Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

What about

randolph

hateley craigan hutchinson hammell

humphrey lasley jennings murphy

jeffers sutton

that way we have two wingers that are capable of beating full backs and putting decent balls in the box for big john or for franny ? plus if murphy does what he done against st johnstone and cut inside and get a shot away ?

Against weaker teams that line up is fine but we would be exposed and ripped apart in the middle of the park most of the time if we setup from the start like that!

I would go with the 4-4-2 type.

Randolph - Picks himself. No-one on here will disagree

Hately - I feel that he's more solid, and better going forward, and with the free-kicks, offers more than Ross, and doesn't have the Saunder's blood rushes

Hutchinson - Outstanding this season, great in the air, and very bright on the deck.

Craigan - I thought Gunning until I saw him v Rangers. Few very bad mistakes there, along with the pet hate shitting out of challenges.

Hammell - I think he fits in better than Ross, who I can see getting the nod.

Humphrey - Horrifically anonymous when we beat St Johnstone, but I feel that he may be needed if for nowt else, then to occupy Izaguirre.

Lasley - A battler, and thanks to McCall, pushing forward

Jennings - Very rarely gives the ball up, good link up man

Murphy - The reason I nearly picked a 4-3-3. His energy is outstanding. His commitment is indubitable. Look at his comments on twitter if you doubt that. This lad wants to win a cup. For US.

Sutton - I call him the Coo, because of his turning circle. Reasonably lately, however, he has been banging them in, and forby that, has been good in link up. Off the boil recently, needing to step it up.

Jeffers - Hated his signing, but when it comes to running, and sheer refusal to give up the cause, Well fans hate it, and so does Franny, it seems. As such, I hope he harries that pair of muppets from three in the afternoon till we lift the cup.

Edited by Cakes
Merged into existing thread.

itll be interesting to see how mccall sets up the team in the final part of me thinks we should go 4-4-2 and have a real go at them cause there definately dodgy at the back but on the other hand maybe we should stick a extra midfielder in and be more cautious to start with the last thing we want is to lose early goals and be chasing the game like the cis final against rangers

Doesn't matter a a jot who the referee on the day is, we're going to lose regardless.

facepalm.gif Dont you grasp the concept of watching football,Yes we're playing a better team,with a bigger support,with a history of winning trophies and humping teams like us but so what. I was lucky enough to see the last final and know that everyone(with the exception of you) will be looking at their ticket and dreaming of what might be. I'm 47 years old and All i can think about the now is that game and winning,what it will mean for me and my sons,the fans ,the Club and the town. If you can't get yourself up for this despite the odds against us then they're really is no point for you .We're gonna lose ,we're gonna get beat 7-0,its a humping, don't you ever get feckin tired of such depressing negativity on your part, cos i for one do.I'd much rather have my outlook any daycheers.gifYou need to go and stick yer heid in a bucket of sand till this is over,and if we get beat ye can come on and tell us " i told ye so" if it makes ye feel good.

Surprised at the amount of people that feel 4-4-2 is automatically more attacking and "having a go at them", than a 4-5-1. Is it just because it's assumed 2 up top is more attacking because there's an extra striker?

If you want Humphrey to keep Izaguire occupied, there's NO WAY we can play a 4-4-2...that would just mean that we're using a midfielder to occupy a defender...leaving our 3 in midfield (effectively 2, as you're not gonna get a strong midfield performance from Murphy) to try and cope with their 4...which in turn negates any attacking potential from Murphy.

4-5-1 is wayyy more attacking and offensive, and is needed to be able to utilise both Humphrey and Murphy, while at the same time having a midfield trio of Las, Jenno and Hately up against Ki and Brown (most probably).

Surprised at the amount of people that feel 4-4-2 is automatically more attacking and "having a go at them", than a 4-5-1. Is it just because it's assumed 2 up top is more attacking because there's an extra striker?

If you want Humphrey to keep Izaguire occupied, there's NO WAY we can play a 4-4-2...that would just mean that we're using a midfielder to occupy a defender...leaving our 3 in midfield (effectively 2, as you're not gonna get a strong midfield performance from Murphy) to try and cope with their 4...which in turn negates any attacking potential from Murphy.

4-5-1 is wayyy more attacking and offensive, and is needed to be able to utilise both Humphrey and Murphy, while at the same time having a midfield trio of Las, Jenno and Hately up against Ki and Brown (most probably).

Don't think I can agree with that Al. Yes a 4-3-3/4-5-1 'McGhee' CAN be offensive but it is terribly difficult to execute perfectly. Is a 4-4-2 more offensive because of an extra Striker? In a word, yes! I can assure you that John Sutton will look like a lonely soul up front on his own on a big Hampden pitch. Even at the 'beginning' of the final third he will have no-one to link up with and sitting in front of the defense in a 4-5-1 will be Las, Jenno and Hately, hardly the most attacking players. Having Franny to link up with and THEN bring in the wide players would be more attacking as it would offer more options in the box when the ball eventually comes in; Front Post, Centre and the opposite Winger on the back post etc..

I do concede that we perhaps will have to play a 4-5-1, your argument for CH occupying Izaguire is a sound one. However, if we are 1-0 down with 10 to play SM will bring on Franny Jeffers and go 4-4-2, telling it's own story about which is the more attacking formation...

Don't think I can agree with that Al. Yes a 4-3-3/4-5-1 'McGhee' CAN be offensive but it is terribly difficult to execute perfectly. Is a 4-4-2 more offensive because of an extra Striker? In a word, yes! I can assure you that John Sutton will look like a lonely soul up front on his own on a big Hampden pitch. Even at the 'beginning' of the final third he will have no-one to link up with and sitting in front of the defense in a 4-5-1 will be Las, Jenno and Hately, hardly the most attacking players. Having Franny to link up with and THEN bring in the wide players would be more attacking as it would offer more options in the box when the ball eventually comes in; Front Post, Centre and the opposite Winger on the back post etc..

I do concede that we perhaps will have to play a 4-5-1, your argument for CH occupying Izaguire is a sound one. However, if we are 1-0 down with 10 to play SM will bring on Franny Jeffers and go 4-4-2, telling it's own story about which is the more attacking formation...

If you're looking at it like that though, then yeah two up front is more attacking than one, three is more attacking than two. In the context of a match however, there are lots of things that have to be considered, and the flexibility and solidity of a 4-5-1means that, in my opinion obviously, 4-5-1 is more attacking than 4-4-2 while at the same time taking care of the other aspects of the match.

Both Humphrey and Murphy have the pace and the engine to get up and support Sutton when the ball is coming in from the opposite flank, doing the job Jeffers would be doing as a strike partner. Difference for me is that with the 4-5-1 you get the benefits of that, whilst still having the solid trio of Las/Jenno/Hateley in the centre. Even aside from that, "The Big Hampden Pitch" is also a bit of a myth....it's exactly the same size as the pitch at McDiarmid Park.

Again, obviously just my opinion, 4-5-1 is attacking without having to sacrifice anything and being able to take the game to Celtic. Midfield is key, and having the extra man in there is exactly what Celtic struggle to deal with. 4-4-2 and Humphrey can't even thinkk about Izaguire because he's got to match up in midfield. If Izaguire was a left mid and their left back didn't overlap, then we'd get away with 4-4-2 more easily...but it's the fact that one of Celtic's most attacking threat is overlapping their midfield rather than being part of it, we can't take someone out of a 4-man midfield of our own to pin him back because we're leaving ourselves 3 against 4...with one of our 3 being Murphy, who we don't want to be having to sit in.

Against a lower team, i'd agree with you that 4-4-2 would be more attacking...but against Celtic, I believe we can take the game to them much more in a 4-5-1.

Should stuart McCall play his cup final team against Killie so the players actually have a bit of game time come cup final day? There have been so many changes of late the players don't seem to be playing that well as a team.

I would rest the entire team come the last game of the season.

Should stuart McCall play his cup final team against Killie so the players actually have a bit of game time come cup final day? There have been so many changes of late the players don't seem to be playing that well as a team.

I would rest the entire team come the last game of the season.

I think that's what McCall is doing. No need to risk some players in the last game imo

The last three games have thrown up twelve more good reasons why we will not win this Cup. Our defence is utterly atrocious and Celtic have players that have the ability to completely exploit this.

I am actually dreading the 21st May now to be honest because it's going to be an absolutely horrible occasion for us where we could be on the end of an absolute humiliation in a national cup final yet again. Unless of course Celtic have an 'off' day and only beat us by the one goal or on penalties resulting in absolute heartache at Hampden, again.

Don't know why I bothered queing for almost three hours last Monday for a ticket. :dash2:

I am actually dreading the 21st May now to be honest because it's going to be an absolutely horrible occasion for us where we could be on the end of an absolute humiliation in a national cup final yet again.

"Yet again"? We haven't reach enough cup finals for *any* outcome to be described as "yet again".

No we don't reach Cup Finals that often, but the fact is that the last one that we reached, six years ago, ended in utter humiliation and if Celtic are up for it on the 21st then we will be utterly humiliated yet again.

I'm just feeling really down about Motherwell just now following the last two gubbings but I do know why I queued for over three hours last Monday - because I hope that some miracle can occur on the day of the final, even if I don't for one minute think that it will.

I'm just feeling really down about Motherwell just now following the last two gubbings but I do know why I queued for over three hours last Monday - because I hope that some miracle can occur on the day of the final, even if I don't for one minute think that it will.

Hopefully, you'll do the decent thing and sell (or donate) your ticket to a Motherwell fan who wants to go to the game.

• Like 1

for the same reason the rest of us are going

HOPE :thumbup:

Why bother even responding to any of his negative p1ss. He may be right and the odds are he will be, but he wins the most depressing poster of all time award. I do realise there have been one or two positive posts sneaking in recently, but that must be a result of a bang to the heid.

I p1ss myself laughing at the statement - I'm just feeling really down about Motherwell just now - whoa "just now". Try every freeking second of every day.