Steelmen Online Motherwell Photo Thread

David

did you hit the brewery bar across the road?

thats my teams ground apop

No. I just took a wee drive up 'cos I knew that's where you stayed.

The Brewery was recommended to me by another ex-pat Peyia resident but it was just a swift drive by.

6th time I've stayed in Coral Bay but only the 1st time I've ventured up in to the hills.

No. I just took a wee drive up 'cos I knew that's where you stayed.

The Brewery was recommended to me by another ex-pat Peyia resident but it was just a swift drive by.

6th time I've stayed in Coral Bay but only the 1st time I've ventured up in to the hills.

you should have pm'd me and i would have took you in the ground

Games against this mob will hopefully soon become a distant memory.

This is all too rare colour shot from the early 60s, an era when most sporting images were still shot in black and white.

292nz1d.jpg

That is black n white (originally) is it not? Just been tinted surely?

That is black n white (originally) is it not? Just been tinted surely?

No I reckon this was shot on colour film. There was a small demand for colour in the 60s, usually for football annuals and the like. Ironically I’ve just been copying some Kodachrome transparencies that were shot by my mum in the early 60s, and it wouldn’t surprise me if this was shot on the same film stock. A quick search on snspix will bring up a few early colour football images.

However, colour would only have been used only in daylight games (usually in good weather) as the colour film speed would be too slow to be used in poor light (probably around 64 ASA). Black and white on the other hand could be easily uprated to a higher ASA (800-1600 ASA) for any winter or floodlit games. This was usually sufficient for the press as the print quality was usually shit anyway.

The guy at the back post defintely looks like a tint-job.

You usually find that big games involving one half of the old firm or Scotland (Cup Semi's / Finals) would give picture editors an excuse to commission colour.

This was a lo-resolution "dot screened' scan down loaded from the web. It originally appeared in The Big Book of Football Champions by Purnell and L.T.A. Robinson (1962).

By the 60s the use of colour film was now more widespread and the quickest way to get a colour image was to shoot them in colour. The printing in these early annuals had a technicolour look which was down to the less than subtle printing process. The 'hand coloured' appearance is probably due to that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello, new to the forum. Very interested in the club's history...looking for more photos of 50's and 60's - Aitken, St. John, Roberts, McBride, etc. Anyone have images to post or know of a good site with old Motherwell pics? Cheers.

Best try www.motherwellnet.co.uk quite a few decent snaps around the site. Theres also quite a number of threads throughout this site that are worth a wee check, you just need to search what you are looking for.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am on the hunt for a Motherwell canvas, it is something i can easily get made if there isnt any available.

What I want is an iconic photo of Fir Park old or new filled with fans. Or even an iconic celebration or a match at Fir Park or Hampden.

I am moving to a new house and it wont be complete without this. Would appreciate some pointers or even some snaps to help?

thanks in advance.

• Like 1