willingness to check records to confirm membership there was a constant stream in Rangers colours being welcomed in.

Never been back in since.

Anytime Falkirk played at Fir Park, we would generally head to the Fir Park Club pre game as it was pretty decent location wise and had the fitba on too.

However last saturday we were told upon entering (and after taking over 50 golden nuggets from the full bus on the door) that they no longer had Setanta. (The Dons-Gers game was on).

Thankfully, a couple of Well fans suggested Jack Daniels, which is where we went and there was no problems at all.

Good craic as always with the Well fans.

the reason for no sky/setanta is that sky are looking for £1200 a month how much of that money finds its way back to scottish football i can see a lot more pubs/clubs taking this action

I'm a member of the social club as I enjoy going there for a few before the match with the people I sit with in the Cooper and I can safely say that I've never heard of it being a Rangers bar or seen anything to suggest that's the case.

It's great before a match and loaded with Well fans (as you would expect). That's all I'm looking for!

The last time we were at the masters, there was some trouble with our buses (they smashed the windows), as the orange order crowd were leaving the from outside Fir Park for one of their marches, and they left from the fir park club ^_^:lol:

You are entitled to your opinion, but it just so happens to be that your opinion is wrong. It is a Motherwell pub and always has been. I'd like to know why you think it's "less of a 'Well pub" than the other pubs mentioned.

Jacks, Joker, New Century & Electric all support the club in some way, even though they don't have any affiliation with the club.

The Fir Park Club play on an affiliation when there isn't one and refuse to support the club in any way whatsoever, perhaps even going out their way to hamper the club?! Therefore, I think it's very safe to safe to say that it is less of a Well pub in relations to their support for the club.

In reply to your points:

2/ Paid for by all the 'Well fans membership fees and drinks

3/ Think that was an implied joke

4/ Why have it on the stage?! Makes no sense! Suppose it's pride of place!

5/ Cause its usually empty outwith matchdays and all the old codgers in it know each other.

6/ Yes - but they tend to get majority of custom so rival bars have to hike up their prices. And they can have cheaper drink cause they are a memebers club, and rake it in through membership fees.

7/ Probably all gifts and donations from the club when they were on good terms, or 'Well fans who drink there

8/ Big wow! I had a drink in a bar in Spain called "Ever Well's" but it was a Liverpool bar - and it's always full on matchdays because Motherwell fans go there instead of Cooper, etc.

You sound like a massive spacker.

Thats exactly what i'm saying. They asked something along the lines of "aw how did your mob get on today?" and we replied "got beat, we were at the game. Were you at the rangers game?".

I would say the fact that the majority of well fans even think its a rangers pub speaks volumes. Not that i really give a shit what kind of pub it is as its a complete hole.

im not particularly bothered either what other people think it is either but it has Motherwell memorabilia and the majority of regular drinkers are Motherwell fans. As for the bit in bold - do they? news to me.

im not saying anything about your story because it sounds to me like it's either been made up by your imagination, or you have left out/exaggerated what actually happened.

You sound like a massive spacker.

lolz :thumbup:

I am a member of the FPC and have been for over 30 years. I enjoy the company of many other 'Well fans before and after matches and have invited friends who are fans of Hibs,Hearts, Rangers,Celtic, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and other clubs to join me as a guest. Every one of them have commented to me on the hospitality and friendship received in the club and not one has a bad word to say about it. Yes the lager and service in the Cooper are superior and for that reason I have used it pre and post match on many occasions. The FPC "owe" Motherwell FC nothing and I was ashamed at the way they were treated when asked to vacate the main stand premises which they had used and as a consequence financially contributed weekly to the Football Club. Renewing my membership recently cost me 8 quid for myself and my wife, and I am sure the club could do with much more membership income to help them keep their head above water but have resisted the chance to increase annual dues. Just like any other pub or club there are people you would not choose to have in your company but it is still a free country. Pick the pub or club that suits your needs at the time, and lay off people who run a social club which supported MFC from 1966 until they were"asked" to leave.

I am a member of the FPC and have been for over 30 years. I enjoy the company of many other 'Well fans before and after matches and have invited friends who are fans of Hibs,Hearts, Rangers,Celtic, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and other clubs to join me as a guest. Every one of them have commented to me on the hospitality and friendship received in the club and not one has a bad word to say about it. Yes the lager and service in the Cooper are superior and for that reason I have used it pre and post match on many occasions. The FPC "owe" Motherwell FC nothing and I was ashamed at the way they were treated when asked to vacate the main stand premises which they had used and as a consequence financially contributed weekly to the Football Club. Renewing my membership recently cost me 8 quid for myself and my wife, and I am sure the club could do with much more membership income to help them keep their head above water but have resisted the chance to increase annual dues. Just like any other pub or club there are people you would not choose to have in your company but it is still a free country. Pick the pub or club that suits your needs at the time, and lay off people who run a social club which supported MFC from 1966 until they were"asked" to leave.

Excellent post mate, well said.

The last time we were at the masters, there was some trouble with our buses (they smashed the windows), as the orange order crowd were leaving the from outside Fir Park for one of their marches, and they left from the fir park club :mellow::P

And if they'd all met up at JD's instead, would that make it a Rangers bar?