Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

How pish is Gunning? With the exception of his shot I'd have him down for blame on the first two, caught the wrong side of Commons.

Thought Hateley, Lasley, Hutchinson and Craigan had good games, Sutton living on scraps, Humphrey and Murphy unfortunately just weren't at the races.

Disappointing, but the Semi-Final will live long in the memory. Cheers for that MFC.

Hello,

Just got in and cannot figure out why play a system, never tried before, in a Cup Final?

Steven Hammell is NOT a midfielder, he has played a handful of times there in his whole career, however he is favoured to Tom Hateley in midfield.

The only reason we saw such a baffling display is simple. Stuart McCall could not drop either Craigan or Hammell for the final.

Remember the back four who played against Celtic when we won 2:0, was Craigan playing, hope.

So we go out and play a new system on a Cup Final, seriously, it beggers belief.

We got it badly wrong today and the better team won, however I cannot forgive the changing of a system of play in such a crucial game as today. Shameful and woeful.

The question now has to be can McCall change things before the new season and who will he be left with. As for decisions, this one backfired Stuart, big time.

No doubt I will get shot down for my post, however if I told you we were going to try a new formation IN THE CUP FINAL, you would be asking questions about McCall's tactics too.

I didn't think Celtic were brilliant, I don't remember Randy having loads of saves to make, but they did keep possession quite well and basically thats the key to football, if you don't have the ball you ain't going to win.

When we got the ball Celtic did not need to work hard to win it back, we made it easy for them. How many times did we win a throw in and then give Celtic possession of the ball from the throw in?

We just weren't good enough and while I'm disappointed we really didn't deserve anything different today.

There is always next year...

I was expecting the well to be at Celtics heels closing them down and harassing them from the start. There wasn't much urgency in there play at all and they give Celtic far to much space at times.

Some of the balls given away today were criminal. Its as if they didn't know what to do when in possession of the ball.

I just think the fans and this town deserved better from them players today.

Even though we played shite and Celtic deserved to beat us i still feel hard done by in a strange way. Celtic will forget about this in a few days.

To us it would of meant far more.

Well done to the team for getting there but the hard fact of the matter is you have let yourselves and more importantly the fans down today when it mattered.

My take on it all will probably change later when i get a chance to reflect.

How pish is Gunning? With the exception of his shot I'd have him down for blame on the first two, caught the wrong side of Commons.

Thought Hateley, Lasley, Hutchinson and Craigan had good games, Sutton living on scraps, Humphrey and Murphy unfortunately just weren't at the races.

Got to say I wouldn't have played Gunning, I think he is a bit suspect defensively.

I couldn't believe we didn't use Murphy more, especially in the first half. We played about 2 or 3 balls down the wing in the whole first half. Everything was going down the right and nothing down the left. Perhaps that had something to do with moving Hammell into the middle and playing Gunning there.

I thought Hammell was one of the better performers today and I thought it was a mistake to take him off rather than Gunning which is the change I would have made.

But facts are we just weren't good enough today. You can't blame McCall or any player. As a collective we just weren't good enough to win.

• Like 1

But facts are we just weren't good enough today. You can't blame McCall or any player. As a collective we just weren't good enough to win.

100% bang on the money. We just didn't play well enough today.

A good season though, which shouldn't be forgotten about just because we lost today.

Hello,

Just got in and cannot figure out why play a system, never tried before, in a Cup Final?

Steven Hammell is NOT a midfielder, he has played a handful of times there in his whole career, however he is favoured to Tom Hateley in midfield.

The only reason we saw such a baffling display is simple. Stuart McCall could not drop either Craigan or Hammell for the final.

Remember the back four who played against Celtic when we won 2:0, was Craigan playing, hope.

So we go out and play a new system on a Cup Final, seriously, it beggers belief.

We got it badly wrong today and the better team won, however I cannot forgive the changing of a system of play in such a crucial game as today. Shameful and woeful.

The question now has to be can McCall change things before the new season and who will he be left with. As for decisions, this one backfired Stuart, big time.

No doubt I will get shot down for my post, however if I told you we were going to try a new formation IN THE CUP FINAL, you would be asking questions about McCall's tactics too.

And you will be that well known super coach, dry yir feckin eyes

• Like 1

Hello,

Two words FUCK OFF

• Like 1

God knows how many easy passes went astray today, even an easy pass back after a throw in would be mis controlled, after Las got his yellow he just drifted out the game. I didn't even know Murphy was on the park other than the prematch announcement and when he got subbed. Humphrey wasnt used enough but still at least tried to get down the wings.

Must say Jones and Jeffers would not be worth a contract on those showings subs or not made no impact whatsover.

Jones for a winger always wanted to pass the ball back and inevitably had the ball taken from him even when he did venture forward.However, we gave Celtic far too much respect and so much room especially for that first goal when the player could have waited 10 minutes to shoot before a Motherwell player closed him down.

Craigan did not pass one ball to any Motherwell player in that game that I could see and I am one of his biggest fans.

I was hoping Kirkie paraded the cup prematch would get a strip on as the forward line today was non existent, with just Gunning shot on goal of any note for the whole match.

Deeply disappointed that we never gave Celtic a game and they never look like needing to get out of training level in this game to cope with our non existent game plan.Actually was there a game plan because I did not see anything other than get the ball to Humph and keep our fingers crossed.

And you will be that well known super coach, dry yir feckin eyes

Two words FUCK OFF

Have either of you got any form of constructive breakdown of where it went wrong, or is abusing someone who at least tried to pick out flaws enough?

I could run through five or six mistakes today, as opposed to a blunt fuck off. Even if I disagreed.

• Like 3

Presumably to try and take the opposition by surprise, given that they would have been more than familiar with every other formation we've played this season. No doubt they worked hard on it in training, and it didn't come off when it mattered, but them's the breaks. Hopefully McCall will learn from it, if nothing else.

Disappointing result and performance. But it's still been a good season!!

The goals we conceeded were soft.

First the boy should have been closed down sooner, much like the rangers semi final in the league cup. Tho, it was still a wonder shot.

Second, poor marking cost us and unlucky deflection

Third, the wall was not right, whether that was down to Randolph or the wall not listening, either way there was a huge gap for Mulgrew to hit it, and he did not unsuprisingly.

At one nil, on another day the ball that hit the bar goes in, the referee sends the Celtic boy off for a second bookable offence, and the deflection does not happen.

Our center midfield sat to deep, and to far away to support Sutton, thus Celtic picked up the second ball all day long. The movement up field, especially down our left flank was non existant. It was as if the team had played a game to many, Alot of weary looking players.

We lost, but hopefully if we learn from it, the players can back stronger, assuming some of them hang about.

Can anyone exlplain to me why individuals wore a half celtic, and half motherwell scarf? and then sit in the motherwell end. Does anyone think they could do that in the Celtic end?

I should add that i thought Celtic pressed us high up the park, and we could not cope with that.

• Like 1

Gutted, deflated and drained.

Not totally sure about the tactics but the guys done well to get there so wont harass them too much, always next time eh? Would rather have been there today than watching another two teams fight it out. It was a great day out(games and weather apart) but we are Motherwell not of the bigot brothers.

BE PROUD TO FOLLOW THE WELL!!!

Hello,

Its been one off our most successful seasons ever FACT .CIS semi final .Scottish Cup final and a top six league place.I dont mind constructive criticism but yours was pish

• Like 1

Disappointing result and performance. But it's still been a good season!!

The goals we conceeded were soft.

First the boy should have been closed down sooner, much like the rangers semi final in the league cup. Tho, it was still a wonder shot.

Second, poor marking cost us and unlucky deflection

Third, the wall was not right, whether that was down to Randolph or the wall not listening, either way there was a huge gap for Mulgrew to hit it, and he did not unsuprisingly.

At one nil, on another day the ball that hit the bar goes in, the referee sends the Celtic boy off for a second bookable offence, and the deflection does not happen.

Our center midfield sat to deep, and to far away to support Sutton, thus Celtic picked up the second ball all day long. The movement up field, especially down our left flank was non existant. It was as if the team had played a game to many, Alot of weary looking players.

We lost, but hopefully if we learn from it, the players can back stronger, assuming some of them hang about.

Can anyone exlplain to me why individuals wore a half celtic, and half motherwell scarf? and then sit in the motherwell end. Does anyone think they could do that in the Celtic end?

I should add that i thought Celtic pressed us high up the park, and we could not cope with that.

Good summary and opinions. I agree especially with the central midfield comment.

Myself and my dad were walking back from the tube station and the pair of us said as soon as wee got in, "Thank fuck we never saw a taunting Shellic fan."

We'd have wound up in the docks man..

i live just round from the barras, decided to get a taxi home from central just incase, although some arse was singing neil lennon songs at me while i waited for a taxi, mrs had to calm me down ! !