Financial Benefits To The Club

Kmcalpin

Does anyone know the financial benefits to the club of a top 6 finish, a CIS Cup semi place and a Cup Final place? I would have thought something in the order of:

Top 6 Finish: £ 350,000

CIS Cup Semi: £250,000

Scottish Cup Final: £600,000

In total that would add up to £1.2m but doesn't include things like hospitality or merchandising. The whole club will be buzzing for the next month or so and that can only be a good thing.

I remember in 2005 we got more for being runners-up in the diddy cup than the winners of the scottish cup earned.

Think it's due to the sponsorship being split between fewer clubs, BUT it's still a nice amount of income for the club.

Also raises our profile, therefore easier to sell the club to potential signing before the start of next season

6th place is worth £75,000 more than 7th.

i think in our two six games we'll likely get 7-8000 more patg punters than in the bottom six which is worth around £120,000 after vat.

the gate for the final should be worth around £4-500,000 to us after vat. i don't know if there is any tv money for the final.

the gate for this weekend will be worth about £130,000 after vat.

i remember thinking the cis semi was worth around £180,000.

if you consider that we've made around a quarter of a million from sky in the course of the cup run and we had 22,000 patg punters during the europa run then it has been quite a lucrative season.

Plus tv money for the visit of rangers and the parkhead game may be on as well.

Hopefully, the 20,000 thousand who will go to the final will also come to FP for a couple of SPL games next season to.

that's not how the spl tv money is divided. it's dependent on league position, not how many times you're on the telly

6th place is worth £75,000 more than 7th.

i think in our two six games we'll likely get 7-8000 more patg punters than in the bottom six which is worth around £120,000 after vat.

the gate for the final should be worth around £4-500,000 to us after vat. i don't know if there is any tv money for the final.

the gate for this weekend will be worth about £130,000 after vat.

i remember thinking the cis semi was worth around £180,000.

if you consider that we've made around a quarter of a million from sky in the course of the cup run and we had 22,000 patg punters during the europa run then it has been quite a lucrative season.

+ reynolds sold

Should be a big merchandising boost in the coming weeks as well. Folk will be in the 'Well shop in their hundreds buying strips, t-shirts etc for wearing at the final

Absolutely. Perfect time too to start marketing season tickets for next year. Strike while the iron is hot.

that's not how the spl tv money is divided. it's dependent on league position, not how many times you're on the telly

4% split to each team, regardless of league position. 13% and 11% respectively to #1 and #2 on top of that making the following list for total % of revenues: I am pretty sure there used to be a fixed cash sum also to the home team for staging a televised game. 60k or so springs to mind. Not a lot when you consider that playing either of the OF on a televised match cuts around 2k from our normal gate without TV there against them.

1   	4.0% 	13.0%   17.0% 
2   	4.0% 	11.0%   15.0% 
3   	4.0%    5.5% 	9.5% 
4   	4.0%    4.5% 	8.5% 
5   	4.0%    4.0% 	8.0% 
6   	4.0%    3.5% 	7.5% 
7   	4.0%    3.0% 	7.0% 
8   	4.0%    2.5% 	6.5% 
9   	4.0%    2.0% 	6.0% 
10 	4.0%    1.5% 	5.5% 
11 	4.0%    1.0% 	5.0% 
12 	4.0%    0.5% 	4.5% 
Tot    48.0%  52.0%    100.0%

http://www.scotprem....BCURRENT%5D.pdf - page 31 in the document.

I think those figures are for the just spl payments not including tv cash

With the saints game last week they were commenting in the papers that the lower crowd wouldn't bother their chairman as he was getting X number of pounds from espn.

Talking about tv , I wonder how much extra we get with both sky and the bbc showing our semi instead of just one channel

League Cup is much more lucrative than Scottish Cup in terms of prize money anyway.

Maybe not this year since it is corporate sponsored (Carling) rather than last year's scottish government sponsorship (homecoming scottish cup)

I would think Carling would have paid a bit more for sponsorship than the scot gov.

did we not also get some extra income from some European games at the start of the season?

how quickly we forget ;)

Very true, and all at Fir Park this time so no extra cash having to go out to pay for using another stadium. We must be doing well financial this season, even if you were to take into account maintenance of the pitch and stands and also that we probably didn't get as big a sum for shirt sponsorship as we normally would seeing as how last minute the deal was.

All the better to keeping Sutton and maybe even Jennings too, wouldn't you think? :)

Does Willie Haughey not still have the sponsorship right this season?

He had them last year and gave them up to the government to put the 'homecoming' name to it.

Pretty sure he had the same set up this season.

on the sfa website Here, the only mentions of scottish cup are the broadcasters (bbc & sky) and Carling. I would have thought if anyone else had the sponsorship rights, they would be listed here?

An interview with Leeann in the Herald today indicating how much we expect to make from our cup run:

Motherwell making plans for next season having hit the jackpot during this one

RICHARD WILSON

19 Apr 2011

There is acclaim for reaching the Scottish Cup final, and the prospect of the glory that might be attained on the day itself at Hampden next month.

But the achievement means more to Motherwell than the distinctions that gather around their meeting with Celtic in the finale to the season, not when the income allows the club some stability for the coming seasons.

To Leeann Dempster, the Motherwell chief executive, sitting in the stand as the team overcame St Johnstone 3-0 and John Boyle, the owner, agitated with barely-contained glee in his seat, the sense was of the financial stability that a Scottish Cup final appearance will suddenly enable. Seven of the current players are out of contract in the summer, and negotiations will now restart with purpose this week to renew some of the deals, but the windfall also allows breathing space.

“It makes an enormous difference financially,” Dempster says. “The semi-final was probably worth in the region of £200,000 to £300,000. The final is in the region of £500,000, depending on the gate. We already have an idea of what the TV pot will be. That kind of money is hugely significant because we go into the start of the season, like many clubs, with a [financial] gap and working out how we’re going to close it. It allows us a bit more certainty as to the budgets next year, which allows Stuart [McCall] to act sooner rather than later. But we’re realistic. We’re moving into a very exciting period for the club, with our membership and community ownership, but we also need to make sure that we’ve got some funds available in case we don’t have as good a season as we’ve had this year.”

Stephen Craigan, Steve Jennings, John Sutton and Lee Hollis are out of contract in the summer, while Francis Jeffers, Steve Jones and Maurice Ross were only signed on short-term deals. McCall would surely like to retain Craigan, Jennings and Sutton, but talks were put on hold while the team pursued a top-six finish and prepared for the semi-final (their second this season after losing to Rangers in the Co-operative Insurance Cup).

“Discussions had already started to a degree with the players, but we didn’t want to distract the boys with contract discussions,” Dempster says. “Stuart already knew what he wanted to do with the players and getting to the final helps us to try to achieve that.”

Boyle intends to stand down as chairman and pass on his controlling interest in the club, and reaching the cup final coincides with a number of significant events. Three days before the final, Motherwell celebrate their 125th birthday, while this season is the 20th anniversary of the last time they won the cup.

“I said to Mr Boyle, ‘maybe the stars are lining up for your exit’,” Dempster says. “I really hope so.”

Maybe not this year since it is corporate sponsored (Carling) rather than last year's scottish government sponsorship (homecoming scottish cup)

I would think Carling would have paid a bit more for sponsorship than the scot gov.

You might be right about this year I don't know - anyway here's a comparison of them lifted from P&B from the 08-09 season. Makes interesting reading.

Scottish Cup

1: £2000 (R1)

2: £4000 (R2) or £6000 (R1)

3. £6000 (R3), £10,000 (R2) or £12,000 (R1)

4. £8000 (R4), £14,000 (R3), £18,000 (R2) or £20,000 (R1)

5. £18,000 (R4), £26,000 (R3), £28,000 (R2) or £30,000 (R1)

QF. £30,000 (R4), £38,000 (R3), £40,000 (R2) or £42,000 (R1)

SF: £45,000 (R4), £53,000 (R3), £55,000 (R2) or £57,000 (R1)

Winners: £105,000 (R4), £113,000 (R3), £115,000 (R2), £117,000 (R1)

or £30,000

Runners Up: £75,000 (R4), £83,000 (R3), £85,000 (R2), £87,000 (R1)

League Cup

First round losers: £10,500

Second round losers: £14,750

Third Round losers: £24,500

Quarter-Final losers: £38,000

Semi-Final losers: £47,500

Runner up: £82,000

Winner: £110,000