10Th Minute Tribute

The_Craig

Idea shamefully taken from Super_well on the Cup final thread.

How about a minutes applause on the 10th minute for Phil O'Donnell as 10 was his shirt number.

Take the shine off the smellies 'political' tribute, or however they want to paint it.

Discuss

• Like 3

I'd be relucatnt to do this, for slightly different reasons to Mitch.

The 2005 CIS Final was, I feel, named the Cooper Final to give the media an angle to talk about. Rangers and Celtic are in finals all the time so they tend to look for an angle to distinguish the game from an Old Firm team against a provincial club. The only good thing about the whole Neil Lennon carry-on is that there has been no need for the media to look for sub-plots to write about for the final. I was dreading this becoming the "O'Donnell Final". As much respect as I have for Davie Cooper and Phil O'Donnell and their memories, Motherwell cup finals are so rare that they have enoguh significance all of their own. I personally think this Cup Final is about Motherwell and the fans. We have honoured, and continue to honour, the memories of players taken too soon. Saturday should be nothing but one long riotous celebration. No matter the result...

Just my opinion, mind...

• Like 2

My main issue with it is that it reeks of being done just get a "we got a tribute in first" GIRUY to Celtic fans, who will undoubtedly do their thing in the 18th minute.

I also agree with Mitch, the whole Phil thing begins to be repetitive and lack any real meaning after it's constantly trotted out.

• Like 1

I'd be relucatnt to do this, for slightly different reasons to Mitch.The 2005 CIS Final was, I feel, named the Cooper Final to give the media an angle to talk about. Rangers and Celtic are in finals all the time so they tend to look for an angle to distinguish the game from an Old Firm team against a provincial club. The only good thing about the whole Neil Lennon carry-on is that there has been no need for the media to look for sub-plots to write about for the final. I was dreading this becoming the "O'Donnell Final". As much respect as I have for Davie Cooper and Phil O'Donnell and their memories, Motherwell cup finals are so rare that they have enoguh significance all of their own. I personally think this Cup Final is about Motherwell and the fans. We have honoured, and continue to honour, the memories of players taken too soon. Saturday should be nothing but one long riotous celebration. No matter the result...Just my opinion, mind...

Spot on IMO.

My main issue with it is that it reeks of being done just get a "we got a tribute in first" GIRUY to Celtic fans, who will undoubtedly do their thing in the 18th minute.

I also agree with Mitch, the whole Phil thing begins to be repetitive and lack any real meaning after it's constantly trotted out.

As much as I understand the sentiment behind the idea this sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Phil O Donnell will never be forgotten but this does sound reactive to what Celtic are doing rather than a pro-active idea.

Let's get behind the team. As the banner said it's "time for new heroes". That is really what this cup final should be about. That is the team and the fans working extremely hard behind the scenes to make this a day to remember for the rest of our lives.

'mon the well :yahoo::drinks:

I like the idea of a chant of ONE PHIL O'DONNELL in the 10th minute. There is bound to be a chant at some point so 10th minute seems fitting. It doesn't have to be in relation to the Lennon chat, it's in relation to a legend of our club who scored in our last Scottish Cup final. Who knows....he may still have been involved with our club in some aspect right now if the tragedy didn't happen so a wee minute tribute to a great man on a great occasion for us def gets the thumbs up from me

ONE PHIL O'DONNELL :notworthy: :notworthy:

Ambulance chasers... Phil will NEVER be forgotten, but, why the references EVERYtime we achieve anywhere near something of note? Does a disservice to those who matter most tomorrow.

Tomorrow, is about OUR team, time and a place to remember absent friends