Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

I think we could sell ours...........................

Easily.

Here's the way I'm looking at it.

Something around 7,000/7,500 there yesterday. You can guarentee everyone one of those will know at least one person who didn't go yesterday but will definitely be at the final. That takes it to about 15,000, and that's being conservative about it.

Then you start to add ex-pats and peoples families and kids who will all be going along too.

It's not long in adding up.

I remember quite a few years ago now Celtic were greeting when the SFA split the tickets 50/50 22,000 for each side and the rest went to the Sponsers etc... I would expect at least 15,000 with the chance of more if needed. I think we will sell out our allocation no problem. Did Ross County not sell 11,000 tiks in 3 days last year, I would imagine we would trounce that. Looking forward to the game just not looking forward to trying to get tickets for it. Any Idea when they become available?

Aye we'll be lumped down the west end of the Stadium

Almost certainly you're right. But why should it be this way. Celtic will have far more buses coming from the west than we will. Logically, the club whose home is the westernmost of the two opponents ie Celtic should take the west end of the stadium. Thats how it was for the semi.

No doubt logic won't come into it though.

In today's Telegraph, Roddy Forsyth mentions that we're asking for 22,000 tickets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/motherwell/8458978/Motherwell-to-honour-class-of-91-at-Cup-final-against-Celtic.html

Motherwell to honour class of '91 at Cup final against Celtic

by Roddy Forsyth 4:16PM BST 18 Apr 2011

Celebration and sadness will mingle for Motherwell fans when they return to Hampden Park for the Scottish Cup final against Celtic on May 21. The date falls three days after the 20th anniversary of the last time Motherwell lifted the trophy and the Cup-winning squad of 1991 will be the club’s guests of honour at the national stadium.

Not all of those who played in claret and amber two decades ago can be present, of course. From the team who beat Dundee United 4-3 in one of the most absorbing and memorable finals in the history of the tournament, Davie Cooper and Phil O’Donnell both died tragically young – Cooper from an embolism and O’Donnell from heart failure after he collapsed on the pitch at Fir Park against Dundee United on Dec 27, 2007.

Also missing from the Motherwell squad of 1991 are Jamie Dolan, another victim of heart disease, who died in 2008, and Paul McGrillen, who was found dead in his home in 2009, apparently having taken his own life. The pride and pathos generated by the exploits and subsequent fortunes of the Fir Park class of ’91 guaranteed that Motherwell would insist on their full allocation of 22,000 tickets – an intention that was resolved before a ball was kicked against St Johnstone in Saturday’s semi-final.

The 2011 final may be the last appearance for any or all of five players who are out of contract at the end of the season, two of whom – Stephen Craigan and John Sutton – scored at the weekend. Craigan’s goal – his first for five years – should have roused St Johnstone from their strange torpor but was, in fact, the direct consequence of a wake-up call for the Motherwell captain from his manager.

“We had set pieces up on the blackboard where he was up in their penalty area because we knew St Johnstone like to bring everybody back,” said Stuart McCall.

“And when we won our first corner kick of the game he was stood there on the halfway line. I don’t know what he was doing – having a daydream maybe – so I screamed at him to get on up and he got his head on the ball and we were off to a great start.”

Perhaps it was because Danny Invincibile was surprised to see Craig come into the Saints box that the Perth forward allowed the Motherwell defender to slip away from him so easily. Even so, he would not have got his free header but for a second basic mistake, this time from Peter Enckelman, who could have jumped for an eminently catchable delivery from Tom Hateley’s corner but instead allowed the ball to drop straight to Craigan, almost below the crossbar.

It was an inexplicable error by the Finnish goalkeeper, who also produced a howler when he played for Cardiff in the 2008 FA Cup final and failed to hold on to a John Utaka cross, an error that let Kanu prod home the only goal of the game. “We all make mistakes and for some reason I seem to make them in the bloody Cup,” said Enckelman.

“I misjudged the first corner kick of the game and after that it was an uphill task. I should have done better, like I said, and I’m not going to make excuses.”

St Johnstone, bemused by the movement of the Motherwell front two of Sutton and Franny Jeffers – another player whose contract ends in June – were ineffectual in preventing Jamie Murphy running behind the pair to deliver the Steelmen’s second strike nine minutes later.

Danny Grainger, Saints’ left-back, was one of a cluster of players who could not get to Murphy before he found the net. “It was a shambolic display by all of us,” said Grainger.

“We let people down, we let ourselves down – there’s no hiding from it. We just didn’t come out of the traps. We knew that Motherwell would tire after an hour but by then it was too late.”

Steven Anderson, the St Johnstone centre back, was another who could not challenge before Murphy inflicted damage. Anderson has now been on the losing side in three Scottish Cup semi-finals and was an unused substitute in two losing Scottish League Cup semi-finals against Rangers and Hibs.

“Saturday’s hurt the most,” Anderson confessed. “We never gave ourselves a chance and they punished us. We were all over the place. I honestly don’t know what went wrong but it happens in football.”

Not only in football, mind you. By the time Motherwell’s third goal went in, a 25-yard left foot spectacular from Sutton, Enckelman was as isolated and anguished as Rory McIlroy had been on the 10th green at Augusta.

In the middle of his box, Enckelman got a glove to the ball, but not what goalkeeping coaches call a “big hand” and it swept over the line and on to the unforgiving replays on Hampden’s big screens. “I was slightly further out looking for maybe the through ball or whatever, and then back-pedalling and trying to make a dive and I just couldn’t get enough on it,” said the keeper.

“It was a good strike. Maybe I should have done better, maybe not.

“I got a quick flash of the third goal but I couldn’t see it fully on the replay on the screen – not that I intended to watch it, I just happened to see it. I’ll watch it maybe on Monday and see what I think.”

Maurice Ross, the much travelled Motherwell midfielder who arrived as a second-half replacement and who is another of those coming to the end of a contract, will view his recording of the game with rather more satisfaction.

“These young boys here at Motherwell now have the chance to play in a Cup Final and it’s exciting for them,” said Ross. “Darren Randolph is a shoo-in to move onto bigger and better things.

‘‘Chris Humphrey and Shaun Hutchinson have been outstanding, like Gavin Gunning, who missed the match and, of course, there is Jamie Murphy.

“Don’t forget Steven Saunders – an international – he wasn’t even in the squad. Four or five, in fact, that Motherwell are, unfortunately, going to struggle to hold on to.”

If the squad of 2011 equal their predecessors’ feat of two decades ago, the chances are that a good few won’t be at the club beyond the summer. It seems that, in the Scottish Cup at least, joy and regret are destined to be bedfellows at Fir Park.

In today's Telegraph, Roddy Forsyth mentions that we're asking for 22,000 tickets.

from that it sounds like were definately getting 22,000 tickets as it was pre determined :yahoo:

or am I reading it wrong

from that it sounds like were definately getting 22,000 tickets as it was pre determined :yahoo:

or am I reading it wrong

Nah just that it was our intention to request 22,000 from my understanding

We'll get negotiated down to 15,000 but if we asked for 15,000 they'd negotiate us down to 10,000 probably.

Go in high to start with

That's them started already, Radio Clyde full of Smelic fans moaning that we should be allowed half the tickets for the final, as we the wee diddy team don't have 20,000+ fans @ FP each week.

Brilliant logic 3 million plastic paddies claim they went to Seville yet they grudge our fans from around the world not just the 'shire to get to a final once every 20 years.

No doubt the Celtic QC will be writing yet another letter off to the SFA.

Hope this goes on for the next 4 weeks..................... can only benefit our players reading and hearing about they don't have the right to be there.

'Mon the 'Well

That's them started already, Radio Clyde full of Smelic fans moaning that we should be allowed half the tickets for the final, as we the wee diddy team don't have 20,000+ fans @ FP each week.

Just ask them "If, by some miracle, Celtic play in the European Cup Final against Barcelona next season you'll accept it is OK to get half the tickets Barca Get?" Naw then shut it.