Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

Celtic's main strength: the most successful strike force in the league.

Motherwell's strengths: the best keeper in the SPL (Randy); a solid defence (big Shauny, Hammell etc); a winger who can outstrip any defender on a good day (Humphrey); and a pretty decent strike force (Murphy, Sutton)

Considering Celtic's golden boys (Hooper and Stokes) haven't been up to the same level they were at the same season, I think our defense can handle them alright, and if anything gets passed them, Darren Randolph has a pretty good chance of getting his hands to it.

If they can't score goals...they can't win, and we just need to keep an eye out up front for wee sneaky chances!

good point, got a sneaky suspision we may sneak this one too :nod:

Hopefully we do and randolph, sutton, etc. will be heros :notworthy:

I reckon we will have to score 3 goals to win the match, that's in no way a negative remark ,i just feel that even if were playing well Celtic over the 90 mins will still score a couple of goals. I also think we have the firepower to score 3 goals against Celtic. Big Sutton heading the winner deep into injury time will do me fine. :yahoo:

I'd say Celtic's greatest strength just now is their ability to move the ball quickly through midfield. Defensively, they're a bit suspect, but the solid midfield they've built with Ledley, Kayal and Brown allows their more creative players like Commons a bit more space and time, as well as allowing Wilson and Izzaguire to bomb forward. Humphrey and Murphy did a great job at pinning them back in the game at Fir Park. I assume Lennon will be working a way around that, so we've got to be on top of our game.

I'd say Celtic's greatest strength just now is their ability to move the ball quickly through midfield. Defensively, they're a bit suspect, but the solid midfield they've built with Ledley, Kayal and Brown allows their more creative players like Commons a bit more space and time, as well as allowing Wilson and Izzaguire to bomb forward. Humphrey and Murphy did a great job at pinning them back in the game at Fir Park. I assume Lennon will be working a way around that, so we've got to be on top of our game.

I think our greatest weakness at Hampden last weekend (even though we won spectacularly) was that St Johnstone were getting through to the final third every time they got the ball, and if it wasn't for our defense in that part of the park, the scoreline might have been different. For the final, I would be looking for more from the midfield - shutting down the likes of those you just mentioned in the centre of the park so they don't have that opportunity to make chances and get the ball forward to create problems for our defense. Commons is a danger which I hadn't considered :mellow:

Think that last night anyone could have got two or three agains that Kilmarnock defence. Shocking and the worst defending I've seen from any team all season.

I think our greatest weakness at Hampden last weekend (even though we won spectacularly) was that St Johnstone were getting through to the final third every time they got the ball, and if it wasn't for our defense in that part of the park, the scoreline might have been different. For the final, I would be looking for more from the midfield - shutting down the likes of those you just mentioned in the centre of the park so they don't have that opportunity to make chances and get the ball forward to create problems for our defense. Commons is a danger which I hadn't considered :mellow:

think the midfield were trying not to make any rash challenges that would put them out the final with daft bookings etc. Scottish refs being pish and all that. Also Lasley was carrying an injury that have might have played into it. The three goal cushion would have played it's part too. I'd fully expect more in the way of blood, snot and thunder from the mudfield come the final.

think the midfield were trying not to make any rash challenges that would put them out the final with daft bookings etc. Scottish refs being pish and all that. Also Lasley was carrying an injury that have might have played into it. The three goal cushion would have played it's part too. I'd fully expect more in the way of blood, snot and thunder from the mudfield come the final.

Yeah - yellow cards for every team member! Who cares, get stuck right intae them without worrying about suspensions. As long as no red cards come out (for us at least) then its sound. Been a lot of red carding happening in Scotland recently (most of it at Tannadice the other night I might add) so we still need to be a bit cautious. Three yellow cards (for Hutchy, Craigan and Lasley) would be a small price to pay for an injury to either one or all three of Commons, Hooper and Stokes!

Let's be realistic here, we're not going to win the Cup because we will not be able to get the better of Celtic at Hampden with a trophy at stake, not a prayer. We just do not have the ability or it could be argued the bottle to go to Glasgow and beat Celtic in this type of game. That's not a dig at Motherwell and our team it's just that Celtic are a very good side who on their day can rip teams apart and have more 'big name' players so will be that bit more streetwise than us when it comes to the final.

We will either be absolutely humiliated by being thrashed by three, four, five, six or seven goals if Celtic hit the ground running and really fancy it, or we will be heartbroken like we were the last time we played them at Hampden, ie. they'll have an off day but we just won't be able to take advantage of it and we'll either lose by a last minute goal or on penalties.

In fact, I have a nagging feeling that they will do a reverse of 'Skippy Sunday' on the day before the sixth anniversary of said event, where we'll be leading them going into the dying minutes and they'll score two quickfire goals to leave us in the depths of despair.

I have no way of knowing how this game will go but I am 99.9% certain that however it goes we will not win it.

So enjoy these next few weeks and all the build up because the final will not be an enjoyable day for us.

have some belief for fuck sake :wallbash::blink:

I have absolutely no belief that we will win this game and see no reason why we should believe we should win this game either. :mellow:

I do however have hope that we can spring one of the shocks of the competitions history but it's a very faint hope and the chances of us beating Celtic at Hampden are slim to non-existant I'm afraid. I'll still be at Hampden none the less because Cup Finals do not come around too often for Motherwell FC so we've got to savour this and just hope against hope that some miracle can occur.

I'd rather believe we can do it. I'll enjoy the game more that way. Also, I know that we can - not saying it will be easy, but I would never write of the 'Well that easily. As I've said before, we're not playing Barcelona or Real Madrid, its Celtic. There seems to be this preconception that the Old Firm are unbeatable, but they're not, as has been shown on various occasions.

It will be difficult, since Celtic will be considering the last time we beat them, and they won't want that to happen again, particularly when there's silverware attached, but there's just as much at stake for Motherwell, so I believe wholeheartedly that we can pull it out the bag, and get a lucky win. Our boys have it in them for sure.

MJC is only saying something that a lot of Well fans feel deep down ,its a big ask to beat an old firm team in a final ,they have the most cash so have the best players, they also have the media ,refs ,footie big wigs etc on there side ,in fact the whole game in Scotland is geared for old firm success. But it can and has been done ,as a wise man once said...the fastest don't always win the race and the most powerful don't always win the fight because time and unforeseen circumstances befall the great as well as the small.....

• Like 2

i dont think there will be many well fans that are 99.9% sure we will lose to be honest. I think its a pretty ridiculous statement, maybe if we were playing barcelona i would agree with that but its celtic, a team we have already beaten this season, in a one off game which the players know means so much to the club and the fans.

MJC is only saying something that a lot of Well fans feel deep down

MJC is only saying what he says on here before every single game. If he believed half of what he posted he would never set foot inside Fir Park.

Are we favourites? Of course not.

Can we beat Celtic? We did the last time.

Well the hard work is done in getting to the final.

It's a one-off game where anything can happen. The fact that we beat, no, HUMPED Celtic at Fir Park will give the players confidence that they can beat them again.

And Celtic will have to shoot towards about 20,000 Fans in C&A going mental!

MJC, normal service has resumed.

Hope you've been careful in the sun. Mind cover up, the sun can burn you. And the midges will be out...

My glass is half full! :drinks:

COYW

Let's be realistic here, we're not going to win the Cup because we will not be able to get the better of Celtic at Hampden with a trophy at stake, not a prayer. We just do not have the ability or it could be argued the bottle to go to Glasgow and beat Celtic in this type of game. That's not a dig at Motherwell and our team it's just that Celtic are a very good side who on their day can rip teams apart and have more 'big name' players so will be that bit more streetwise than us when it comes to the final.

We will either be absolutely humiliated by being thrashed by three, four, five, six or seven goals if Celtic hit the ground running and really fancy it, or we will be heartbroken like we were the last time we played them at Hampden, ie. they'll have an off day but we just won't be able to take advantage of it and we'll either lose by a last minute goal or on penalties.

In fact, I have a nagging feeling that they will do a reverse of 'Skippy Sunday' on the day before the sixth anniversary of said event, where we'll be leading them going into the dying minutes and they'll score two quickfire goals to leave us in the depths of despair.

I have no way of knowing how this game will go but I am 99.9% certain that however it goes we will not win it.

So enjoy these next few weeks and all the build up because the final will not be an enjoyable day for us.

Presumably then as we have no chance you will not be buying a ticket and going to the game, so why dont we all just not bother turning up and give the cup to Celtic. What a fud you are :doh:

We have already beaten them this season, and on our day we are a match for anyone, we will have to be at our best, but if the players cant get themselves fired up for a cup final, then its a sad day. Motherwell are always underdogs, thats why it is all the better when we win. So lets live the dream again, its been 20 years, we are due another trophy. MON THE WELL :yahoo:

Why is everyone using this 'we've already beaten them already this season' line? Okay I know it's a statement of fact but it matters not a jot in regards to the Scottish Cup Final. That win in February was a fluke, yes a FLUKE. Celtic rolled into Fir Park that day thinking they'd stroll having just thumped Rangers the week before and playing against a side who'd meekly bent over against St.Mirren the previous midweek. They won't make the mistake of underestimating Motherwell again, when was the last time we beat Celtic twice in the one season?

If anything, the fact that we've already beaten them this season will count against us in the final.

Mark my words, Celtic will be more than up for this final as they are absolutely desperate to clinch the double 'for Neil Lennon' given all the off field shite that's been going on AND I believe that they will feel that they still owe us one for 2005 and Skippy Sunday. This Cup Final will be their revenge on us for that day, trust me.

I will be at the final because Motherwell are my club and win or lose, this will be a special day for the club and reaching the Scottish Cup Final is a big achievement for us. But I am under no illusions as to what our part on the day will be - to merely make up the numbers as runners up.

Why is everyone using this 'we've already beaten them already this season' line? Okay I know it's a statement of fact but it matters not a jot in regards to the Scottish Cup Final. That win in February was a fluke, yes a FLUKE. Celtic rolled into Fir Park that day thinking they'd stroll having just thumped Rangers the week before and playing against a side who'd meekly bent over against St.Mirren the previous midweek. They won't make the mistake of underestimating Motherwell again, when was the last time we beat Celtic twice in the one season?

If anything, the fact that we've already beaten them this season will count against us in the final.

Mark my words, Celtic will be more than up for this final as they are absolutely desperate to clinch the double 'for Neil Lennon' given all the off field shite that's been going on AND I believe that they will feel that they still owe us one for 2005 and Skippy Sunday. This Cup Final will be their revenge on us for that day, trust me.

I will be at the final because Motherwell are my club and win or lose, this will be a special day for the club and reaching the Scottish Cup Final is a big achievement for us. But I am under no illusions as to what our part on the day will be - to merely make up the numbers as runners up.

keep it up. you've been wrong all the way so far.

there's no way it's going to be revenge for skippy sunday either. who will be on the park that was a mhank back in may 05? maloney and mulgrew is about all i can think of. i doubt ki, kayal, commons and roberto carlos will know about it or give a fuck. if they bring it up they should be reminded that their captain, the lego eater, spent that glorious may afternoon lieing down to rangers. :laugh:

keep it up. you've been wrong all the way so far.

there's no way it's going to be revenge for skippy sunday either. who will be on the park that was a mhank back in may 05?

Maybe not on the park but there will be someone in the dugout, or else the stand should he throw another touchline temper tantrum between now and then who was a mhank back in may 05 and is still very much haunted by that day - Neil Lennon. I've read his autobiography and he states quite clearly that he was bitterly hurt by the events of that day and it stuck in his mind how the Motherwell fans celebrated 'as if their team had just won the Champions League' to quote the yellow toothed ghoul himself.