Where Do The Board Of Mfc Currently Stand On Reconstruction

Steve Diggle

Good interview with serial shagger Stephen Thompson of Dundee Utd who seems to conveying that his board are in broad disagreement with the move to top 10 and agree with many concerns put forward by supporters (Non armchair variety) re kick off times match scheduling etc.

Got me thinking that we heard a while back that our board were considering their position / forming a view / consulting with supporters etc.

Anyone know where we are with that? I certainly haven't read anything we've had further meetings at Hampden with another planned in a week or two.

We must have contributed to these discussions / be preparing for the next. What's our stance?

Anyway I'm with Thompson on the majority of his views and admire the fact that he has the balls to regularly stand his ground.

Opposition to a 10-team top flight remains the main obstacle to Dundee United backing the Scottish Premier League's proposed package of reforms.

"Why does it have to be the full package or nothing?" said chairman Stephen Thompson. "That seems daft when there are lots of good things in it.

"We can merge the governing bodies, have play-offs, start the season earlier, have a winter break.

"But is 10 what we want at the top? I'm not convinced."

A working party of SPL member clubs has compiled a comprehensive strategy document, with a return to a 10-team league the flagship proposal.

However, 11 of the 12 clubs need to provide their backing for any change in league structure to be approved and United are against a top 10, along with Kilmarnock and Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

"There are a lot of good things in the SPL strategy document, but we are totally unconvinced that a top 10 is the right way forward," said Thompson when talking to BBC Scotland.

"It's been quite heated round the SPL table at times over the whole issue. Some people have very strong views.

"Everyone is entitled to their view and I'm as entitled as anyone. My family has put £5.5m into this club. But it's not just my view, it's my board's view.

Continue reading the main story

I don't think the game in Scotland is anything like as bad as people make out

Stephen Thompson

Dundee United chairman

"There are a whole load of issues to be looked at. Not just a league of 10.

"What's to stop us, with a 12, having play-offs now? I don't like the split. This club has suffered by not having another Old Firm game at home this season, for example.

"We were third in the league last year and won the Scottish Cup - and our crowds were down nearly 10%. It's a very tough world for people - football is too expensive."

The SPL has twice postponed a vote on its proposals for reconstruction and was hoping to see a favourable show of hands later this month.

Thompson is unaware of any planned meeting of the top-flight clubs but spoke of the need to resolve the issue one way or another.

"We're only three months from the start of next season and people are still talking about voting on relegation for next year," he explained.

"We have to end the uncertainty. Clubs are putting budgets in place."

The United chairman pointed out what he believes are the drawbacks of having only 10 teams.

"They say we'll get a better TV deal, bigger crowds, it will be more exciting, etc," said Thompson.

"Play-offs most certainly make it more exciting. Tenth gets relegated and 8th and 9th go into a play-off. That might be good for neutrals, but it certainly won't be if your club is involved.

"We need a TV deal. Without one, Scottish football is finished, but I think we've had 40 different kick-off times since the SPL was formed.

"12.15 on a Saturday or Sunday, you can't sell commercial hospitality, the fans don't turn up and people can't plan. We hardly ever get three o'clock on a Saturday now.

"The priority will be to get away from the bottom of the league from day one and it will be pretty cut-throat."

Thompson is not convinced by those who have warned that the SPL proposals are the only way of saving Scottish football.

"I don't think the game is anything like as bad as people make out," he added.

"If we keep saying the game is bad, people will start believing it.

"Yes, it's tough and there are things wrong with it, but I still think the future is bright."

Thompson is an idiot. The most vociferous when discussing his opposition of the move to a ten, only to completely change his opinion when it looked like it might be pushed through to a 10 team league. Now it's looking more and more unlikely again he is shouting his mouth off about how he is for the fan's and completely against any change to 10. He's an attention seeker.

Mentioned before it's been all too quiet on this for too long

A cynical man would suggest views are being stifled , not me tho ;)

What ever happened to the fans survey?

So glad the good times are back and we don't need to fret about the game dying on it's arse

• Like 1

Motherwell will vote for a new 10-club Scottish Premier League - should the proposal be altered to reduce the immediate dangers to their own club.

Vice-chairman Derek Weir told BBC Scotland that his club think next season is too soon to make a change.

And Well also would prefer one rather than two SPL clubs being involved in relegation play-offs every season.

"We would not want to see an eighth-placed side having to go into a play off - that is too much," said Weir.

The SPL strategy document had targeted next season as the one where, at its conclusion, the top-flight would be reduced to 10 teams.

But Dundee United this week reiterated their opposition to reducing the number of top-flight clubs from the present 12 while stressing that they were keen on the other proposals.

Kilmarnock and Inverness Caledonian Thistle are also thought to be continuing their opposition ahead of a vote that has already been delayed from March until May because it was unlikely to achieve the necessary 11-1 majority.

And Weir says the move comes too soon for his club because current Motherwell owner John Boyle is set to hand over his shareholding to a new consortium at the end of the season.

"We see the need for change and are fully engaged in the process," said their vice-chairman.

"But we have indicated the changes to the current strategy that we would like to see, which would allow us to vote for a new league of 10.

"There are a couple of outstanding points which concern us. We are in the process of a change of ownership and the proposals to move to a new set-up for next season come too soon for us.

"If we knew how much time there was to prepare for a new set-up, we would be happier. At the moment, we don't have enough time to plan ahead given the change of ownership which we have coming.

"We also think that only the ninth and 10th-placed teams in a new 10-club league should be involved in relegation and play-offs.

"If those outstanding points can be addressed then we are supportive of the proposals."

Weir also indicated that the move to 10 clubs could be a temporary arrangement in progressing to a bigger top league in the future.

"The new set-up would allow clubs to strengthen financially and once that is achieved then we could move towards a bigger league in the future, which most of us want," he added.

Seems fair enough

the 10 team spl proposal is a pile of steaming pish

"Weir also indicated that the move to 10 clubs could be a temporary arrangement in progressing to a bigger top league in the future.

"The new set-up would allow clubs to strengthen financially and once that is achieved then we could move towards a bigger league in the future, which most of us want," he added.

Guarunfuckintee it

I think the 10 team league supporters + Neil Doncaster are missing a trick by not clarifying and advertising the "step to a larger league" agenda.

Im sure alot of fans would find the 10 team situation alot more palatable if subsequent expansions were outlined as the mid/long term aim.

I think the 10 team league supporters + Neil Doncaster are missing a trick by not clarifying and advertising the "step to a larger league" agenda.

That's because no amount of clarification could explain how reducing the number of teams to 10 would be a step towards a larger league.

• Like 1

See ya later ,

ten team SPL , football as spectator sport dies

fans interests at heart, utter tripe.

BAWS!

Exactly.

The only way for a 10 team league could possibly work is to use any extra money coming in to significantly reduce ticket prices. And we all know that wont happen.

Poor stuff.

Im sure alot of fans would find the 10 team situation alot more palatable if subsequent expansions were outlined as the mid/long term aim.

Definitely needs explaining, can't see it working myself and don't trust the powers that be one bit.

• Like 1

and to think i was close to saying stuff it and buying my season ticket.

no fans = no money, you would think they would understand that.

the section that really gets me from the plans is the relegation, they want up to 8th to be involved in a relegation play off. is there another league in Europe's top 10/20 (where we think we should be) that allows a team, that should be relegated, to save themselves.

Also sure we have the smallest top league in the whole of europe as it stands just now.

I've got a few problems with this.

One being the timing / sequence of events.

I believe no matter what format it was in the fans survey should have been published before this statement.

My own expectation is that the survey will be at odds with the boards view. That's nothing to do with my personal view just my assessment of what the consensus on here was.

This means that Weir can make the statement without having to refer to the findings of his own clubs supporters views and leaves the club open to the criticism that fans views have been either suppressed or disregarded.

More importantly for me it's disappointing that the statement is all about how we are driven by our own situation, even asking for time to get ourselves sorted out at board level first.

Whilst I know the club needs to survive. I'd be more impressed if the statement screamed 'for the good of the game in Scotland', 'what the fans want', 'tv can't dictate' somewhere. Instead of smacking purely of self preservation.

I wish the diddy teams had courage.

None of us know what's happening with our club at the end of the season, but the board will konw that's for sure. They will do what's best for us, AGAIN that is for sure, for them to come out and make that statement, knowing the majority of our feelings on the subject shows to me things, that we don't know about yet are going to happen, WE HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER, the CLUB and the FANS.We might be in for a surprise we might not.

A bit vague that sir.

Needs to be more transparency and dialogue than there currently is.

There's nothing more i can add to that Steve, until we all know what the club/board plans are with JB leaving and all. What i'm trying to say is we can't just jump down there throats. They want success as much as we do.And we all will be in there plans to move the club forward.We have to give them the time they will need.

None of us know what's happening with our club at the end of the season, but the board will know that's for sure. They will do what's best for us, AGAIN that is for sure, for them to come out and make that statement, knowing the majority of our feelings on the subject shows to me things, that we don't know about yet are going to happen, WE HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER, the CLUB and the FANS.We might be in for a surprise we might not.

yo_dawg_at_first_i_was_like_I_got_married_last_weekend-s480x867-63543-580.jpg