Hearts Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

steelboy

Just back from the game. Excellent effort from all the players and the management team.

How often do we go to Tynecastle missing half a 1st team and still look fairly comfortable. I reckon we should have had a penalty when Jones went down, but would need to see it again.

Top half is EXCELLENT now let us hope we do not go a ruin all the good work next weekend.

Oh by the way - does anyone know what the Aberdeen score was today :help:

The amount of times teams have played each other throughout the history of the SPL

Hearts wins = 21Motherwell wins = 15Draws = 7

And thats for the SPL only

Speaks volumes

OWNED!

:laugh: We put out half a team today and you still couldn't beat us.

That's every bit as good a result as beating Aberdeen and Dundee United, considering the team we put out today. And we perhaps were unlucky not to win. Three visits in a row to that midden and no goals conceded, that's got to be a club record I'd have thought!

Delighted on a number of fronts. Firstly with the result today, especially given the players missing, and also considering it confirmed our place in the Top Six. That in itself is a great achievement, and one that shouldn't be overlooked for a club our size. The likes of Hibs and Aberdeen have much bigger squads and budgets, so to finish above both is superb.

It has to be said that we are on the brink of creating one of Motherwell's best ever seasons in living memory. We've achieved a Top Six place, had our best ever run in Europe, reached the League Cup Semi Final and have the Scottish Cup Semi Final to look forward to. A win next Saturday and we should herald the achievement of this team of ours.

Finally, a huge well done to SMC and the lads, especialy for their efforts over the past couple of weeks. With an injury depleted squad, not to mention others playing through the pain barrier, to achieve the results we have is fantastic. The lads are playing great stuff and are giving everything, hugely proud of them all.

Well done to everyone at the club.

Decent performance and result today. We were unlucky not to take all 3 points towards the end with Suttons chance but a draw was a fair result.

McCall did the right thing in resting the players who were carrying knocks and it was a good opportunity for Carswell and Casagolda to show what hey can do. Was quite impressed with Carswell thought he competed well in midfield and used the ball well. Casagolda was poor, maybe a bit isolated, every time the ball came near him it just bounced off him.

Top marks to Randolph and Hutchinson, who was again excellent at the back. Mon the Well!!!

Couple of negatives to start- casagolda was dire today, got his start and didn't really take the chance. Won't miss him.

Thompson denied us what looked like an absolute stonewaller. The guys a wank and that was a sickener today. He got a few yellows out near the end which was alright but too little too late if you ask me.

The line-up today looked weaker on paper but looked anythin but on the park. Good to see them fightin for the jersey in the most part. Unlucky to not put a few past Kello today but we.ll take a good bit of form in to the semis next Saturday!

Murphy and Sutton looked well up for it when they came on, hope its the same next week. Good time to be a well fan! :D

Casagolda was poor, maybe a bit isolated, every time the ball came near him it just bounced off him.

Does anyone know what Brown was on the day he saw him in a bounce game/trial?

Back to the matter at hand, I can only echo the comments on here regarding our top 6 finish again, many felt it was assured in November, some felt we had no chance in January and even a few weeks ago there were still a few doubters.

Well done to all the squad, management and all backroom staff at the Ark.

Stuart McCall I doff my cap to you and every single one of your players tonight as an unlikelier point we will never get. The fact that we got it comfortably and towards the end there was almost a suspicion we might nick it speaks volumes.

When I saw the team I predicted it would be a long afternoon and Hearts thoroughly dominated possession and territory in the first half but Randy never even got his hands dirty. We had our forays and Saunders shot cracking the post was unlucky and Jones should have done better when he skied high over the bar. But at half time I felt the 2nd half would be a real battle.

And as it started it looked like it was going to be. Our defence (who overall were immense) seemed to be half asleep, the midfield got too deep and the outball was too far forward and it looked we may have got camped in. But they played their way into the half and as it wore on we became the better team. Murphy looked like a player reborn when he came on.

We may have had a penalty but I think Jones really slowed down and ran out of ideas and was waiting for the foul and when the impact came the referee knew he was trying to buy it and therefore had a reason not to give. Think it was worth a shout but from first glance I thought it would have been soft.

Randolph - dealt with what he had too.

The defence - Both lines of four we had did well though they were a bit dozy at the start of the 2nd half. Completely outplayed Elliott and Skacel.

Humphrey - Superb again - he is adding some touches which create him more space. On a big pitch next week he could be the difference.

Jones - did all right but nothing special

Hateley - Best game I've ever seen him have. Good tackling, running and positional awareness. Also really impressed the way you could see him talking young Carswell through the game. Excellent performance today.

Carswell - fitted in really well. One mistake almost cost us towards the end but his positional awareness and reading of the game looked a real asset and was incredibly effective at slowing Hearts down. Well played son.

Forbes - started poorly but grew into the game and 2nd half was as good as I've seen him for a while.

Casagolda - End product was none but this boy worked like hell for the cause. He ploughed a lonely furrow off scraps and he drew Webster and Bouzid here, there and everywhere. Thought in a one up formation we couldn't have asked for much more.

Murphy - confidence is back and some of his on the ball play was tremendous. I think another ten minutes and he would have created us a goal.

Sutton - Casagolda lost the arial battle with Webster. Sutton won it - Forbes's shot off the bar came from him and only really good defending stopped him from nicking it at the end.

Also well done Stuart McCall for getting Carswell to go to the fans. Obviously a new experience for him and he almost wandered off and he deserved his applause.

You can see why Craig Thomson is rated Scotland's best ref though. Not saying he got everything right but he was talking to players all the time, trying to let it flow, pulling it back when he had to and in a rarity there were three yellow cards and they were unquestionably for the three worst fouls in the game. Which whilst its no proof he got the calls right it does show a consistency. Also there was not a single free kick in the first nineteen minutes. In an SPL game that is remarkable.

• Like 2

For those at the game today how did the young lad Carswell perform! Good to see him getting 90 mins, what type of player is he, attacking or defensive midfielder!

He seemed to playing a defensive midfield role, didn't get forward too much. To be honest he fitted in so well I totally forgot it was his debut. Seemed confident on the ball and got stuck in when needed. Well done to him.

is humph ok?

Aye, just a dead leg according to McCall.

Couple of negatives to start- casagolda was dire today, got his start and didn't really take the chance.

To be fair he was doing a tough job. I don't think directly replacing Sutton as the target man for high punts was playing him to his strengths as he doesn't seem to be able to win much in the air. To his credit he worked hard and closed their defence down well on a few occassions. I dunno, he showed the odd we glimpses and being an eternal optimist I tend to cling onto these things although mibbe it's time I let go :cry:

I'd like to see the Jones incident in the box again as from where I was sitting it was screamingly obvious that it was a penalty. At this point I am adamant that it was a penalty. Might change my mind after I see the highlights right enough :whistling::lol:

Oh aye, how confident did Murphy look? His first touch about 15 seconds after coming on the pitch was an amazing wee run, left about 5 Hearts players for deed then got snapped.

Not a regular poster by any means, but that was a great wee run!! Confident & hungry. Think it was Hately also that went for a similar wander earlier in the game.

All credit to Carswell too, not the prettiest of games but a great 90 minutes to get under his belt.

Hateley was fucking amazing today, where did that come from? Good performances all throughout the team, Carswell slotted in really well too.

Great game today, Tynecastle is the best stadium in the SPL by miles.

Hateley was fucking amazing today, where did that come from? Good performances all throughout the team, Carswell slotted in really well too.

Great game today, Tynecastle is the best stadium in the SPL by miles.

Days out at Edinburgh for the fitba are always great. Some of that is down to the stadiums. Probably my two favourite away days. Admittedly, Hearts were crap today but I still thought it was funny when a good number of their fans had the 'Billy Big Time' attitude and walked out with about 3

minutes to go when they weren't even getting beat. Some folks thinking it was going to be a cakewalk when they looked at the away team's lineup methinks :lol:

its always nice to see a youngster make there debut so well done to young carswell who didny look out of place and had a really solid game.has anybody seen him play for the youths its early days i know but i was just wondering how good a pospect he is

Stuart McCall I doff my cap to you and every single one of your players tonight as an unlikelier point we will never get. The fact that we got it comfortably and towards the end there was almost a suspicion we might nick it speaks volumes.

When I saw the team I predicted it would be a long afternoon and Hearts thoroughly dominated possession and territory in the first half but Randy never even got his hands dirty. We had our forays and Saunders shot cracking the post was unlucky and Jones should have done better when he skied high over the bar. But at half time I felt the 2nd half would be a real battle.

And as it started it looked like it was going to be. Our defence (who overall were immense) seemed to be half asleep, the midfield got too deep and the outball was too far forward and it looked we may have got camped in. But they played their way into the half and as it wore on we became the better team. Murphy looked like a player reborn when he came on.

We may have had a penalty but I think Jones really slowed down and ran out of ideas and was waiting for the foul and when the impact came the referee knew he was trying to buy it and therefore had a reason not to give. Think it was worth a shout but from first glance I thought it would have been soft.

Randolph - dealt with what he had too.

The defence - Both lines of four we had did well though they were a bit dozy at the start of the 2nd half. Completely outplayed Elliott and Skacel.

Humphrey - Superb again - he is adding some touches which create him more space. On a big pitch next week he could be the difference.

Jones - did all right but nothing special

Hateley - Best game I've ever seen him have. Good tackling, running and positional awareness. Also really impressed the way you could see him talking young Carswell through the game. Excellent performance today.

Carswell - fitted in really well. One mistake almost cost us towards the end but his positional awareness and reading of the game looked a real asset and was incredibly effective at slowing Hearts down. Well played son.

Forbes - started poorly but grew into the game and 2nd half was as good as I've seen him for a while.

Casagolda - End product was none but this boy worked like hell for the cause. He ploughed a lonely furrow off scraps and he drew Webster and Bouzid here, there and everywhere. Thought in a one up formation we couldn't have asked for much more.

Murphy - confidence is back and some of his on the ball play was tremendous. I think another ten minutes and he would have created us a goal.

Sutton - Casagolda lost the arial battle with Webster. Sutton won it - Forbes's shot off the bar came from him and only really good defending stopped him from nicking it at the end.

Also well done Stuart McCall for getting Carswell to go to the fans. Obviously a new experience for him and he almost wandered off and he deserved his applause.

You can see why Craig Thomson is rated Scotland's best ref though. Not saying he got everything right but he was talking to players all the time, trying to let it flow, pulling it back when he had to and in a rarity there were three yellow cards and they were unquestionably for the three worst fouls in the game. Which whilst its no proof he got the calls right it does show a consistency. Also there was not a single free kick in the first nineteen minutes. In an SPL game that is remarkable.

Still find it hilarious?

Haha, nah well done. We have been pish since the turn of the year. It will be sqeeky bum time for us if we dont get 3 points from Caley which at this rate i wont be surprised if we bottle it. But still confident we can get over the line.

No one else think the Sutton chance at the end was a stonewall penalty? Jones' tumble in the box looked a stick on pen too. We were comfortable, Hearts are shit and we should have won.

I thought it might have been from the stand. Seeing the reaction of the players I doubt it though - not one person asked and not one Hearts player looked worried.