Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

Enjoyed the build up, enjoyed bumping into mates I hadn't seen for years and I'm really looking forward to seeing pics and videos of the "Well End" and "The Display"

Even in the family section the atmosphere was colourful and pretty vocal - well done everyone.

I don't think the fans can feel disappointed in their performance.

IMO though,we've blown a great chance.

Celtic were poor and still ran out winning without being really troubled.

In the end multiple permutations might not have made a difference to the outcome of the result, but, I honestly feel, the 5 or so matches prior to the final should have been honing the players and system for yesterday's match.

Not surprised with the 4-5-1 set up, but totally surprised with the player line up.

Yesterday wasn't the day to try a new system.

S.M. may well be reflecting on team selection and set up, but its time to dust down and get ready for a new season.

Well done on a good season and best wishes to any players who decide to move on. It certainly looked like a few played their last match yesterday by their actions at full time.

Looking forward to the MFC roller coaster for next season.

woke up this morning feeling a wee bit fuzzy (thanks to the wine and whisky from last night and I took a moment to think about how I felt about yesterday.

Okay we got beat by the old firm (nothing new there) but I had so much fun during the day (and in the weeks leading up to the game), got the face paint out again (the rain made me look like I had been crying claret tears!), met up with some old pals, had some great banter with well and celtic fans alike, loved the card display (to be honest in the minutes before the display started I didn't think it was going to happen but boy I was wrong), sang my lugs out, waved my flags, jumped up and down, shouted abuse at the ref (nothing new there), felt gutted when the final whistle went off, went back to Fir Park to welcome the team home (they looked gutted but I hope the cheers they got when they stepped off the bus lifted their hearts) and finally got well oiled last night and watched Sea Sick Steve on the tv (how he managed not to fall off I'll never know (boom boom))

So all in all I had a great day yesterday and really enjoyed myself and I prouder than ever to be a fan of Motherwell football club.

COME ON YE WELL!!

• Like 2

Spot on mate. Yes, many players played below their best but our team selection and tactics were largely to blame. SM got it wrong, plain and simple. After all the weeks of planning and preparation why play an untried line up? The players themselves looked ill at ease. The central midfield was unbalanced and overly defensive. It also sat too deep and left our defence exposed. I felt sorry for Humphrey and Murphy who received appalling service and for John Sutton who received nothing in the way of ammunition. Given our central midfield shortcomings John Sutton is not suited to playing as a lone striker.

I thought our tactics may have been ok for the first 20 minutes to settle our "rabbits" down a bit and get their eyesight used to the headlights but after that we had to go out and attack. Trying to contain Celtic for 70 minutes or so is no plan for winning a cup final. The team contained some very talented individuals but ultimately lacked the character and leadership of the 91 team.

Time for a well earned summer rest now and hopefully SM will set about reshaping the squad and introducing a better balance.

As far as I'm concerned the final will be remembered for 2 things: bringing in some much needed cash and a tremendous fans display. The onfield performance is instantly forgettable.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

Spot on Delboy, the build up to the game was superb. We were in the clockwork for a couple before heading up to the ground. Just before we left I looked down at everyone I turned to my future father in law and said something along the lines of "This is magic. A near 11 month season and we're getting to watch the 'Well in the Scottish Cup Final"

I thought waking up this morning I'd be more bitter about losing. But instead I just feel really proud.

Had a similar feeling to you about the fan display just before it happened but it looked absolutely magic. I think that's maybe why I'm not so bitter today. Coming home and seeing that on the TV. After this season which has been all about the bile and bigotry and what folk are getting sent in the post, it was great to see both sets of fans with a display like that.

The fan display was fantastic and the fans themselves in the ground were great. Just a pity our manager fucked our day up. I said all along this "resting" players would bite us and I was right, Murph & Lasley lookd rusty and Craigan & Jennings were the worst players on the pitch! And the less said about the team and Hammy in mid the better.

Havin seen that dirty Swedish git's tackle and then the deliberate handball, and noticing that the Ref and Linesman had perfectly clear views on each, you can only assume that Mr Murray was desperate to ensure that he wasn't the subject of the Celtic paranoia which has been so evident. Majstorivic (or whatever his name is) could have broken Sutts leg and it was a straight red. Handball on such a deliberate scale is a yellow. Murray, yer a wank.

Bollocks, how can you take that moment into consideration and then not mention Lasley's knee-high-studs-up-100mph tackle or Craigan's deliberate hand ball? How can you say that it's part of a conspiracy from Celtic and then come out with this nonsense?

Maybe, just maybe, the whole world isn't out to get you.

Bollocks, how can you take that moment into consideration and then not mention Lasley's knee-high-studs-up-100mph tackle or Craigan's deliberate hand ball? How can you say that it's part of a conspiracy from Celtic and then come out with this nonsense?

Maybe, just maybe, the whole world isn't out to get you.

Ref certainly had TWO opportunities to send off Masturbatorvic and, for whatever reason, chose not to. Lasley, I think, was lucky he caught Loovens with his trailing leg. Had it been his leading leg he would have seen red - and perhaps have broken the boys leg. Ref was unsighted for Craigan's handball so Craigan is VERY lucky not to have been carded for that. Poor show from the ref all round.

Flat as fuck today, total opposite of yesterday. I was buzzing driving through from Glasgow belting out some tunes in the car seeing the banner over the M74, took a wee jaunt round the town before heading down to meet up with the guys. Into the Electric for 2-3 pints then off we went.

Weather complimented the result perfectly, shit wait for the bus to leave on the way back steamy windows, Celtic c***s giving us abuse, but hey what the fuck we would have been exactly the same. Then couldn't get back into the Electic to drown our sorrows full of guys that fucked off early probably, got soaked going back along the road,

Game itself was everything that I didn't want it to be, we didn't compete and get in there faces, they won it at a canter and we are as usual left against the old firm with if's and maybes. Didn't really do ourselves justice at all. They should have had a guy sent off but so should we. don't think that it would have made any difference as Celtic didn't get out of second gear, but if Gunnings rocket had burst the net, what a fucking bounce that would have been and maybe just maybe there heads would have went down, but as I say were left with if's and buts..

Tell you what though apart from the result and weather I had a cracking day, half pished surrounded by 16,000 like minded 'Well fans, cracking display and sing song shouting abuse at Celtic fans, canny fuckin beat it. Made me so greatful and proud that I'm a 'Well fan and don't support anybody else. Especially that pair of manky fuckers.

Onwards and upwards C'mon the fuckin 'Well and you 16,000 beautiful people.

• Like 1

As I said the Ref had an overall shocker. Both could have walked. I haven't seen Lasley's tackle again but caught the other one at half time. The occasion was too big for some of our players but the same could be said for the ref. Embarrasingly bad.

Worse than Lasley's?

Certainly. Both could have seen red and had no complaints. Having already been booked, the player should most certainly have walked for his handball. It was a clear-cut decision and the ref flat-out bottled showing the 2nd yellow.

I usually side with you when it comes to reading about how gash refs are on here after EVERY game but on this occasion I don't think the ref has a leg to stand on. He had a poor game but could surely have used some help from his assistants.

Thought the ref was lenient to both sides but was happy with that.Could easily have sent off Lasley and Craigan for deliberate hand ball and he was the last man. Have to say we were absolutely CRAP for 90 minutes yesterday and sorry folks but we've been for weeks now. Marvellous to see so many Well fans who sang their hearts out. Shame the team didn't show the same spirit. :angry:

Extremely disappointing 90 minutes yesterday, thought we matched them well until the goal but we never looked like we were going to score. McCall got it wrong big time, too much chopping and changing in the last 5 games of the season. We played at Tannadice with a 4-5-1 the other week and it did not work with no support for Sutton. Baffling why he chose to play Hammell in midfield. Humphrey hid for the full game and proved why he'll never make it at a bigger level. Ref was shocking both teams should have had players sent off.

Saw the display on the tv earlier looked absolutely tremendous. Well done to all involved in making it happen. Was a great day out apart from the game just hope we don't need to wait another 20 years to be there again. Mon the Well!

Disappointed, like everyone else- ok we've played more games than anyone else, but we've also rested first team players so no excuse. i was expecting the 'Well to go out and get stuck in like in the CIS semi but we sat back and watched Celtic make pretty passes. No sign of Murphy or Humphrey either. This was meant to be the biggest match for years but the players didn't seem to know. Wouldn't have minded losing if we'd gone down fighting but this wasn't what I saw.. Carry on suffering!!

Totally deflated today. For our first Scottish Cup Final in 20 years, yesterday was so disappointing on so many levels. Never at any time did I feel the fans or the players really believe we could win. Was in the Florida Park pre match, full of Well fans and shouldve been rockin but whenever the songs started up it felt like just the same wee groups joining in. Not trying to tell anyone how their Cup Final experience should have gone but definitely expected more enthusiasm. Was the same in the stadium section B6. Dont know whether it was the weather, the way the game went or whatever, but all I wanted out the day was for both players and supporters to leave with no regrets win lose or draw. Celtic were there for the taking yesterday and we blew it big style on so many levels. Thought the tactics worked to begin with but took too long to change it after they scored. Second half the support could have done more to lift the players as it never looked like they were going to lift us. Fans leaving at 1-0 down with just over 10 mins to go WTF! Thanks to all those who stayed to the final whistle and applaud the players, thats what makes the difference between us and the OF. Ver easy to support a team when it's winning, little bit more difficult when the day has gone so badly! Well done to those that stayed! I hope it doesnt take another 20 years before we get the chance to exorcise the demons of yesterday but I fear it may.

On a positive note now that my rant is over, well done to the lads and lassies involved in the display! The one truly enjoyable nd inspiring thing that happened yesterday! Great effort. Well done!

It’s wonderful to get to a major cup final and as there is usually a very long interval between our appearances then all the more reason to savour them – win or lose. But surely when you get there you have to go out, have a real go and try and win.

Frankly this was a really poor game for a cup final and the weather didn’t help matters.

The referee failed to take account of the conditions with a number of tackles. He failed to apply the laws of the game when not sending Majstorovic off for deliberate hand ball when he’d already been booked and then failed to book Craigan for deliberate hand ball presumably in his mind in some attempt to even things up. Two wrong don’t make a right. This is a further demonstration of the incompetence of the Scottish refereeing fraternity. dry.gif

I’m sorry to have to say but the manager’s team selection and tactics were all wrong and as a result the game was lost before a ball was kicked. When I heard the team line-up my heart sank and I knew we were unlikely to be able to win. We were playing a team with the best defensive record in the SPL this season and he set up with only one man playing up front, clearly focused on containing Celtic rather than trying to beat them. Admittedly man for man they have much better players than us but that’s no excuse for not having a go and trying to win the game. It’s a cup final for any sake. I think it was the 88th minute and we were 0-3 down when we forced our first corner! :doh:

If we are to get back to cup finals and actually win them we have to concentrate on producing synergy which means the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts. This just never happened yesterday and we looked like a team of individuals who had never played together before and they all looked totally ill at ease right from the kick-off – I believe the change in position for some and the manager’s tactics caused this. Once Celtic scored the first goal our players just did not seem to know what to do and this was not helped by the manager waiting until 70 minutes to consider a change. I thought that at half-time we needed to move to a 4-4-2 to have any chance in the game but no he stuck rigidly with his 4-5-1 which allowed the two Celtic centre-backs to play without any pressure on them at all. If we were to beat Celtic we had to get right in their faces with a 4-4-2 and have a real go and then if we’d got beat we would have held our hands up and said we gave it our best but the other lot were better than us.

In all the times I’ve been to Hampden to see the ‘Well this was the first time since we lost to Airdrie in the semi-final replay in 1975 that I’ve had nothing to shout about and I really felt heart sorry for a huge support that had to sit on their hands through 90 minutes of pure purgatory.

Feeling a bit let down with the manner that the team gave up the fight yesterday.I thought that the key area with the formation would have been the performance of Humphrey and Murphy.Murphey just couldnt get going and I cant remember Humphrey causing any threat at all, very dissapointing.I dont think Humphrey has looked fit for a number of weeks now.

We really need to get the defence sorted out for next season....twenty goals lost in a month tells its own story.

Simply not good enough !!