Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

anyone seen the full story Brown slating Lasley? Scottish Cup final 2011: Scott Brown slams Keith Lasley's...22 May 2011 ...Scott Brown's joy at lifting his first trophy as Celtic's captain did not prevent the Scotland midfielder from venting his spleen at what he ...

Scott Brown's joy at lifting his first trophy as Celtic's captain did not prevent the Scotland midfielder from venting his spleen at what he regarded as Motherwell's rough-house tactics. In particular Lasley's tackle.

The boy's a c**t.

One of those guys you wouldnae mind seeing raspberry rippled.

Canny lose with dignity. Canny win with dignity

Scott Brown's joy at lifting his first trophy as Celtic's captain did not prevent the Scotland midfielder from venting his spleen at what he regarded as Motherwell's rough-house tactics. In particular Lasley's tackle.

The boy's a c**t.

One of those guys you wouldnae mind seeing raspberry rippled.

Canny lose with dignity. Canny win with dignity

cheers, using ps3 and not all sites work, so couldnt get full story.

I'll stick by what u said Steve, cant be bothered ranting over that clown

Proud we reached the final. Being second best isn't that bad an achievement for a team like ours. On the day, we didn't deserve anything, we were beaten by a better side as much as it pains me to say it. The referee was terrible but he bottled big decisions both in our favour and against us. One thing that did puzzle me was Hammell playing central midfield. Would the simple solution not to have played him left back and Hateley in midfield, with Saunders at right back? You pick your players round your formation, not your formation round your players.

Proud we reached the final. Being second best isn't that bad an achievement for a team like ours. On the day, we didn't deserve anything, we were beaten by a better side as much as it pains me to say it. The referee was terrible but he bottled big decisions both in our favour and against us. One thing that did puzzle me was Hammell playing central midfield. Would the simple solution not to have played him left back and Hateley in midfield, with Saunders at right back? You pick your players round your formation, not your formation round your players.

Thot putting Hammel man for man on Brown was a bold decision and to a degree it worked, unfortunately it seemed to cause imbalance elsewhere in the team. As for Saunders I can only think he wasnt fully fit or the manager didnt trust him up against Izaguirre. I agree tho, no reason Hately coudnt have done the same job in midfield. Just depressed that we had virtually 6 weeks to come up with our best formation for our biggest game in 20 years and we play something totally untried and untested. I suppose if we'd won we'd be hailing McCalls genius, but we didnt so we're not!

Thot putting Hammel man for man on Brown was a bold decision and to a degree it worked, unfortunately it seemed to cause imbalance elsewhere in the team. As for Saunders I can only think he wasnt fully fit or the manager didnt trust him up against Izaguirre. I agree tho, no reason Hately coudnt have done the same job in midfield. Just depressed that we had virtually 6 weeks to come up with our best formation for our biggest game in 20 years and we play something totally untried and untested. I suppose if we'd won we'd be hailing McCalls genius, but we didnt so we're not!

I suppose we would have been calling him a genius had it worked, but I think he tried too hard to fit Gunning and Hammell into the same team. Players can play in unfamiliar positions to help the team out in emergencies, not in a Cup Final with a full bill of health.

I suppose we would have been calling him a genius had it worked, but I think he tried too hard to fit Gunning and Hammell into the same team. Players can play in unfamiliar positions to help the team out in emergencies, not in a Cup Final with a full bill of health.

Agreed. He had 5 games so sort out his best 11 and we gave him the benefit of the doubt over that period trusting he'd get it alright on the night. If we had the level of performance we got in the CIS semi he'd have been vindicated but we didnt. Now all we are left with is a summer of uncertainty.

Agreed. He had 5 games so sort out his best 11 and we gave him the benefit of the doubt over that period trusting he'd get it alright on the night. If we had the level of performance we got in the CIS semi he'd have been vindicated but we didnt. Now all we are left with is a summer of uncertainty.

Just us and every other club in Scotland then. That wouldn't have changed even if we had won the Cup.

Total come down today.....

A think we started with a line-up that was more than capable of winnin that game yest, but the approach, for a cup final, was awful. Why not just fuckin go for it?! Celtic still controlled the game yest and had far too much time on the ball, why not try take it to them!! :wallbash: Humphrey and Murphy were key to our success, and failed to bother turning up.

All in all though, we have had a tremendous season, pity it ended with such an anti-climax. Players will be refreshed for next season, eager am sure, to emulate what has been achieved the past 10 months.

Still had decent night last night, but been thinking all day of what could have been.....

Sick of folk saying Hammell hasn't played there before! He has done a couple of times this season, notably in the game against Dundee United in the cup quarter at Tannadice. He played a blinder that day and similarly to yesterday it was in a game where the oppostion midfield was going to overrun us. It took a lucky break for united and a beast of a finish from Goodwillie to break us down that day and yesterday was the same. However, that day again I thought it was going forward where we lacked options. Even with Jeffers AND Sutton upfront we looked short on ideas at times, with Murphy and to an extent humphrey looking quiet. It took some great passing play and a set piece to get the goals and yesterday we just didn't have that.

McCall got it right as far as shutting Celtic out- apart from a wonder strike we were still in it with 15 minutes left. Even then it was only a massive deflection that increased their lead. However, when it came to attacking, we had very little, Lasley was nowhere near as attacking as in the semi, Sutton looked isolated, we never used Murphy and Humphrey was a bit off the pace. Gutted, but I didn't expect us to come out flying at celtic. I didn't want us to go gung-ho from the first whistle because we'd be cut open; i think everyone wouldve taken 0-0 at half time. We should've had a go though, in the second half we shoulve pushed up, should've taken the game to them. We had periods of good passing, stretching their midfield and back four and a few balls in and around the box. If things had been just, we would've been up against ten and not eleven and things would've been very different. I think that would have given the players that wee bit of belief they needed. It wasn;t to be i guess but I'm not going to have a go at the players, or the manager just now because it doesn't help anything.

Proud to be a well fan, yesterday was fantastic and they display was a cracking moment. Hope to see some more of yesterdays hoardes at Fir Park in August. :)

There will come a time when we are collectively looking back at Season 2010-2011 and reminiscing on a fantastic season....and that is what it was. Sadly, for that to happen we will be at the crappy end of the league and oot of both domestic Cups probably early doors. Let us hope that is not next season or even for quite a while yet. One final hurdle yesterday and it would likely have been one of the very best in our 125 year history. Just concerned that for many next season is not going to measure up so to speak.

Remember, at least we are seeded in the League Cup next year and Aberdeen urnae. Got to be cause for a smile at the very least.

There will come a time when we are collectively looking back at Season 2010-2011 and reminiscing on a fantastic season....and that is what it was. Sadly, for that to happen we will be at the crappy end of the league and oot of both domestic Cups probably early doors. Let us hope that is not next season or even for quite a while yet. One final hurdle yesterday and it would likely have been one of the very best in our 125 year history. Just concerned that for many next season is not going to measure up so to speak.

Remember, at least we are seeded in the League Cup next year and Aberdeen urnae. Got to be cause for a smile at the very least.

We've been pretty fortunate that since the Malpas year that we've had a nice flow of success, from the 3rd place under McGhee to Nancy, the bonus of the Fair Play euro place and subsequent Europa League run, another top half finish and European place followed by this season's exploits. When you think that larger teams than us have struggled to match level of consistency you do wonder just how long we can keep it up.

The hope would be that at this current crossroads we can continue along the same path and we can enjoy more good times but the longer it does go on, the more accustomed we all become and the level of expectancy continues to grow.

When we do hit dip though I also think it could be difficult for some to handle. After winning the cup in 1991 for example the following season saw some horrible atmospheres watching Motherwell because we didn't build on the Cup win. Maybe that in part was down to the loss of the choir that stood at the fence in the shed but don't really want to see a return to shouting matches in the stands like we had then any time soon.

Sick of folk saying Hammell hasn't played there before! He has done a couple of times this season, notably in the game against Dundee United in the cup quarter at Tannadice. He played a blinder that day and similarly to yesterday it was in a game where the oppostion midfield was going to overrun us.. :)

Hammell played on the left of a midfield four that day. A role which isn't entirely unfamiliar given the attacking nature of which he plays full back, yesterday he was played central midfield, where he has never played for Motherwell.

Reading through some of the posts on this thread and I honestly cannot believe the amount of folk saying that they were 'proud' of that today.

Proud of what exactly??? We were awful today and got exactly what we deserved. Second to every ball, allowed Celtic to cut us open at will and offered nothing up front. 3-0 flattered us if anything.

And off the park we were equally shite as the atmosphere in the Motherwell end was non existant and not even a patch on the 2005 CIS Final or even the two semi finals from this season. Completely outsung by the Celtic support all day long and it felt like a normal run of the mill league game instead of a Cup Final.

I left as soon as the second goal went in and make no apology for it as I refuse to highlight and applaud such a poor performance.

Left as soon as the 2nd goal went in? I just hate people who do that and have the cheek to call themselves supporters.Real supporters support mate to the end!!!!!

Left as soon as the 2nd goal went in? I just hate people who do that and have the cheek to call themselves supporters.Real supporters support mate to the end!!!!!

This.

I was furious when the second went in, but stayed to support my team.

Also infuriating; 16,000 'Well fans' at the cup final. Average season ticket sales of what... 3,500, 4000?

This.

I was furious when the second went in, but stayed to support my team.

Also infuriating; 16,000 'Well fans' at the cup final. Average season ticket sales of what... 3,500, 4000?

Fair number of people who came from far and wide that wouldn't make the usual games. Hopefully the atmosphere in the buildup has encouraged a few of the folk nearby to get to FP as often as they can but I know I'll never make every home game in the season. Work Saturdays and live in Paisley. Usually make 8-10 games a season. Did plump for a season ticket for this coming season though.