Top 6 Fixtures....if We Make It

Pettywulliegrew-2

Still think the only way to do it is publish the list at the start of the season. With Team 1 vs Team 5, Team 4 vs Team 3. These fixtures drawn at random - you could even put the balls in a hat.

Then you know what your fixtures are gonna be based on where you end up at the split.

The teams then know that the orientation of three sets of fixtures that have gone before count for nowt. Once the split comes it's a blank canvas whats gone on up til that point is then history and you know months in advance what the post split fixtures will be for each prospective league position

Absolutely no way I would want Motherwell EVER to lose against Celtic, no matter what the circumstances are. If, and it's a big if we go into the final game of the season and they need to win in order to win the league then I would absolutely love it if we drew with or beat them to deny them again. I don't care if that meant we go into Europe at an earlier round, we're not going to do anything of note in the Europa League so it really doesn't matter where we enter it.

If Celtic need to beat us in order to clinch the title on the final day then I hope they fail to do so and I don't give a fuck about what that means to our 'European tour'. Europe is nothing but a bonus to us, what happens in the SPL is what really matters. And let's not forget, if we win the Scottish Cup then we will be in Europe anyway and I'd much rather qualify for Europe on our own steam than rely on someone else doing it for us.

But lie down and let Celtic tickle our bellies? Away fuck off and throw yourself intae the Clyde!

• Like 2

Absolutely no way I would want Motherwell EVER to lose against Celtic, no matter what the circumstances are. If, and it's a big if we go into the final game of the season and they need to win in order to win the league then I would absolutely love it if we drew with or beat them to deny them again. I don't care if that meant we go into Europe at an earlier round, we're not going to do anything of note in the Europa League so it really doesn't matter where we enter it.

If Celtic need to beat us in order to clinch the title on the final day then I hope they fail to do so and I don't give a fuck about what that means to our 'European tour'. Europe is nothing but a bonus to us, what happens in the SPL is what really matters. And let's not forget, if we win the Scottish Cup then we will be in Europe anyway and I'd much rather qualify for Europe on our own steam than rely on someone else doing it for us.

But lie down and let Celtic tickle our bellies? Away fuck off and throw yourself intae the Clyde!

Hallelluiajaiuajuajuijah Brother! :yahoo:

Lie down to any team ever?

Fuck off and have a word wi yersels

If Celtic need to beat us in order to clinch the title on the final day then I hope they fail to do so and I don't give a fuck about what that means to our 'European tour'. Europe is nothing but a bonus to us, what happens in the SPL is what really matters.

This sort of thing makes me cross. Qualifying for Europe is just a 'bonus'? So what is winning what for us would be a meaningless game?

Going on this season's attendances alone, those three European matches were worth about 5 home SPL gates, quite a bit of money for a club like others. More than a 'bonus'.

It also raises the clubs profile, attracts better players, gives great experience to the young players and lots more benefits.

If let's say no trying to hard in this game gets us this 'bonus' that's exactly what we should do. Not for Rangers, not for Celtic but for Motherwell.

Nobody looks after you, you have to look after yourself. Motherwell should do or not do whatever they need to ensure qualification.

I will happily be a part of a small band of 'Well fans inside Celtic Park singing "we're all going on a Europe tour!" as Gary Hooper rolls in Celtic's 9th of the day.

And I'd be ever happier to be part of a much bigger band of 'Well fans inside Hampden Park singing 'we're all going on a European tour!' after we'd just beaten them in the Scottish Cup Final....and if we did it on the back of stopping them winning the title the previous weekend then I'll go through the rest of my days satisfied that I will die a happy man. :drinks:

But whatever floats yer boat...

if it's a motherwell - celtic final

how would you do feel about that if he scored 9 by us the next week though?

if we do lose and it gets us into europe i won't be disapointed. however i would rather we went and tried to give a good account of ourselves as i think it would stand us in better sted for the final.

in the nfl a few years ago the patriots were attempting to become the first team to win all 16 regular season games. in their final game they played the giants who had already qualified for the post season and were expected to rest players but instead the giants played their starters and played hard and ended up narrowly losing. a month later they played the patriots in the superbowl and pulled off one of the greatest upsets of all time. a lot of the giants players and coaches put their win down to gaining confidence from giving 100% in the match everyone thought they lie down in.

This sort of thing makes me cross. Qualifying for Europe is just a 'bonus'? So what is winning what for us would be a meaningless game?

Going on this season's attendances alone, those three European matches were worth about 5 home SPL gates, quite a bit of money for a club like others. More than a 'bonus'.

It also raises the clubs profile, attracts better players, gives great experience to the young players and lots more benefits.

If let's say no trying to hard in this game gets us this 'bonus' that's exactly what we should do. Not for Rangers, not for Celtic but for Motherwell.

Nobody looks after you, you have to look after yourself. Motherwell should do or not do whatever they need to ensure qualification.

Of course Europe's a bonus, and so would beating Celtic on the final day and denying them the title be a bonus. But to talk of 'lying down' against Celtic at a time when we are still in a position where we could qualify for Europe on our own steam by winning the Scottish Cup? That is ludicrous talk and that certainly makes me cross!

If we are to qualify for Europe then let's do it for ourselves, not relying on Celtic or anyone else doing it for us. We should never, ever lie down to any team in any game no matter what the circumstances. Not that it will matter what we do at Parkhead mind you, if Celtic need to win to win the league then they more than likely will but I'll not be 'cheering them on' as they do it. :angry:

And I'd be ever happier to be part of a much bigger band of 'Well fans inside Hampden Park singing 'we're all going on a European tour!' after we'd just beaten them in the Scottish Cup Final....and if we did it on the back of stopping them winning the title the previous weekend then I'll go through the rest of my days satisfied that I will die a happy man. :drinks:

But whatever floats yer boat...

What's beating them in the Scottish Cup Final got to do with anything? Funnily enough, I'd be ever happier to be a part of that much bigger band of 'Well fans as well. And to be honest, I couldn't give a rat's arse about stopping them winning the title the previous weekend, because it would just mean the other side of the Scum would have won it. I couldn't care less what Old Firm side wins the league, unless it benefits us.

That said, if we made it to the final you'd be on here proclaiming we were about to get slaughtered anyway. :evilgrin:

if it's a motherwell - celtic final

how would you do feel about that if he scored 9 by us the next week though?

I don't genuinely think we'd conceed nine goals, nor try to.

However, if we decided to rest a number of first team players, just like we did at Tyncastle, and purposely didn't fly into tackles and the like for fear of being injured before the final, then I wouldn't be particularly bothered and, in all honesty, it would probably lead to us losing the game which I'd be perfectly happy with.

For me, qualifying for Europe for another year and enjoying the benefits that brings - from the fans getting a trip or two, to the club making more money - beats picking up a completely meaningless point or three at Celtic Park when our league season is already done and dusted. I enjoy stopping one side of the Scum winning the league as much as the next person, but not at the expense of more money and another European spell for Motherwell.

If we beat Celtic, whether it costs them the league, dampens their title party or just puts a boot in at the end of an unlucky run in; they will come looking for blood at Hampden the next weekend IF we get there, it'd rather play a Celtic team who have there guards down and are still recovering from a week of celebrating winning the league.

If we do get to the final I'd be happy for McCall to rest key players the weekend before the final, the way we did last weekend, if Celtic don't win the league this will be their only chance at silverware, they will work on it all week, if they do they might just take their eyes off the cup and celebrate the league title for the start of the week.

I'd love to go to a final in Hampden knowing we are walking away with something, either a place in Europe or the Cup which we came for.

Hopefully the team have their eyes on Saturday though, not this. In many ways I wish they have waited till Saturday 3pm to announce this games.

What's beating them in the Scottish Cup Final got to do with anything?

What's it got to do with anything? If we beat them in the Scottish Cup Final then we will be in Europe regardless of what happens at Parkhead on the 15th and we will have qualified because of what WE had achieved. We'd have won the Cup!

That would give me much satisfaction than qualifying for Europe because we just bent over and took it up the arse at Parkhead.

And aye you're absolutely right, IF we make it to the final then I'll expect us to get beat but I do that most weeks anyway so this game won't be any different.

If we beat Celtic, whether it costs them the league, dampens their title party or just puts a boot in at the end of an unlucky run in; they will come looking for blood at Hampden the next weekend IF we get there, it'd rather play a Celtic team who have there guards down and are still recovering from a week of celebrating winning the league.

Well that's a bit of a double edged sword because IF, and I can't emphasize this word IF enough, if we do reach the Scottish Cup Final and are to play Celtic then they would more than likely beat us regardless of whether they'd beaten us the week before or not, which I'm 99.9% sure they would do if the title was at stake. But anyway, you could easily argue that playing Celtic on the back of them winning the title would see them go into the final on an almighty high with confidence soaring and they would be unlikely to get caught out the way they were at Fir Park in February.

But this is all ifs buts and maybes and HOPEFULLY if Celtic are to win the league they will have done so long before we go to play them on May 15th.

What's it got to do with anything? If we beat them in the Scottish Cup Final then we will be in Europe regardless of what happens at Parkhead on the 15th and we will have qualified because of what WE had achieved. We'd have won the Cup!

That would give me much satisfaction than qualifying for Europe because we just bent over and took it up the arse at Parkhead.

Well aye, I do understand how it works. My point is though, that as far as the last game of the season goes - before the outcome of the Scottish Cup Final - I would happily lose and secure Europe for the following season. It doesn't mean I'd appreciate winning the Scottish Cup any less. Even if Rangers win the league and our only way into Europe will be by winning the Scottish Cup, that will be far from my mind at the Final (if we get there) - for me, it's all about the silverware, getting into Europe is an after thought.

But it's an after thought that gives us something to look forward to and earns the club a few extra quid. That, for me at least, is worth more than winning a game that is meaningless to Motherwell. As I said, I'm not genuinely championing the idea of going out and purposely lying down - for a start, we'd probably get into trouble for it. But I certainly wouldn't be sending out our full strength side out fired up for the win.

Anyway, the very fact we're discussing securing Europe before the end of the season and the possibility of winning the Scottish Cup sums up just how good this season has actually been so far!

Under NO circumstances whatsoever would i bend over and take it up the arse and would expect nothing less of the same of the glorious MFC. Play to win regardless of any cicumstances :nod:

I can't believe for one second that our players would lie down to celtic on the last day of the season, regardless of what it meant going forward.

in fact, on top of that I think our players would be pretty offended that some of our fans think they would behave like that.

• Like 1

I can't believe for one second that our players would lie down to celtic on the last day of the season, regardless of what it meant going forward.

in fact, on top of that I think our players would be pretty offended that some of our fans think they would behave like that.

They wouldn't lie down but they'd be less motivated to win.I'm sure the players will be aware of what needs to be done going into the games and if losing means europe then they won't be too bothered if they lose.

I'm sure the players on the day would be doing their utmost to win the game. But if we're playing a cup final the week after there is no way our first team should be out there.

I'm sure it won't come to it but it would be pretty funny if the league was decided by us trying to get horsed off Celtic to get the cup place for the Europa league and at the same time Killie trying to get gubbed by an even bigger margin by Rangers to get the fourth placed Europa place through the league.

Of course Europe's a bonus, and so would beating Celtic on the final day and denying them the title be a bonus. But to talk of 'lying down' against Celtic at a time when we are still in a position where we could qualify for Europe on our own steam by winning the Scottish Cup? That is ludicrous talk and that certainly makes me cross!

If we are to qualify for Europe then let's do it for ourselves, not relying on Celtic or anyone else doing it for us. We should never, ever lie down to any team in any game no matter what the circumstances. Not that it will matter what we do at Parkhead mind you, if Celtic need to win to win the league then they more than likely will but I'll not be 'cheering them on' as they do it. :angry:

How exactly is this a bonus? What part of beating Celtic so that Rangers win the league is good for Motherwell FC? Seriously explain yourself what part of that scenario is the part that makes a flying fuck of difference to Motherwell FC? Or is the bonus is that it makes YOU feel better? And i don't think for a minute anyone is suggesting Motherwell will lie down against them all they are saying is when the final whistle blows & if Motherwell have lost people will be going home happy that against the odds we have qualified for Europe again.