Since It's Celtic We'll Be Playing In The Final...

David

Can see where you're coming from but I can see a lot of people saying "we're supporting Motherwell, no Scotland".

We don't need to match what they do, we can support our team just like we did yesterday, hunners of claret and amber, loads of noise and getting right behind the team. Rise above them and their hymns chants and songs about religious battles, drown them out with our own stuff. She wore....

our flags will probably be confiscated by the authorities and deemed offensive and dangerous.........

Funny you should say that. I got pulled aside at the turnstile yesterday when taking my flag in.

"Does your flag have a flame retardant sticker" was the first question. Being a simple home made job with a smattering of saltires and 'Well flags sewn together I could only answer no.

Fair enough but I did wonder where things where heading when he then asked me "Have you been drinking". Pointless saying otherwise so I answered yes and was then asked "How many?"

On answering three or four (well it was in that region....roughly) I was then asked to step aside from the turnstile and I presume his superior was called across for his input.

He queried how many flags I had in the bag, took it out and gave it the once over whilst I politely explained that I'd brought it to Hampden on several occasions in the past without any difficulty.

Fortunately common sense prevailed, and I was allowed entry with the flag on the proviso that I kept it away from the populated areas of the ground. I again I politely assured him that I intended to display it in one of the empty sections.

To be fair to the original polis he offered to fold and return the flag to my bag and wished me an enjoyable afternoon.

Ironically enough I made my to the turnstile by which point another polis was standing there and proceeded to ask what I had in my bag....:dash2:

So aye, based on my experience yesterday there's every possibility if you take a flag in it might be queried. Just keep the heid, be polite and don't give them any excuse to deny you or your flag entry.

Anything that distinguishes us from the Old Firm is vital,therefore would be saddened to see any Union Jack flags,even in claret and amber

Methinks that there may be some who will take issue on that last point Alex!!

All I'll say though is that because Celtic fans may fly tricolours or Rangers fans may sport Union flags does not mean they have sole ownership of that flag.

A Union flag with Motherwell written on it or in claret and amber (indeed there was one yesterday which could be seen when I watched the game again) I'd have no problems with.

Methinks that there may be some who will take issue on that last point Alex!!

All I'll say though is that because Celtic fans may fly tricolours or Rangers fans may sport Union flags does not mean they have sole ownership of that flag.

They don't have ownership, but it's disingenuous at best to pretend that they don't have a strong association with them based on their politcal and religous leanings.

A Union flag with Motherwell written on it or in claret and amber (indeed there was one yesterday which could be seen when I watched the game again) I'd have no problems with.

I'm in the camp that finds them cringe worthy and pointless. I don't see the need to wave any national flags at a domestic competition (even the Saltires).

However, I'm certainly not pro-censorship, so I wouldn't want to prevent anyone from displaying whatever they like.

I'd love to see every supporter wearing a Motherwell shirt at the game. Home or away. Any decade. Sadly it won't happen as the truth is a lot of our fans that day could be followers of another team. As loud and as colourful as possible no matter the score as their end will no doubt be very quiet at times.

Totally disagree with the original post.

Supporting Motherwell should be just that, supporting the club. We shouldn't dilute that support by bringing in any other agenda. We start that kind of thing and we lower ourselves to the scums level. Lets be as loud and proud as it's possible to be, but keep it about Motherwell.

• Like 2

If the club shop are going to be stocking Saltire flags either with the Motherwell crest in the centre, or a claret & amber saltire I'll certainly be rocking one at the final.

I may not be as mature as some of our more refined members, but if I can fly the claret & amber whilst adding a Scottish lining to it in the face of the plastic Paddies then I'm going to do it.

In the famous words of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, "fuck the lot of them".

I took my large claret and amber flag with MOTHERWELL FC across the middle to the semi final as I do most big games. I also have a large St Andrews flag. I will be taking the claret and amber flag to the final as that is the colours of my club I support. Yes we are Scottish and yes they are plastic paddies who like to fly the tri colour, so what, they have done it for years and will continue. Lets turn the Hampden terraces claret and amber like we did in 91 and bring the cup home.

Not interested in whether every Celtic fan turns up with a tri-colour and sings boys of the old brigade for 90 mins or not, i want to go and get behind Motherwell with every ounce of energy i have!! We can win this game as Celtic cack it in any game that matters against us!!

I love the idea of us all decked in claret and amber, 20000 of us will be an awsome sight!!

ps, any sign of a union jack from anyone i will personally seek it out, spark it up and use it as a flare!!