Motherwell Vs St Johnstone

Yoshi-1991

Couple of snippets from Saints website that i thought interesting.

1]The great thing about our form is that Motherwell will completely underestimate us.

2]McCall would be expecting us to be defensive.He has been over-cautious at every Semi he has been in charge.I say go all out attack................ ....

So how many semi finals has over cautious McCall been in charge of? And the great thing about your form being crap is that your opponents will underestimate you. :blink:

Going by what all the players have been saying on the official site, I don't for a second believe we'll remotely underestimate St Johnstone.

I'm buzzin, my kid is buzzin (first semi final, first trip to Hampden for him).

Canny wait to get going. Half nine ferry from Rothesay tomorrow morning and we're off.

The kid has been to two games this season and we scored in the first minute of both and won them both. He kinda thinks that's 'what happens' at the footie now :whistling: I won't break the news to him just yet :download:

Come on ye 'Well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's quite a difficult one for McCall to call on a few levels.

Team selection for one. Ross, Hateley or Saunders at right-back? Craigan or Gunning alongside Hutch? And up front? Jeffers in alongside Sutton or hold something in reserve?

How does he pitch the team-talk too. I'm sure they will be confident but you want to ensure that they are not over-confident.

Do we go all guns blazing or reign ourselves in for the first wee while?

I've no idea who will get that right-back slot but I would imagine it would be Craigan and Hutchy in the centre with Hammell at left-back.

I'd be inclined to go with Lasley, Jenno and Hateley as a three in central midfield with Murph and Humphrey on the wings. The three in the middle will offer that little bit more protection to the defence when required and Murphy, Sutton and Humphrey are all match winners in their own right.

If I was McCall I would have been toying with the idea of having Franny Jeffers in ahead of Tom Hateley if we really wanted to go for it early on and try to replicate the United replay display.

My doubts with that however are that we don't really know how fit Franny Jeffers actually is. How likely is he to complete the full ninety never mind 120 minutes if it goes that far? And having him on from the word go would likely mean we have all our attacking options out there and leaves us limited in like for like replacements of similar quality if those may be required either through injury or tactically.

But nice to have options. Nice to sitting looking forward to a semi final excited as fuck and hopefully there will be much celebrating to done tomorrow and beyond.

Mon the 'Well

Ross has done little wrong at right back but he has played three games. In one he played left back, in another he wasn't tested at all for 70 mins and in another he played a half on each side. Harsh maybe but we should go with hateley or saunders who have both done well all season.

Mo Ross has had a good start to his career at FP so far but I think it would be exceptionally harsh to drop the boys who got us to the final. Hately or Saunders for me due to them having played the previus rounds.

Both are more than capable RB's and offer different threats. Hately ability at dead balls and Saunders threat from set Pieces.

Mo Ross has had a good start to his career at FP so far but I think it would be exceptionally harsh to drop the boys who got us to the final. Hately or Saunders for me due to them having played the previus rounds.

Both are more than capable RB's and offer different threats. Hately ability at dead balls and Saunders threat from set Pieces.

Steady on

It's not really a time for sentiment though, put out the team that's going to do the business on the day

Agreed. I'd go for:

Randolph

Ross - Craigan/Gunning - Hutchinson - Hammell

Humphrey - Lasley - Jennings - Murphy

Sutton - Jeffers

Ross has a decent amount of big game experience and should provide a bit of composure (plus as I hear, he's never lost at Hampden, is that correct?). Not sure whether to go with Craggs or Gunny in there though, don't know enough about St Johnstone's front line to suggest who would be the best option.

Whoever we play though, get right at them from the off and don't let them settle. The whirlwind approach has worked well for us lately and if we can get our noses in front, I think we'll be okay. I'm more worried that if we go a goal down, we won't be able to break them down.

On the 9:30 train from Edinburgh, should be out to Hampden for the pubs opening at 11!

McCall has a few tough calls to make selection wise thats for sure , win and the guy is a hero, lose and im sure some of the guys on here will be pointing out the error of his ways. :whistling:

Win and there'll still be some of the guys on here pointing out the error of his ways.

• Like 1

Steady on

Typing error, that should say semi final. Joys of t'internet on a mobile.

Wouldnt really say sentiment is playing a big part in how i tnought as I mentioned above both Hately and Saunders provide different options. I personally don't think Ross is that much better than either of them. Hes had 1 and a half games at RB, too early to fully judge for me.