Willie Collum

DEWELL

I've just read on the fishal website that trumpet is our ref for saturday. SURELY someone at the SFA has the brains to hunt this clown and never let him near an SPL game after last nights shocking display at Tannadice. He's a dreadfull ref and an accident waiting to happen. :wallbash:

Agree the law needs to be changed as it doesn't differentiate between a 'professional foul' and an honest attempt at a tackle. The straight red, I thought, was supposed to punish the former, but the refs don't have any discretion when it comes to the latter.

at the end of the day though it's the fault of the defenders for making the challenges. last night kovacevic had to try and make a challenge and had to go but the hell were dillon and gomis doing, they've no to blame but themselves.

games would be better if they weren't constantly being broken up by fouls.

Strangely we've not had Willie Collum in a league match all season until now. He did ref the League Cup Quarter and Semi finals though against Dundee Utd and Rangers.

Here's our Ref Record! (wins this season)

McLean (4) out of 4! Cup final ref please!

Tumilty (3)

Brines (3)

Allan (2)

Muir (1)

Norris (1)

O'Reilly (1)

Collum (1)

Conroy (1)

Richmond (1)

Murray (1)

Thomson (0)

McDonald (0)

Finnie (0)

Conroy (0)

Does anyone know if any penalty points picked up by players in the league run in can effect their availability in the Cup Final?

Although we won with McLean four out of four he is a fanny as was typified at the Aberdeen game. I think given that by appointments they clearly rate Thomson, Brines, Collum and Murray as the best four the cup final will belong to Murray or Thomson. And I suspect as Thomson had the League Cup and is getting the big last league game it could be Murray for us. Which apart from the mental penalty he gave against us in Perth I'm fairly content with as he usually is pretty good. But I could be wrong!

As for Collum. I thought he got everyone spot on last night by the rules of the game. Maybe the law is an ass but you can't criticise the referee for enforcing them. He isn't always card happy. He went through our league cup semi without brandishing a single yellow. He plays it by the book but he seldom gets them wrong by it.

I think referees get an increasingly hard time of it.Granted the do not make life easy for themself with some of the dougie-gate scandle that has gone on but as far as on the park decisions go i feel they get a raw deal.

People are quick to have a go at a ref for 'getting it wrong' but let's be honest - how many times do we see things at the game or even first time on TV and then find out we were wide of the mark. The amount of coverage these days on refereeing decisions, the close up camera angles and the slow motion view all make it easy for us to criticise ref's for their decision forgetting that they were not privvy to such analitical viewing.

Willie Collum has made a few bad decisions this season - especially in big games. However over the piece he hasn't had that tragic a season. All the sendings off that he has made have been legit - he was following the rule book. It is something else to disagree with the rules but on the other hand he would have got his baws booted if he hadn't made those decisions. That's the way of it.

Our referees are far from perfect,but either is the system. Englands referees are no great shakes either because human error is always going to come into play. The game is getting faster(well...) and players are getting better at falling over - it's not always easy to tell on first viewing.

until someone grows a set of balls and introduces some form of technology then it will always be the same.Unfortunately Football - probably the worlds highest grossing sport - refuses to spend money in this field and is left in the dark ages of sport technology.

Think it should he full time job too. Would make it better imo

And then all the best ones would leave. Over the last 5-10 years the majority of the best refs have been highly paid proffessionals in their day jobs. What would the SPL pay a pro ref? I can't imagine they would go above £35k. That figure isn't going to appeal to anyone who is busy making £100k+ per year.

And then all the best ones would leave. Over the last 5-10 years the majority of the best refs have been highly paid proffessionals in their day jobs. What would the SPL pay a pro ref? I can't imagine they would go above £35k. That figure isn't going to appeal to anyone who is busy making £100k+ per year.

being a grade one ref seems to be a bit of a closed shop. as you say most of the guys are white collar proffessionals, perhaps we would have a better standard of referees if it was opened up to a wider range of people. has there ever been any comment about why teachers, accountants and polis are so over represented?

there is always talk about getting ex players in to do it which is not a bad idea but there is no reason why it has to be spl/sfl players, it's safe to say there would be more playing at lower levels. to get the level that a guy like collum is at now it seems you have to be involved from your early 20s, if they were serious about raising standards they would find a way to bring through guys who have 10-15 playing experience under their belts.

absolute bollocks ex players...seriously..!! you are deluding yourself. Can you imagine a scottidh cup final between the old firm refereered by someone like Terry Butcher...fuck off non starter. can you imagine the can of worms that would open up it would send the game into freefall. can you imagine the paranoia of Celtic fans then. I know you say it may not be ex SPL players but the thought of an ex professional player being a ref is a non starter

And do you seriously think a player would be remotely neutral if 'his' :pleasantry: team was playing in a crucial game and he had the final say in a last minute penalty decision. Fantasy land and I for one would be the first to be in the No queue and quite vociferous about it. The game is bad enough without ex professionals being refs. Would lead to all sorts of bother in the terracing if there was even a hint of favouritism from one of the old boys :aggressive:

Well, you could solve that by having a transition phase where current refs can either stay part-time or go full-time, but insist on full-time for all new refs.

Never been all that convinced that full time refs are a good idea, though. What would they actually do for most of the week and over the summer to earn their money, that the part-time ones don't do already?

Yep steelboy i know a hell of a lot of ex amateurs and juniors who went onto become good grade 3-2 whistlers but refused to go further because they just didnt fancy all the crap that went with level 1 refs. Windows getting put in, getting followed home, death threats etc..and a terrible governing body who hang refs out to dry and dont back them in any way.

Does anyone know if any penalty points picked up by players in the league run in can effect their availability in the Cup Final?

No, that's why Jennings could play the cup games. A straight red for violent conduct in the last game would mean a ban for the cup final.