Raise A Glass To The Ones That Won't Be Here This Time Round

Steve Diggle

A Scottish Cup Final is mega special and last time round for those that were there was just an astonishing occasion full of highs and lows. And we wondered if it would ever be repeated.

As well as Phil, Coop, Jamie and even young Mowgli there are many who were there in claret and amber that day that unfortunately won't be with us on Saturday.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about them this week and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had similar thoughts.

My old man and my brother in law - were just absolutely immense to go the games with - and it's just never been the same since they both passed in '96. But what memories of following 'Well all over the country with them.

Here's to John and Muir as well as my mates old man Tommy - I hope the boys do you proud again.

C'mon the 'Well

"Get up and dance, Get up and smile, Getup and drink to the days that are gone in the shortest while"

cup.jpg

• Like 7

Very nice posts........... thanks SD, I was thinking about that a lot this week, too...(as you know...)

Not forgetting your maw and my maw, of course...who had to put up with a lot of our nonsense over the years.

I think Pie mentioned Bomis in a post last year,,,,,,,,,didn't really know the guy, but he always seemed to be around at the big games in the 70's / 80's

• Like 1

When we headed off to Hampden in '91, we left my mum and her mum behind at home. Neither of them had any interest in football, but turned out they'd both watched the game anyway to see what all the fuss was about (although my mum always claimed my gran had made her watch it!) Might not have been 'Well fans most of the time, but I suppose they were that day. We'll be leaving from the same house on Saturday, but they're both gone now.

• Like 1

Here's to my Grandad who took me to my first ever game - the 1991 cup final. He'd love to have seen this one.

Also, to Elky, who was a member of the boards and the Gaidhealtach Dossers who passed away last year.

:cheers:

i remember my grandad was supposed to tape the game for me however after they hit the post and got a goal chopped off he thought we where going to get humped and turned the tape off!!!!!

luckly i managed to get a copy elsewhere we lost him 2 years ago im sure he will be watching from up there somewhere hopefully with a smile on his face

My Grandad & Dad, both gone now, took me to my 1st game a League cup section game in the 60's & we wupped Albion Rovers 6-0. Thought it would be like that every game! My Dad and I had season tickets for the then main stand in late 60's early 70's. Even into my 30's he'd turn up with things like especially made birthday cakes in the design of strip at the time. Latterly when he couldn't go the boys and I would stop by his house for rolls n sausage on way to game. I'll be thinking about that league cup game before k.o. on Sat.

A very poignant thread this. I raise my glass to all of those who won't be with us when we head to Hampden on Saturday. I hope we can do it for you all.

Pat AKA Wellworn who used to contribute to these forums! I'm sure he'll be looking down on the guys with a beer in hand. An absolute gent and I'm sure he would have been in Jack Daniels pre and post match having a beer with Rab and the rest of the well support. :drinks:

He would have indeed, i'm sure he would have been loving all the cup final hype.

I'll be having a few beers for my dad in JD's before the game, so maybe see you there. :cheers:

• Like 1

Great thread! My old man took me to football in the 60's when I was 18 months many a happy time with him all over watching the Well. Him and my grandad will both be watching from on high,heres to a great day for all well fans past and present

My dad started taking me to Fir Park in the 1960's and I began repaying him in the 1970's when I started working, getting tickets for the semi-final against Rangers, after getting cheated out of that match I swore to him the minute we got to another final we'd be there. In 1991 I queued for hours to get us tickets and in the end he was too ill to go. His health improved enough later that year for him to get to Fir Park for Motherwell's first European tie against Katowice. Something I am eternally grateful for, as it was our last match together. I'll raise a glass to him before and after the final.

• Like 1

The legend who was my dad - travelled the length and breadth of the country in my early years - Stoke, Spurs, Blackburn, Fulham - with him. He's been sorely missed since he passed away 10 years ago, but there is never a game goes by where I don't think about him - Saturday will be no different, though I'm sure I'll choke back a tear as the team enters the stadium.

Also have a thought and will raise a glass for my old mucker Davie Fawcett - Coltness, boy would he have enjoyed this - taken all too soon, but he'll be leading the cheering wherever he is.

Brilliant thread. As well as thinking of all the aforementioned individuals, I will be bringing my mum's spirit to Hampden. She was the reason I am so involved in sport and that is why I asked my dad to take me to watch his team many years ago...been hooked ever since!

As well as the players from 91 who passed away far too young, Davie Cooper, Phil O'Donnell, Jamie Dolan and Paul McGrillen,

My old man, Jim, pimmy, Irving who took me to my first game against Dumbarton, in 1966, I think.

Passed away in 2000. I am glad to say he was at the 1991 final with me as he had missed the 1952 final due to National Service with the R.A.F.

He took me to loads of games and I can remember going down to Stoke for the Texaco cup game, it was brilliant, also the game against Tottenham Hotspur we were in the Main Stand.

Fantastic memories, and as the title says, I will raise a glass for my da, my maw and my Nana as well as all former Well players and fans, (I knew Pat from Jack Daniels as well).

You don't miss someone until they are gone and I miss my parents and Nana so much as I am sure everybody else who has lost a parent or lived one does.

I just hope they have some power up there in Heaven and help us to lift this cup.

If it wasn't for my Dad I'd never have been a well fan. Took me to my first game in '94 when I was 6. He sadly passed away far too young in '98. He was a huge huge Motherwell fan and even got his ashes scattered on the Fir Park turf. Here's hoping we can parade the trophy back at the Ark so he can join in the celebrations

Got me all emotional now :drinks:

MON RA WELL

Also, A glass raised to 'Wellard. Another well fan from this forums previous encarnation taken way too young.

Was going to mention Wellard but as I didn't know him peersonallt didn't feel I had the right. Only 'knew' him through these boards and a few PMs but he seemed a sound guy and a right good laugh. Always looked out for his name on a thread cos I knew a chuckle wouldn't be far away. Here's to him and all the others mentioned in this thread. Win ir lose, I am sure the fans won't let them down on Sat.

A real tear in the eye and a lump in the throat reading this one.

My dad introduced me to Fir Park aged 4. He was too young to go to the 52 final so 91 was a big deal for the both of us. Because it was such a big deal my mum came to the game with us, the only time the 3 of us ever went to a game together.

Lost both of them since 91 so Saturday will be very emotional.

For Coop, Phil, Jamie, Mowgli and everyone else who has lost someone close since 91 lets make it a day they could be proud of. Mon the Steelmen!

I thought I was losing my dad to a stroke a couple of years ago, the thought of this game being here and him not being here wouldve been so hard to bare with. He took me to my very first game, the 1991 Cup Final. The man got me hooked, I know hes still here but I'd like to raise a glass to him :cheers:

But also to the players we have lost since and also to every single one of you that have lost a loved one. I hope Motherwell do it for them on Saturday so we can raise a glass and say "We did it!"

After '91, I was always thinking how lucky my Dad was to have seen the Dossers win their two Scottish cups. He was a staunch Well fan and he got laid to rest with his colours 8 years ago.

As well as watching over his family, I'm sure he'll be at every game the Well play, and Saturday will be no different, just wish he could have been standing next to me and Jamie, getting as wound up as he always did.

To each and every one of our Well friends and family who have passed on .................... look forward to knowing you'll be there with us tomorrow :notworthy::yahoo:

MON RA DOSSERS