Craigan

Motherwell Seagull

Guest JohnnyDefault

Haven't heard many updates on Craigan - hoping it's not too serious.

Find it strange that as club captain that he doesn't travel with the team, but commentates on game - for instance he was covering another SPL game the other week when we were up playing Aberdeen.

I don't have a problem with this - as I hope it's just a simple case of the club letting him attempt to create a career for himself when his playing days are over. Like I say its just strange for him not to be with the team on a matchday - even if he's injured.

Good luck to him whatever. he was immense for us in the run in last year - particularly in those last few home games against Aberdeen and Rangers.

Must admit I found it strange he wasnt up at Aberdeen too. I heard him commentating on our game at Killie last month when he was injured so just assumed he would follow us and just commentate there during the game!

We need him back soon... Mind you I thought Bob did ok his first few games there, although Il prob get shot for saying so! :lol:

Don't think MMG rates him that highly to be honest. If he could have got a centre half in the summer I doubt he would have played this year.

I think him and Klimpl could be a decent partnership for the rest of the season, let the too lightweight Reynolds play in midfield next to Keith. It makes a lot of sense to me this one. Would allow Hughes play further forward and give us a more solid base when from which to play from.

Also hope McLean is back soon, but I've heard it could be a good while yet. To me our good end to last season was in no small part due to his run in the team at right back, he seemed to get better with each game. A real shame for the big guy.

Look at our form since he's been out the team. Coincidence? Maybe...

To be fair we weren't exactly keeping them out when he was in the team either! Although I do agree he does give us much needed experience at the back.

I think our main problem recently (compared to last year at least) is our inabilty to take chances. I think we have scored something like 4 non-free kick goals in the past 8 matches... :lol:

Of course McGhee rates him! He made him Club Captain. He has been commetating on all of our games since injured, and mentioned at the Hibs game he will be due back in a couple of weeks.

Saying that, I know people who listen to Open All Mics just to here Craigan! Turning into a bit of a legend on the mic.

Of course McGhee rates him! He made him Club Captain. He has been commetating on all of our games since injured, and mentioned at the Hibs game he will be due back in a couple of weeks.

Saying that, I know people who listen to Open All Mics just to here Craigan! Turning into a bit of a legend on the mic.

Im almost certain he wasn't commentating on the Aberdeen game but was somewhere else instead... Falkirk maybe?

But I agree McGhee definitely rates him as he wanted to make him captain last time round as well iirc?

Really have missed Craigan since his injury occured. He keeps Reynolds right at the back and although he lacks the speed and height he's really valuable to our defence. Klimpl done well up in Aberdeen and could be the ideal partner alongside Craigan. Reynolds needs to be dropped as far as i'm concerned as the guy needs to get his act together this year, been making far too many errors he shouldn't be.

Would like to see McLean back as soon as possible as he gives us the height we miss at the back. Defence is the priority to sort out at the moment as it's a shambles.

He was not commentating at our game up at Aberdeen. Which surprised me.

I think we've missed him, not saying he is infallible but we are MFC and Craigan is still one of the best we have had or a likely to have.

I think sometimes recently he doesn't get to concentrate on his own game and gets distracted & frustrated leading to some silly mistakes.

The thing is we have a lot of decent defenders but all have their problem area's..

Craigan - Reads the game well, good experience, wins a lot in the air for his height, BUT too slow, small?, terrible distribution

Reynolds - Excellent young prospect, gives us some much needed pace and has saved us quite a few times with this BUT a bit lightweight, certainly needs dropped/rested if possible as 2 seasons non stop is a lot for a young kid

Malcolm - Did well when came in, provides good aggression and good passing ability BUT way too slow and positioning leaves a lot to be desired at times...

McLean - Tall/good in air (?!), but I am never sure why people appear to rate him SO much, he was never that big a player for us before his injuries so dont know if he will be after, but would certainely be useful to have fit!

If we could mix and match some of these guys qualities we could have a pretty decent central defence, but then again I suppose that is part of being Motherwell and not Man Utd etc. If players had it all they inevitably will be playing above our level, or am I too used to watching our defence?!

Craggo was commentating on an Accies game a couple of weeks back and Richard Gordon asked him when he'd be back. Sure he said he was looking to be running again and getting into proper training by the end of last week, and to be available for selection for the game on Monday night. Would be good to have him back I'd say.

Right now I'd much rather have Craigan in the team than not. The experience he offers can't really be matched by anyone else in the team at the moment. He'll always give 100 % and I think that's all you can ask of someone in the team really.

McLean we'll never know how good he can be without him getting a run in the side as it stands when he's fit again. Comparing how he played a couple of seasons ago (I thought he was pretty alright to be honest) with how he'd play if he came into the current team tomorrow doesn't work.

As for Reynolds he might make some mistakes, some of them more visible than others, but when he's playing well you don't tend to notice him because he just gets on with it and I think he gets the job done. I'd like to see him in a more midfield role though, but obviously for now thats just not an option. He'd also probably get along a lot better if certain small fractions of the crowd stopped giving him abuse before he's even touched the ball.

As for Malcolm, sometimes I'd give my Dad a game over him. Can't argue with his free kicks right enough.

When Craigan comes back sooner rather than later i'd pair him with Crimpl in defence with Bible Bob at right back and Mark Reynolds left side of midfield. That would give us more steel about us. We've been too easy to play against in recent weeks. <_< .

After his performances there last year I hope Boab never plays right back again! I have nothing against him, but he was too slow and too positionaly unaware to play there. Id prefer to move Krimpl there in the short term or give the saunders lad a shot....

Guest The Stig

If we can keep Klimpl till the seasons end and McClean can get back to fitness then i'd like to see a defense of.

McClean - Quinn - Klimpl - Hammell

With Lasley and Reynolds in front. Reynolds is one of the better players in our team with the ball at his feet.

I think Craigan is only going to be a bit-part player if we keep Klimpl. Personaly I'd rather have Malcolm in ahead of him.

Probably doesn't belong in the Craigan thread, but there have been people in here mentioning getting Craigan in and Boab out. Added to that, i had an arguament with an ardent Boab hater on Friday evening so this is fresh in my mind.............

Having a quick think over results, this season we have amassed 17 goals (I think). 12 coming from our 3 established strikers with Murphy adding another 2.

No-one else has scored with the exception of Boab who has weighed in with 3 goals.

Put it in perspective, thats 3 goals more than the defence and midfield combined, and 18% of our total goals this year.

Deficiencies in other aspects of his game aside, such as giving up when he is beaten by a man, until the rest of the team start pulling their weight, I would not be in any hurry to drop Boab, a key source of our goals this season.

Apart from that, with the free kicks he has scored already this season, and a few rattled off the bar, any team giving a freekick away to us in a dangerous position will be feart when they see Big Silky marching up with his white boots and Ronaldo ankle socks.

Apart from that, with the free kicks he has scored already this season, and a few rattled off the bar, any team giving a freekick away to us in a dangerous position will be feart when they see Big Silky marching up with his white boots and Ronaldo ankle socks.

correct.