Steelmen Online Motherwell Photo Thread

David

5 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Wee numbers, bunnets…….

Different world.

Not to mention collar and tie. I don't think I'm that old (at least in my head), but when I started going to games as a wean in the early 70s it wasn't unusual to see collars and ties in the crowd. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Not to mention collar and tie. I don't think I'm that old (at least in my head), but when I started going to games as a wean in the early 70s it wasn't unusual to see collars and ties in the crowd. 

You used to be able to access footage on-line of an Accies V Motherwell game in 1928 (?) from the Scottish Film Archive. It had a lot of crowd shots of mainly men, of course, wearing shirts and ties and bunnets the width of soup plates (obviously the fashion at the time). Last time I tried to view it access seemed restricted.

I remember in the 60s my father and I were at Douglas Park for an Accies  game (v.  Kilmarnock in the cup?) when he pointed out a man resplendent in Crombie coat and bowler hat (!). He was Jimmy Brownlie, Dundee and Scotland goalkeeper, who I think lived locally at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, El Grew said:

Its highly possible this was taken at the Scottish Cup 3rd Round match from February 1961 which finished up 2-2 with us winning the replay 5-2 at Ibrox. I believe the goalie is Hastie Weir and the No.11 is Bobby Roberts.

Yes, looks likely. Andy Weir, our normal No. 11, was in hospital with meningitis at the time, I believe. Bobby Roberts scored in the replay, when we won 2-5.

Sadly and strangely, no film coverage survives *conspiracy theories start here* :whistling:.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Motherwell’s earliest match worn claret and amber shirt. The club purchased the shirts from Bradford City in 1913. Prior to this Motherwell wore blue shirts.
Made by: Sports and Pastimes Ltd Athletic and School Clothing Manufacturers
On display: At Summerlee Museum, Coatbridge.

EIEOtD4XYAIqsQz.jpg

The yoke wasn't a popular style in Scotland, was it? We then followed Bradford City in switching to stripes before going out on our own with the hoop, which BC have never worn. I notice they played in our "jester's outfit" for a very short time, presumably before good taste prevailed *climbs off hobbyhorse*.

On another non-'Well matter, have you any idea why Aberdeen suddenly switched from black and yellow stripes to red in 1945? Post-war problems producing some dyes and/or striped materials? Other teams seem to have persisted with traditional striped shirts so it's a bit of a mystery. The earlier shirt doesn't seem to have ever resurfaced as a change strip.

16 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

The yoke wasn't a popular style in Scotland, was it? We then followed Bradford City in switching to stripes before going out on our own with the hoop, which BC have never worn. I notice they played in our "jester's outfit" for a very short time, presumably before good taste prevailed *climbs off hobbyhorse*.

On another non-'Well matter, have you any idea why Aberdeen suddenly switched from black and yellow stripes to red in 1945? Post-war problems producing some dyes and/or striped materials? Other teams seem to have persisted with traditional striped shirts so it's a bit of a mystery. The earlier shirt doesn't seem to have ever resurfaced as a change strip.

Wee bit of kit history from the Aberdeen website from a couple of years back. Makes mention of the black and gold briefly and it's brief reintroduction (I had it in my mind it was blue and gold mind you) from the 1990's. Might be of interest...

https://www.afc.co.uk/2017/06/26/the-history-of-the-blue-kit/

1 hour ago, Happy Dosser said:

Thanks, Andy_P. I noticed also that Historical Football Kits does not offer an explanation for the MMs radical change of strip.

Yes no explanation on the Historical Football Kits site which would suggest that it’s not known or wasn’t viewed as important.  The first club in Scotland to use the C&A yolk shirt was the 5th King’s Own Scottish Borderers who merged with Dumfries to form Queen of the South. They first used it in 1912 a year before us. Queen’s paid homage to that top last season. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Happy Dosser said:

Andy Weir (thought it was Pat Quinn for a moment, the pre-Iniesta Iniesta) and Alex Scott of  RFC? Referee unknown to me, although I may have shouted at him.

Any date or score, UBH?

Sadly not. However, going by our socks I suspect the image  is from season 61-62. In that year (according to Wiki) the game at Fir Park ended 2-2 .

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...