Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

If McCall played a full strength team in the last two games and Murphy and Sutton both picked up bad knocks and we were forced to play Casagolda at some point during the cup game, would McCall be being praised for having done the right thing on the run up to the final?

I've always believed you play your best 11 (that aren't carrying knocks). If they got injured, they got injured. It happens. Happened to Colin O'Neil after all. It's part and parcel of the game. Just feel all the chopping changing and disjointedness might have done more harm than good. But, like I said, time will tell.

Totally agree Haggis. Winning and competing full bloodedly are not habits you should deliberately get out of.

Indeed. How often do we hear managers early season that players need competitive games under their belt. I really hope we don't take 30 mins to get up to speed or the game will be over. Celtic have been fighting every game since the split and be flying out the traps on Saturday. We need to be ready for that.

Come next Saturday there will be two managers in the Hampden dug-outs.

One of them displayed an unbelievable will to win as a player, for both club & country. Taking no prisoners and always leading from the front during a career that saw him win league titles and domestic trophies.

He backs every one of his players to the hilt, putting 100% into the job every day, and has instilled a sense of pride in a club that had suffered recently under a former manager who doesn't even compare to the man in the job today.

He's taken his team to the Scottish cup final, and the chance to win some silverwear this season, and will deserve every accolade he gets after doing just that.

Regardless of the result though, he's given his clubs fans hope for the season ahead and managed to create a buzz around the club again.

The manager in the other dug out will be Neil Lennon.

• Like 1

One of them displayed an unbelievable will to win as a player, for both club & country. Taking no prisoners and always leading from the front during a career that saw him win league titles and domestic trophies.

He backs every one of his players to the hilt, putting 100% into the job every day, and has instilled a sense of pride in a club that had suffered recently under a former manager who doesn't even compare to the man in the job today.

He's taken his team to the Scottish cup final, and the chance to win some silverware this season, and will deserve every accolade he gets after doing just that.

Regardless of the result though, he's given his clubs fans hope for the season ahead and managed to create a buzz around the club again.

Great post David so much better than those negative posts by the pessimists like myself . :lol:

He's taken his team to the Scottish cup final, and the chance to win some silverwear this season, and will deserve every accolade he gets after doing just that.

and he'll who will be blaming everyone else for his feck ups

Well, if S.M. has been thinking about players and tactics. Today's match has surely finalized his game plan.

Personally, I would go with Al B's set up with 5 in the middle and try and strangle Shellic's threat going forward. However, IMO we have to play a high line getting into their faces and be prepared to attack them at every opportunity from both wide flanks.

If this keeps their full backs from overlapping, this gives us a chance.

If we lie deep and isolate Sutton with no out ball, we're fooked big time with constant Celtic pressure.

However, S.M. may go 4-4-2?

The defense and in particular central defense has to be mobile and totally focused. This pairing is essential.

Big decisions ahead for the management team.

Best wishes to the team and I hope every supporter plays their part on Saturday.

Motherwell F.C. for the cup. :woop:

I think people are exaggerating the effect of missing one match- we've played 51 games this season IIRC. Match sharpness won't be an issue. If anything it'll be the opposite- tiredness which will take it's toll. IMO McCall has struck a good balance. The majority of players who will start on saturday got minutes under their belt either today or against Killie, and we have came through those matches unscathed- risking injury for todays meaningless match would be ludicrous.

When is gunning going home? Will he be here for the final?

Carswell to get starting position for next week

Funny that, as I was watching the game there these were two players I thought about.

I think we all pretty much know for cast iron definate 9/11 players who will start on Saturday. I am hoping Gunning gets the berth partnering Craigan at CB. Hutchy is good, no doubt I just feel Gunnign is perhaps a bit more mature in his reading of the game, quicker and taller! Hutch had a poor game today to compond these thoughts.

Carswell is very promising and only made 1 or 2 mistakes all game today. Miles better than Ross Forbes (albeit Forbes passing today was sensational - shame about the other 90% of his game!) but I think a spot on the bench for Carswell would be more than enough.

As it stands my team would be:

------------------Randy-----------------------

Saunders-Craigan-Gunning-Hammell

-----------Hately--Lasley--Jenno--------

Humph-----------------------------Murph

-------------------Sutts-----------------------

Subs

Hollis

Hutchy

Carswell

Jones

Jeffers

Naming the bench is actually a tricky job for SM. Deciding who doesn't get a medal - whatever result. Missing out would be Forbes, Page, McHugh which is a bit of a shame but tough titty. Maurice Ross can bolt. Casagolda won't have stopped laughing that he got a game at Celtic Park when he only came over to tile bathroom floors by next Saturday anyway.

McCall has rotated and rested players and for good reason. If we get rolled over early doors people will point the finger but some of the same people would be first to criticise if he kept more or less the same first XI these last few weeks and we put in a tired performance or we had key players missing through injury.

Win or lose in whatever fashion McCall has done a brilliant job, far as I know we got a full squad to choose from and all the squad been getting some game time. So everyone should just look forward to the day and make the most of it as there is never any knowing what sort of performance we'll get. We huge underdogs but we can win it!

I think we all pretty much know for cast iron definate 9/11 players who will start on Saturday. I am hoping Gunning gets the berth partnering Craigan at CB. Hutchy is good, no doubt I just feel Gunning is perhaps a bit more mature in his reading of the game, quicker and taller! Hutch had a poor game today to compond these thoughts.

Whereas I think there's not much between the two and thought Hutchy did ok today. Only worry would be if his knock affects his fitness. As for Gunning, well, he lost Samaras at the second and did he not misjudge a header at Tannadice as well that cost us a goal?

Apart from that I'd go with the rest of your team if we play a 4-5-1. If we go 4-4-2 I'd play Jeffers with Sutton up top, Humphrey and Murphy wide and Hateley at right back although it would put a lot of pressure on Lasley and Jennings to control the midfield.

Hutch and Gunning are same height?

Hutch is older

Gunning has been decent ( and is more versatile from bench) , but has cost us dear at times and doesnt show the same passion for Motherwell, Hutch will run through brick walls for his team mates and always tries to cover for others sometimes making it look like he's at fault, quite a few examples covering for Gunning in recent weeks.

barring injury first picks imho will be

..........Randolph

???? Craigan Hutchinson Hammell

Hately Lasley Jennings ?????

.......Sutton Murphy

Randolph

Saunders,Craigan,Hutch,Hammell

Hateley,Jennings,Lasley

Humph,Murph

Sutton

Subs -

Hollis

Gunning

Jeffers

Carswell

Forbes

Not much between Gunning and Hutch so wouldnt be too unhappy with either, I feel Forbes offers more then Jones from the bench tho, Forbes passing and set pieces could be a real asset if he gets on,whereas Jones`s running around like a headless chicken act would be stifled pretty easily.

Was pretty confident (probably like the players) when we went through at the semi. Now im dreading it ( prob like the players now) and reckon were in for another 5-1 final slaughtering,so much so that ive stuck the £40 i have left in my paddypower account on Celtic next week so Im not quite as depressed as I was walking out of hampden after the last final if they do indeed pump us as expected. McCall has made a rip roaring c**t of the last few weeks, im just praying he can get 1 final big performance out the team.

I think we all pretty much know for cast iron definate 9/11 players who will start on Saturday. I am hoping Gunning gets the berth partnering Craigan at CB. Hutchy is good, no doubt I just feel Gunnign is perhaps a bit more mature in his reading of the game, quicker and taller! Hutch had a poor game today to compond these thoughts.

I kind of agree with this, although I think Hutch is much better playing alongside Craigan as he has the benefit of an experienced pro talking him through the game. Would be happy with either Gunny or Hutch alongside Craigan to be honest.

Same team as Shaka for me, I think. Maybe with Ross at right-back instead of Saunders. Both can be suspect defensively so it's a bit of a toss-up as to who gets the nod. Depends who's showing a bit more this week in training I guess.

I think Sutton up top with Murphy and Humphrey wide is the way to go though.

Right back is the only problem position for me and much of that is down to the form of Hateley in recent months.

Can we afford to go without him in midfield? Probably not.

So either Saunders or Ross need to be able to combat the threat of Commons/Maloney while being able to play in Humphrey.

Now that the league is done and dusted , McCall has a week to instill a belief into the players that this game CAN be won .

Although the post split results have been poor , I don't think they will have any bearing on the final . The occasion itself should be all the motivation the players need to perform .

A lot of our boys have good reason to be at the top of their game . For some , like Craigan , it could be the only appearance they will realistically make in a final at this point of their careers , and for others , like Murphy and Sutton it is a platform to furthering themselves in their careers , wether it be a move to the championship or whatever .

As long as they BELIEVE they are a match for Celtic on the day , and play offensively rather than sit deep and give them too much respect and time on the ball , I honestly think we are more than capable of getting the result that we are all hoping and praying for .

Good backing from the fans will also be key . So even if things are a bit tetchty at the start , everyone in the crowd wearing claret and amber MUST back the boys and be as vocal as possible .

IT CAN BE DONE ! MON THE ' WELL !:yahoo:

Motherwell are a family club with it's own identity,

Serious question , I read this regularly . When did it happen and what does it mean , when i was a kid Fir Park was full of drunk men throwing stuff at each other inside and regularly knocking lumps out each other outside.

Theres folk greetin' their eyes out every single week on here giving it "wont someone please think of the children" over something or another , so where and when does it come from ?