The Honesty Page

Yoshi-1991

I've never been an optimist but Cup Finals by their very nature are one offs. We have already proven this season that we can beat Celtic, today apart Celtic have never actually run all over us, their wins have beeen fairly close.

I reckon we will go into this game with a fair amount of confidence, not enough to get too cocky, but enough to know if we do our job properly then we have a reasonable chance to lift the Cup. I reckon 1-0 Motherwell.

Heart - 2-1 Motherwell

Head - 2-1 Motherwell.

Why? Because I think we'll score first, they'll score, and then we'll go through about 70 minutes of pant shitting fear before someone mental bags a winner.

Someone mental - Hammell, Hately, Jenno, Las, Jones, Jeffers, Crags, Ross.

It's a one-off game, with a one-off atmosphere. Except for the men opposite us being in green & white it'll bear no real resemblance to todays game at all.

How many of our players have played in a national cup final? They'll be amped up. It's their world cup final, and most of them will know the respect and legend that has been created by the class of '91.

I have absolutely no idea how it'll go, but I just hope we don't come away from the game with any regrets. If we lose, we lose whilst giving 100%.

That's all I ask.

Right, this is the page for no bull shit, no fannying about and day dreaming. This is where you spill your true thoughts about the final, and your REAL score prediction. I Hope more than anything we can do it next week, my heart says 2-1 Motherwell, my head says 5-0 Celtic..... now its your turn...spill.

Finally a dose of realism on this board. Can only echo what you've said here, in that I hope we win but I just can't see it atall. I've just watched the highlights of today's game and also Neil Lennon's speech at the end of the game. They absolutely determined to win silverware this season and they will not lose to us next Saturday, it just won't happen. If they come out the traps flying then this final will be over by half time.

I'm not predicting a score but I honestly think we can be the cup holders this time next week.

Celtic are favorites and we will have to play better than we have since the semi final to stand any chance but we've already beaten them (quite comprehensively as it turned out) this season and we can do it again.

This Celtic team is not some all conquering juggernaut. They lost to Inverness quite recently and have bottled quite a number of high profile games under Lennon's stewardship.

I'm a lifelong fan of Motherwell FC so you'd expect me to say this but I've just got some kind of hunch, a 'feeling' that we can do this against all the odds on the 20th anniversary of our last victory.

'Mon the 'Well!

Finally a dose of realism on this board. Can only echo what you've said here, in that I hope we win but I just can't see it atall. I've just watched the highlights of today's game and also Neil Lennon's speech at the end of the game. They absolutely determined to win silverware this season and they will not lose to us next Saturday, it just won't happen. If they come out the traps flying then this final will be over by half time.

Not as pessimistic as the last time around then.

If Celtic only beat us by a three goal margin then it will be a good result for us.

Let's face the facts here. We are rubbish and can't score in a brothel just now and are up against a Celtic side who are by far and away the best side in the country just now and are unbeaten in something like eighteen matches, scoring goals for fun and will be on an almighty high having just thumped Rangers, who don't forget took six off us not two weeks ago without breaking sweat. Celtic have players who can absolutely rip opponents to shreds, for instance Commons, Izaguirre, Brown, Samaras & Hooper and if they can destroy Rangers then God knows what they could do to our disjointed, low in confidence, sorry mob.

8-0 to the Hoops.

Cup Finals are not about reality. It's all about dreams. It's why we buy the ticket.
  • Like 1

Well the hard work in getting to the final has been done. Everyone dreams of getting to the final of the Scottish Cup. How many of us out there, young and old, wouldn't give everything for that opportunity to slip on that Claret and Amber shirt and run out in the May sunshine at Hampden in the cup final?

11 of the boys will do that on Saturday and I for one am a little bit jealous.

All I want is for the boys to try and give their all. If they do and we get beat, I'll be gutted but proud. Proud that they matched Celtic to a man but just didn't get that lucky break, bounce of the ball, offside decision, penalty decision, rub of the green, whatever!

I think this thread was created because we all know the Motherwell that we hold so dear, so well. It's a defence mechanism. "If we don't expect to win, when we do, it's great". How many times have we went to games, expecting to win and we don't turn up. So many examples and I can't think of any at the moment.

But it's the cup final! Everyone will be watching Motherwell vs Celtic - The Cup Final. There are multiple films and everything about the quest for glory. It's that dream that our small club, for one day, are the headline act. Motherwell - Scottish Cup Winners. I'm getting excited just typing it.

So everyone with predictions and line-ups, form and league positions, it really doesn't matter come three o'clock on Saturday. What matters is that each of those eleven fellas in OUR beloved claret and amber, BELIEVE.

Just like I believe, and everyone else on this board believes. And come what may, on 4.45pm (or 5:30pm :mellow: ) we will have our reward.

We will have our new heroes!

• Like 1

I'll bet you're a right bundle of laughs at parties, aren't you?

• Like 3

I actually think that we have a better chance of winning the Cup now that Celtic have lost the League. Celtic and Rangers don't care about the Cup, unless they're playing each other. They're both so blinkered and parochial in their approach to football and life in general that they only care about getting one over on the other lot. Celtic winning the Cup won't make up for losing the league.

On to the actual game.... I think it will go one of two ways. The first being glorious failure. We will be winning 1-0 approaching the 90 minute mark having played them off the park, missed numerous chances and had penalty claim(s) turned down only for Celtic to either scored two very late goals ala Skippy Sunday or equalise and go on and win in extra time. The second being a re-run of the 2005 CIS Cup Final.

I always believe Motherwell will win, no matter who we play. If the fans don't think we can do it why should the players.

Remember how good we felt on the 18th of May 91? Let the younger fans enjoy that feeling of telling stories for twenty years to the next generation of steelmen.

If all else fails just picture the faces of that wee Judas Broon and the rancid neil lemon when Craggs holds the cup aloft.

GIRUY

'Mon the 'Well

Hello,

Sorry, I do feel on our current form and that of the Smeltic that we will get tonked. Probably a repeat of yesterday. 4:0.

If we lie back, we will get thumped.

I want to be proved wrong!!!

Here's to a day out and hopefully Europe again, however I can't see it.

Mon the 'Well

Whilst Celtic are undoubtably favourites, the beauty of the game is that anything can happen.

We have beaten them before, we will beat them again and there's no reason why it can't be on Saturday.

Even if we go a goal down we are still very much in it. It only takes a few seconds for us to equalise.

Just get behind the team and hope for the best! :drinks:

On to the actual game.... I think it will go one of two ways. The first being glorious failure. We will be winning 1-0 approaching the 90 minute mark having played them off the park, missed numerous chances and had penalty claim(s) turned down only for Celtic to either scored two very late goals ala Skippy Sunday or equalise and go on and win in extra time. The second being a re-run of the 2005 CIS Cup Final.

That's what I think aswell, it's either going to be a hammering or a heartache. I've a horrible vision of them scoring a late goal or two to snatch it from us or beating us on penalties and really getting revenge over us for May 2005. If anything, I'd probably find an absolute pasting, horrible as it would be to watch easier to take than that happening.

Not looking forward to this final atall.