John Boyle - Memories Of His Spell In Charge

David

With Mr Boyle due to call it a day at the end of this season I thought a thread to remember some of the positive stuff (although I'm sure there'll be those who wish to concentrate on the negative) he has done for the club over the past 14 years or so.

First of all, no one will ever forget the turbulent spell from 1997 until the early 2000's, when we saw a managerial roll call that included Billy Davies, Eric Black & Terry Butcher. We were close to going to the wall, and managed to avoid relegation on a technicality.

Whilst no one will ever forget or try to downplay that period, it's worth remembering that Boyle steered the ship out of those waters, making some unpopular & difficult decisions, but doing what had to be done to get us back on track, including reducing our yearly losses to one of the lowest in the SPL at the time.

Excluding a short stint with Malpas as manager it can be said that most of Boyle's managerial appointments have been sound. We've seen the likes of Butcher, Mark McGhee, Craig Brown (boo, hiss etc) and finally Stuart McCall.

We've also seen the likes of Faddy, Don Goodman, Andy Goram, John Spencer, Dirk Lehmann, Scott McDonald, Jim Hamilton, Phil, Ross McCormack, the Juke & big Klimpl to mention but a few pass through the door of Fir Park.

Couple all of that with various European excursions through the years, I think it's safe to say that Boyle has given us more ups than downs.

Let's hope he finishes his stint at Fir Park on a high come May 21st.

• Like 1

IMO he's learn from his mistakes and he has shown his passion for the club on may occasions (most recently tell Brown he was a old git)

Thanks for keeping the best roller coaster in the world on the rail :notworthy:

Mad televised rants against the Old Firm were classics.

I suppose the one match I most 'connect' to John Boyle was the 2-1 win against Rangers at Fir Park when John Spencer scored the winner on his debut.

Seemed like a new era of success and big name signings was coming...

I always had it in my head that was a 1-0 game.

It was 1-0 that night, Spencer scored the only goal of the game. Ya_bezzer is probably thinking of the game from the season before that when we beat Rangers 2-1 at Fir Park when Coyle & Falconer scored for us.

It was 1-0 that night, Spencer scored the only goal of the game. Ya_bezzer is probably thinking of the game from the season before that when we beat Rangers 2-1 at Fir Park when Coyle & Falconer scored for us.

No, not thinking of that game.

Weird, I thought Derek Adams scored in that match and Spencer got the winner.

Looked it up, 1-0. Memory playing tricks!

I think Boyles proved you don't need masses of cash to have success, all you need is the right manager (not neccessarily the best) at the helm and a general hard working attitude running through the club. His appointments over the last 4 years in particular have been shrewd (gannon arguably the exception) and I hope whoever makes these decisions in the future will have an eye for a manger in the Boyle seems to.

I think Gannon was clearly an arse but he left us a legacy with Jennings and Humphrey. I reckon this season would have been nothing if Gannon hadn't laid the foundations last year. Managerial appointments have been superb - not once has he appointed someone with experience managing in the SPL and its yielded results. I think that when these folks have come in and been unknown to the rest and given us a wee head start. You can argue with some of his policies, some of his decisions, some of the fights he got into but you can never argue that his heart was in the job for the club. I don't have a specific memory but he has undoubtedly been good for us.

I think Boyles proved you don't need masses of cash to have success, all you need is the right manager (not neccessarily the best) at the helm and a general hard working attitude running through the club. His appointments over the last 4 years in particular have been shrewd (gannon arguably the exception) and I hope whoever makes these decisions in the future will have an eye for a manger in the Boyle seems to.

I would say that Gannon's was probably the shrewdest piece of business over that period and it's a shame that personalities and Gannon's way with people prevented us from fully seeing his methods and ideas come to fruition!

Would say that Boyle is walking away leaving us probably stronger on and off the pitch than we have been in years and thats due in part to McGhee, Gannon, Brown and McCalls more recent additions. It's a big summer coming up with the club more financially stable than its been over the last decade and hopefully the chance to retain and add to our paper thin squad - all be it a stunning paper thin squad!

Boyle has made some very good business decisions that were very poor football decisions and alienated the fans from him for some time but he has lost a lot of cash whilst living the dream and I didnt see many others queuing up to takeover and pump the money in!

Thanks for the memories JB.

Apart from the major low of Administration, we've been in the top six more often than not, in europe every other year, cup semis and finals.

Every though the press and other teams fans like to portray him as being a bit of a figure of ridicule, he didn't make his millions by being a mug. He has raised the profile of the club, employed some really good and unexpected managers, at the start he put his money where his mouth is and at least tried to bring more fans through the gates.

He leave us on a sound financial footing, not exactly flush but at least we aren't in debt up to our eyeballs. Giving up his shares to be sold for the good of the club and hopefully more community ownership is a brilliant thing for him to have done in my eyes.

Yeah I know he made some big mistakes but If nothing else, it hasn't been dull and we'll probably look back at him being in control during one of the most successful periods in our clubs history.

I think if anyone ever took it upon themselves to do it, and Boyle was open enough to contribute there would be a fantastic book in there covering his tenure at Fir Park.

Even beyond the stuff that's been mentioned already there's plenty material. There's the unequivocal faith that was placed Pat Nevin in the early years then the severing of ties when we went into administration.

The handling of the departures of various managers such as Billy Davies who appeared to infer there was some kind of gagging order in place when he left and he would reveal all when the time was right.

The fall out with Shaun Teale over his new contract.

The Lanarkshire United idea.

The proposed sale of the club to whathisface Coakley and why he stepped back from the deal.

Just a few other things I can think off that would make interesting reading.

What a way to go out and finishing chapter it would be if we could round off his time at Motherwell by winning the Scottish Cup!!