Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

I left as soon as the second goal went in and make no apology for it as I refuse to highlight and applaud such a poor performance.

Surprised you hung around that long, but imagine you were extremely happy with the result as it gives you more reason to come on here spouting your special brand of misery.

You really need to go back to supporting that big team of yours as your combination of a narrow-mindedness and shortsightedness prevents you from ever seeing the bigger picture. You're like a Bizzaro World Trafficlight.

• Like 2

Maybe it was better where you were sitting but from where I was it was dreadful. I was in the South Stand and you could hear a pin drop for most of the game.

Then why the fuck didn't you get off your arse and sing your heart out

stop blaming everyone else for a shit atmosphere when you were part of it

get a life and get behind your team

Thats just plain wrong. The singing section were terrific but it never went beyond that.

You say bar the 5 or 6 moments celtic sang... I can't name one where we matched that. I'm sorry that was just my experience. I constantly had to turn my head because I couldn't look at them and knew we weren't replying on or off the pitch. They probably did pipe up after they scored, just as we went back into our shells.

Whole reason I was one of the few wanting to create our own anthem during the build. I can see now why that would never have kicked off.

I hate the sound of myself here. I love the motherwell support and wouldn't trade it for anything, particularly that filth. We just ain't the most vocal of fans.

I thought that at the game. But rewatching the game when I got in the majority of that game I felt like we outsang them (up until the 2nd goal) and again at full time. They've just won the cup, yet all you can hear on the BBC is the Well fans giving it for the first few minutes.

Yup spot on SD.

Particularly the effort many have put in during the build up and the fact we have to struggle like fuck to achieve. I am raw, and as such have some minor gripes that i have expressed, but at the end of the day I am philosophical about it as you are. The past 4 years or so supporting the club have been some of my happiest, today was far from an exception

I thought that at the game. But rewatching the game when I got in the majority of that game I felt like we outsang them (up until the 2nd goal) and again at full time. They've just won the cup, yet all you can hear on the BBC is the Well fans giving it for the first few minutes.

There certainly was an amiable amount still singing and waving flags at the end which we can be proud of.

I read this in Tam Cowan's interview he gave to The Scotsman:

Tam Cowan has said goodbye to friends and welcomed a daughter. He counts himself as one of the lucky guys. Lucky, too, to have seen his club achieve glory when some never do. "That's very true," he says, "but I was talking to Willie Pettigrew the other night and I had to admit to being a bit worried for the '91 team. I love that they're abolutely special, but if we were to do it again, might they become prehistoric which I'm afraid is how I've aye seen the '52 guys who were the last to win the cup? If we lose then selfishly that'll be my wee consolation."

I'll take that wee consolation too.

Just back in and absolutely gutted. Really disappointed that we just didn't show up today. It's sad considering the effort that the players put in to get to the final and the effort that so many fans put in to get there and/or put together an impressive display for the game.

On the game, I thought we were well beaten, without Celtic ever having to get out of second gear. We played like we have the past few weeks, like a friendly. I'm not one to be overly critical of the team on any occasion but I thought that was unacceptable.

Aside from the result, the thing that's annoyed me the most has been talking to some 100% arsehole Celtic fans. They spoke about McCall being a shite manager because he "lay down" to Rangers in the 5-0 game and the fact that we always want Rangers to win. I asked about the 3 losses to Celtic prior to today and was told it was because they were so good, not that we lay down. I'm tired of these fucking old firm pricks who think everyone's life revolves around them and that teams play to help one side of the old firm. Fuck off and realise that every team is out there for themselves and nobody else. Everybody hates you, please piss off and let the rest of us get on with some football!

Majstorovic should have been off, no doubt about it. Whether it would have changed the game, who knows?

Rant over.

Just back in and absolutely gutted. Really disappointed that we just didn't show up today. It's sad considering the effort that the players put in to get to the final and the effort that so many fans put in to get there and/or put together an impressive display for the game.

On the game, I thought we were well beaten, without Celtic ever having to get out of second gear. We played like we have the past few weeks, like a friendly. I'm not one to be overly critical of the team on any occasion but I thought that was unacceptable.

Aside from the result, the thing that's annoyed me the most has been talking to some 100% arsehole Celtic fans. They spoke about McCall being a shite manager because he "lay down" to Rangers in the 5-0 game and the fact that we always want Rangers to win. I asked about the 3 losses to Celtic prior to today and was told it was because they were so good, not that we lay down. I'm tired of these fucking old firm pricks who think everyone's life revolves around them and that teams play to help one side of the old firm. Fuck off and realise that every team is out there for themselves and nobody else. Everybody hates you, please piss off and let the rest of us get on with some football!

Majstorovic should have been off, no doubt about it. Whether it would have changed the game, who knows?

Rant over.

loving your rant

Havin seen that dirty Swedish git's tackle and then the deliberate handball, and noticing that the Ref and Linesman had perfectly clear views on each, you can only assume that Mr Murray was desperate to ensure that he wasn't the subject of the Celtic paranoia which has been so evident. Majstorivic (or whatever his name is) could have broken Sutts leg and it was a straight red. Handball on such a deliberate scale is a yellow. Murray, yer a wank.

Well, I'm a little bit disappointed, but I had a brilliant day nonetheless. Got to see my team in the cup final, had the honour of standing behind Joe Wark to watch it (I would stick a picture up, but I haven't uploaded my photos yet).

I think it would be short sighted to consider the whole season in the context of today. We didn't play our best, and we didn't get anything from it, but I think we've had a great season.

As far as today goes, it was a mixture of nae luck, and some below perfect performances. To win today, we would have had to be at better than our usual best, and we weren't.

::Hammell was brilliant, as always, although a bit strange to see him out in the mid.

::Sutton had nothing to do - no one was getting balls through to him. Their midfield looked pretty solid.

::Hutchy played his wee heart out, and I really feel for the boy. He did so well.

::Gunning's shot was epic, but the rest of his game was questionable. Fingers could be pointed for at least one of those goals.

::Humphrey didn't do much today. He didn't seem to want to do what he does best - running down the wing and putting in a cross. He sat out there waiting, and then when he got the ball he went nowhere. Just passed it back in. Disappointing.

::Murphy didn't do much. As you can probably see from my avatar, he's my favourite player, but we didn't see him going anywhere today, nor did he supply Sutton with anything.

::Craigan was quite disappointing today I thought. A few great tackles, but also a few questionable ones. He let too many weak passes go astray as well. As for that hand ball - if Randolph doesn't stay with us next season we should consider putting Craigan in the nets. He was a shade of what he was at the semi.

Can't help thinking - what would have been if Gunning's rocket had been an inch lower?

I'm still proud to be a 'Well fan, and where I was standing, the atmosphere was absolutely ROCKING! Even when we were going down, and even after the final whistle, we were still singing. That shows some spirit, and the fans deserve some credit for that. Its a shame that some people on here are reporting different experiences in other sections. We probably seemed to be outsang, but then there was 30,000 of them....

I'm still unbelievably proud to be part of it. And proud to continue following the mighty 'Well. Can't wait to see how next season goes.

WE ARE THE BOYS OF THE MFC!!!

Havin seen that dirty Swedish git's tackle and then the deliberate handball, and noticing that the Ref and Linesman had perfectly clear views on each, you can only assume that Mr Murray was desperate to ensure that he wasn't the subject of the Celtic paranoia which has been so evident. Majstorivic (or whatever his name is) could have broken Sutts leg and it was a straight red. Handball on such a deliberate scale is a yellow. Murray, yer a wank.

Recorded the game and watched it when i came in, imo if the swede's first was a red then so was lasley's on loovens.the handball should certainly have been a second yellow and we got away with the craigan handball just outside the area.Pretty dire from the ref as expected.

Honestly, the more I think about, the more I want them to just fuck off. You want to join another league? Fine, fuck off. I'm tired of your pish, I'm tired of the 'if you're not us you're one of them deep down' patter, the endless column inches dedicated to how some group of bangers don't like another group of bangers. Head off to England or Ireland or an Atlantic league or whatever, enjoy not winning anything, you're never welcome back when you decide you're fed up not winning.

Well, I'm a little bit disappointed, but I had a brilliant day nonetheless. Got to see my team in the cup final, had the honour of standing behind Joe Wark to watch it (I would stick a picture up, but I haven't uploaded my photos yet).

We saw Joe Wark heading in as well, and did wonder why on earth he was presumably having to pay his own way in to watch Motherwell in a cup final! Guys like him should be no.1 on the VIP list.

We saw Joe Wark heading in as well, and did wonder why on earth he was presumably having to pay his own way in to watch Motherwell in a cup final! Guys like him should be no.1 on the VIP list.

I wondered that as well. Maybe he just wanted to be in amongst it and feel the atmosphere? He didn't really get a minute's peace though....everyone coming up and talking to him. At one point there were three guys standing around him, singing at the top of their voices and pointing at his head. Wee bit over the top and a bit awkward because I think he wanted to avoid drawing attention to himself!

Just got in and cannot figure out why play a system, never tried before, in a Cup Final?

Steven Hammell is NOT a midfielder, he has played a handful of times there in his whole career, however he is favoured to Tom Hateley in midfield.

So we go out and play a new system on a Cup Final, seriously, it beggers belief.

We got it badly wrong today and the better team won, however I cannot forgive the changing of a system of play in such a crucial game as today. Shameful and woeful.

No doubt I will get shot down for my post, however if I told you we were going to try a new formation IN THE CUP FINAL, you would be asking questions about McCall's tactics too.

Spot on mate. Yes, many players played below their best but our team selection and tactics were largely to blame. SM got it wrong, plain and simple. After all the weeks of planning and preparation why play an untried line up? The players themselves looked ill at ease. The central midfield was unbalanced and overly defensive. It also sat too deep and left our defence exposed. I felt sorry for Humphrey and Murphy who received appalling service and for John Sutton who received nothing in the way of ammunition. Given our central midfield shortcomings John Sutton is not suited to playing as a lone striker.

I thought our tactics may have been ok for the first 20 minutes to settle our "rabbits" down a bit and get their eyesight used to the headlights but after that we had to go out and attack. Trying to contain Celtic for 70 minutes or so is no plan for winning a cup final. The team contained some very talented individuals but ultimately lacked the character and leadership of the 91 team.

Time for a well earned summer rest now and hopefully SM will set about reshaping the squad and introducing a better balance.

As far as I'm concerned the final will be remembered for 2 things: bringing in some much needed cash and a tremendous fans display. The onfield performance is instantly forgettable.

Saw Coke and family on the way in, all paying and in with the fans of course. :notworthy:

Where do you start with that. Everyone said before the game to win we need two things to happen – Celtic to be below par and every one of our players to be on top of their game.

I thought Celtic were very poor but unfortunately we never turned up. They were there for the taking but it never happened.

Despite that if it hadn’t been for two inches and a referee who was a shite bag we could have gone in at half time 1-1 and a man up.

Our big attacking players Humphrey and Murphy never got into the game and so Sutton was left with no service.

The conditions were maybe tricky but that is no excuse for the number of passes we misplaced. How often did we gift them possession after our shy.

I thought Hutchison after a nervy start and Craigan were our best performers. I also thought that our tactics gave Celtic too much respect and we should have been in their faces much more.

It is so annoying to lose to those bastards.

Their support is delusional. They sing the praises of a manager who came second in a two horse race and beat us in a cup final when we have a fraction of their budget. Oh I forgot he‘s an Irish Catholic so that makes him great.

How much influence did his continual rants at referees have on our ref today. I suspect the ref was scared to send off Mast whatever his name for the hand ball. He knew if he did it would have caused a furore in the media but if he didn’t it would get a couple of lines and be forgotten about.

Still its been a great season. One that every Well fan can be proud of. Don’t let the bastards grind you down.