Scottish Cup Final After-Match Banter

Yabba's Turd

If I was Kieth Lasley I would be giving my lawyer a call .

Brown of all people should keep his mouth firmly shut

but i guess thats not the celtic way ,all from the guy that

put himself out for the best part of three months while

trying to take out a killmarnock player at rugby park

Celtic have complained to the BBC about the accusations of sectarian singing at the cup final according to the Sun;

Furious Celtic chiefs last night asked the BBC to explain why Rob McLean and Pat Nevin accused their fans of chanting sectarian songs at the Scottish Cup final.

More than 800 Hoops fans have complained to the Beeb about the pair's claims, made live on air.

And now the club has demanded an explanation for Saturday's comments.

At half-time, presenter McLean said: "Celtic supporters have been singing some sectarian songs during the first half."

Pundit Nevin said: "I'm going to mention it every time I hear it. Let's embarrass these teams."

But Celtic are adamant their supporters did NOT sing any bigoted songs.

Last night a club spokesman said: "We've raised the matter with BBC Scotland and are awaiting their response."

A Beeb spokesman said: "Celtic have been in touch seeking clarification, as have several hundred fans. We will be responding to them."

The club should insist that the SFA charge Brown for bringing the game into disrespute. Can imagine the outcry if the shoe had been on the other foot?

just read McCall's reply to Brown in one of today papers. Well said our manager. Brown is an embarrassment.

Edited by Orinoco

A week down the line am perhaps able to view it more objectively, and while I am bitterly disappionted to lose a final, just like 2005 CIS, we were never really in it tbh. Rather that than a dodgy unlucky loss.

We'll pick ourselves up, brush ourselves down and get on with it because we have nothing to be ashamed off:- we are a provincial club who continue to punch above our weight and have been more successful than Clubs with far greater resources than ourselves.

Motherwell FC :notworthy:

Absolutely pathetic human beings. If it's not Sectarian, the it definitely breached the Terrorism Act. So either way, they should be fucked. Anti-British racists and anti-CoS bigots. The Green Brigade are also anti-semitic too, but they probably don't realise that.

The thing is, Celtic genuinely won't admit that they have a problem. They see those songs as being a form of political protest, not sectarian behaviour. The Scottish Government's stats on the Old Firm's action to sectarian behaviour amongst their own fans speaks for itself.

In the last couple of years, Rangers have handed out 500 bans to people identified as singing songs or making sectarian remarks. Celtic have handed out 2. I have absolutely no love for either side of the Old Firm, but at least one lot can be seen to be trying to do something about their fans.

The problem is that these 'IRA/Republican' songs that Celtic fans sing are NOT sectarian, under religious grounds, whether you like or dislike them. As long as people try to attack such songs as 'sectarian' then they don't have a leg to stand on because all Celtic FC need say is "okay then, explain how such songs fall into the sectarian, under religious grounds, cateogry?" and that is the debate over. Celtic's PR department is top notch and they know full well that the singing of such anthems cannot reasonably bring accusations of 'sectarian chanting, under religious grounds' and a large number of their supporters are also fully aware of this.

If you really want to take the fight to Celtic over what their fans sing then the first thing to do is get the facts straight. Their supporters sing songs that are totally inappropriate for football grounds and promote an organisation that is recognised within the United Kingdom as a terrorist organisation. Challenge them on those grounds and you might find yourself with a stronger case.

IRA songs are NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING to do with religion and cannot in anyway be classed in the same bracket as 'The Billy Boys' when it comes to 'religious sectarianism', but the problem is that so few people can actually understand this. Too many people are scared to venture beyond this "The Old Firm are as bad as each other and have identical problems" stance. In reality both are completely different and raise completely different issues with the songs they sing and I've tried to explain this to numerous amounts of people who moan and greet about the 'Billy Boys' being outlawed and forbidden whilst IRA promoting songs are not, but it seems that some people in the West of Scotland just cannot accept, or understand this.

You want to fight Celtic and win? Well get your facts straight first!

"Up to our knees in f****n blood", Hmmmm

f****n is a political term is it not? Again the Celtic PR machine has labelled the term as derogatory to Catholics whereas Fenianism is also political. Splitting hairs of course but so is claiming songs about the IRA are not sectarian. Let them argue the finer points, they are both the same when it comes down to it.

• Like 1

I watched a bit of a programme called the History of Ireland and it is indeed a very mixed up tale, like Wolfe Tone being Protestant but revered in Republican circles for example, or defeated Royalists from England joining forces with revolting Catholics in Ireland.

(By revolting I mean Catholics rising up in revolt by the way, just in case you thought......never mind :rolleyes: )

I don't begin to understand it, indeed I found myself winding back to listen to parts again it was so confusing.

How many could attempt to make head or tail of it now is beyond me. But they are "Twa cheeks of the same erse" and that's all we need to bother with.

The problem is that these 'IRA/Republican' songs that Celtic fans sing are NOT sectarian, under religious grounds, whether you like or dislike them. As long as people try to attack such songs as 'sectarian' then they don't have a leg to stand on because all Celtic FC need say is "okay then, explain how such songs fall into the sectarian, under religious grounds, cateogry?" and that is the debate over. Celtic's PR department is top notch and they know full well that the singing of such anthems cannot reasonably bring accusations of 'sectarian chanting, under religious grounds' and a large number of their supporters are also fully aware of this.

If you really want to take the fight to Celtic over what their fans sing then the first thing to do is get the facts straight. Their supporters sing songs that are totally inappropriate for football grounds and promote an organisation that is recognised within the United Kingdom as a terrorist organisation. Challenge them on those grounds and you might find yourself with a stronger case.

IRA songs are NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING to do with religion and cannot in anyway be classed in the same bracket as 'The Billy Boys' when it comes to 'religious sectarianism', but the problem is that so few people can actually understand this. Too many people are scared to venture beyond this "The Old Firm are as bad as each other and have identical problems" stance. In reality both are completely different and raise completely different issues with the songs they sing and I've tried to explain this to numerous amounts of people who moan and greet about the 'Billy Boys' being outlawed and forbidden whilst IRA promoting songs are not, but it seems that some people in the West of Scotland just cannot accept, or understand this.

You want to fight Celtic and win? Well get your facts straight first!

gerard murphy - the year of the disapearnaces

they managed to half the protestant population of the RoI in about 20 years. sounds like ethnic cleansing to me.

our you can read about the kingsmill massacre where they stopped a van full of catholics and protestants going home from nightshift and proceeded to let the catholics go and murder the protestants.

seems a bit sectarian if you ask me.

Sectarianism doesn't necessarily have to apply to religion though. It refers to intolerance between subdivisions of a group. In this case it is generally used to refer to intolerance between Catholics and Protestants (subdivisions of christianity) but it could easily be applied to a Celtic fan hating all Rangers fans or vice versa as you could easily argue that these are subdivisions of all Scottish fitba' fans.

In saying that though, MJC is spot on. Chanting IRA songs is no different from Muslim extremists openly supporting Al Qaeda and you should be doused in petrol and burned for doing so.

Probably.